One Synth Challenge #168: Voltage Modular 2.7 (MyLoFy Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you! Blade Runner??? Wasn't aware of that at all. I am happy that you are happy with it Frank. Have fun!

The Sound Of Merlin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:48 am VOLTAGE MODULAR TUTORIAL TEMPLATE

Cabinet 3: Some nice free modules. On the CA website you can browse for more free modules by ordering them all starting at the lowest price https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules
Thanks! Great template, very useful even just to remember what you can use.
Other good freebies are: R_Wave Control (Frank will like this one...), Mr Cab Driver and R_Wave Partial Oscillator.

Partial Oscillator is wonderful! Is it actually free??? Great that you mention this as Partial Oscillator is yummie. Well almost everything by R_Ware is great. The oscillator is something special though. Great call!

The Sound Of Merlin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:48 am VOLTAGE MODULAR TUTORIAL TEMPLATE
Thankyou! This will really help!

What do you mean "you can browse for more free modules by ordering them all starting at the lowest price"? Do you have to place an order to get free modules?

Mike777 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:22 pm What do you mean "you can browse for more free modules by ordering them all starting at the lowest price"? Do you have to place an order to get free modules?
I think that just means "ordering them" as in "sorting them", from lowest price to high, so the free ones are listed first. You can just download them directly through the UI, although it does email you a receipt for them.
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:10 pm Are non free but pure Midi modules allowed? I would love to use the MPE input to VM…
I'd interpret that as a no under the rules, and it's kind of a pain as I don't see any other way to get polyphonic MIDI to CV inside an instance. One possibility for polyphony, though, is to run up to five instances, manually split and route your midi between them, and then pipe all their output into the first one where they are available as Audio Ins to be further processed together.

Frank Geppert wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am I checked that Voltage Modular software and it looks promising. The user interface is very good and consistent, much better than the last modular package we used. The documentation is good too. The performance (macro) section is a very good idea. But we are really limited again by only basic tools for subtractive synthesis. Ok, some creative FM workarounds are also possible, I tried that out. Modulation is limited and the modulation tool does not have an input to be controlled by another modulator. But we can use the attenuverter as a voltage mixing tool. It will be a challenge again.

Regards.
Hm ... you seem to have understood the concept of modular ... I don't get where the challenge actually then is. You don't need special FM stuff. Just wire up two OSCs. You can even do feedback loops with VM.
And when you get the concept of Modular it should be kind of easy to go creative with a mind full of experiments... Just one thing ... obviously you can use an Amplifier to amplify an Envelope-Signal by Velocity before going into the Filter Frequency modulator input. So by using an Amp you can scale arbitrary signals by other signals not only audio...
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OK, so as per usual , it's me thats the problem
Now up & walking :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:42 pm OK, so as per usual , it's me thats the problem

We either need dark tracks with perfect drum programming that has intelligent pauses or a good jazzy house-ish track from you real soon! :tu:

Anything will do really! :wink:

:party:
Fusion

Frank Geppert wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am The performance (macro) section is a very good idea. But we are really limited again by only basic tools for subtractive synthesis. Ok, some creative FM workarounds are also possible, I tried that out.
I've not checked out Sound of Merlin's patches yet so this might be in there: if you're looking for an alternative to subtractive synthesis, R_Ware's Partial Oscillator is aimed at additive...

And I note as I post that ^ that it's already been mentioned. I'm so behind...

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:49 pm
Eauson wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:42 pm OK, so as per usual , it's me thats the problem

We either need dark tracks with perfect drum programming that has intelligent pauses or a good jazzy house-ish track from you real soon! :tu:

I'm very rusty, I'll be ajjazzed if I manage anything ;)

Edit
Is VM poly or Mono
Or am I missing something!?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 am

I'm very rusty, I'll be ajjazzed if I manage anything ;)

Edit
Is VM poly or Mono
VM has poly and mono modules but I don’t know if nucleus comes with the poly stuff.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Eauson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 am Is VM poly or Mono
The free Nucleus Bundle has only monophonic modules. Paid stuff would be polyphonic.

SeBaer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:36 am
Eauson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 am Is VM poly or Mono
Halma wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:29 am
Eauson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 am

Edit
Is VM poly or Mono
VM has poly and mono modules but I don’t know if nucleus comes with the poly stuff.
The free Nucleus Bundle has only monophonic modules. Paid stuff would be polyphonic.
Ah , okay, thnx for clarification
:tu:

It's only monophonic CV in the free modules, but I'll point out again that if you run five instances, and send the audio from four of them into the remaining one, then you'll have five separate audio signals to further process in a single instance.*

It's unfortunate because any changes *before* that point need to be done on all 5 instances at once, but that's still easily doable with MIDI CC in many cases. And you have to take care of something to split your midi up between the five voices.

*EDIT: Actually it might not be quite so simple, as I am finding the audio ins are passing *around* the vintage modular VSTi (at least in Reaper), so while they're available to process inside the instance, they're also duplicated unprocessed. The solution is to return the audio from that "master" instance on audio channels 5/6 routed into another track on channels 1/2. Audio outs 1-4 can simply be muted so the audio ins don't pass through.

Return to “Instruments”