Bitwig VS Ableton

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:04 am
Weird -- most folks (including me) think Live easily wins when it comes to warping audio. What do you think Bitwig does better about it?
Live has a better workflow for warping audio. Bitwig may be marginally better in terms of quality of the warping.

sscheetah wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:45 am Overall though Live has a much easier workflow though.
One area that Live is significantly better is slicing loops and related tasks... I never do that myself, so for me, that advantage is not pertinent. Bitwig however has better MPE support and I use that constantly.

So I think that depends on what you do. Bitwig has a number of fundamental advantages such as only needing 1 track to add an arp to an instrument. One of the annoying things about Live is if you modulate a parameter, you can no longer directly edit that parameter. Bitwig is better in this regard.

When I used Live, I used VST instruments almost exclusively. I only used Live instruments a small percentage of the time. This is because the Live instruments are somewhat limited in modulation and Live modulation is clunky and only global, not per voice. In practice, I use Bitwig instruments much more than I ever used Live instruments due to Bitwig's far superior modulation system. So for my uses, Bitwig instruments are much better/more useful than Live's. Someone else may be happy with the amount of modulation built into Live instruments and so their experience will be different than mine.

I really like that Bitwig can open multiple projects at once. I use that constantly.

I also value that I can use the Clip Launcher and Arrange side by side and they are oriented the same.

There are still a few things I miss from Live, but overall, for my needs/interests and what I do, Bitwig is faster and more flowing (less inertia) to start from scratch and get my ideas into solid form.

I'll always have a soft spot for Live cause I got a lot of good work done in it. It's just unlikely I would ever use it again unless I was wanting to collaborate with someone who insisted on it. But for my own use, Bitwig is just better.

+1 to AL that due to the number of M4L devices, chatGPT is able to solve problems like this
is there any M4L device which able to separate chord notes by voices
Yes, there is a Max for Live (M4L) device called "ChordSplitter" that separates chord notes by voice. It allows you to route each voice of a chord to separate MIDI outputs and process each voice individually.
:borg:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:20 pm +1 to AL that due to the number of M4L devices, chatGPT is able to solve problems like this
is there any M4L device which able to separate chord notes by voices
Yes, there is a Max for Live (M4L) device called "ChordSplitter" that separates chord notes by voice. It allows you to route each voice of a chord to separate MIDI outputs and process each voice individually.
:borg:
M4L devices made by some really clever people often make it seem like Live is being updated weekly (well if you hang out at Max4Live.com). The Grid is fast and fun and much easier to make things, but doesn't get to the level of MAX.

Obviously pro's and cons for both, makes you wonder if Bigwig 5 or Liver 12 could change the balance!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

also like the wrapper initiative in AL
https://elisabethhomeland.gumroad.com/

u-he racks would be lovely in BWS
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I was a long time Ableton user. I recently picked it up back up after using Bitwig for a while and now I really don't like Ableton anymore.

I was frustrated with Bitwig's lack of features I was used to in Ableton, like Audio Warping, Audio to Midi, and Groove Extraction.

Now I realize they are just crutches and I decided to get better at producing.
Last edited by HeretoBuy on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeretoBuy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:22 am I was a long time Ableton users and I recently picked it up back up after using Bitwig for a while and now I really don't like Ableton anymore.

I was frustrated with Bitwig's lack of features I was used to in Ableton, like Audio Warping, Audio to Midi, Groove extraction.

Now I realize they are just crutches and I decided to get better at producing.
It's a BUSY two-way street... 8) and I'm still traveling :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

xbitz wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:54 am also like the wrapper initiative in AL

wow, that‘s pretty cool. didn‘t knew that this exist :tu:

liquidsound wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:39 am It's a BUSY two-way street... 8) and I'm still traveling :D
Another thing about key features that Bitwig was missing, there are cheap vsts that do it better than Ableton. It is not like the audio to midi was perfect. It's not like the groove extraction always sounded good. The audio warping is meaningless if I don't know what key it is in.

The midi features Bitwig doesn't have can be replaced with Scaler.

The warping can be replaced by Serato Studio.

What I do to capture a groove of something I like is simply recreate the freaking drum pattern, it's not that hard. Plus, wouldn't it be better to learn how to create a groove than to rely on a software to recreate it?

Now there's stuff like UJAM Beatmaker and XO and Atlas.

The best the thing about Bitwig is the sandboxing and it is bogged down by legacy code and sample packs.

If they would improve the midi capabilities, I would be happy. Make the piano roll as good as FL Studio and I'll be a customer for life.

That really only works for simple plugins. I suppose u-he's Uhbiks could work, but not much else from the company.

I'd rather have some added flexibility to create ones own Bitwig devices like Polymer but for plugins.

HeretoBuy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 am
liquidsound wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:39 am It's a BUSY two-way street... 8) and I'm still traveling :D
Another thing about key features that Bitwig was missing, there are cheap vsts that do it better than Ableton. It is not like the audio to midi was perfect. It's not like the groove extraction always sounded good. The audio warping is meaningless if I don't know what key it is in.

The midi features Bitwig doesn't have can be replaced with Scaler.

The warping can be replaced by Serato Studio.

What I do to capture a groove of something I like is simply recreate the freaking drum pattern, it's not that hard. Plus, wouldn't it be better to learn how to create a groove than to rely on a software to recreate it?

Now there's stuff like UJAM Beatmaker and XO and Atlas.

The best the thing about Bitwig is the sandboxing and it is bogged down by legacy code and sample packs.

If they would improve the midi capabilities, I would be happy. Make the piano roll as good as FL Studio and I'll be a customer for life.
In other words your are saying everything is fine BUT…

I don’t think you understand how Ableton groove pool works at all…

These two daws are one coin. Just two sides and you can keep using them as needed.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Nice!

I prefer Bitwig over Ableton Live.... if it wasn't for Push (I know there is a usable Bigwig script) I would use Logic only
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:09 am I prefer Bitwig over Ableton Live.... if it wasn't for Push (I know there is a usable Bigwig script) I would use Logic only
Same, I view PUSH2 + Live as 'one thing', PUSH just feels like a hardware instrument it is so well integrated with Lives instruments and fx. I have never used it with Bitwig, I tried but I just didn't see the point (as I have Live!)- I think the Novation Launchpad works better with Bitwig if you are Bitwig only (1-1 script)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:47 am Same, I view PUSH2 + Live as 'one thing', PUSH just feels like a hardware instrument it is so well integrated with Lives instruments and fx.
More than that. It's an extension of it. People using Live without Push2 are missing on key usability features. My opinion, though
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”