PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

beely wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:09 pm Yeah, I get it. By honestly opening terminal, typing "pluginreset" (which is my alias) and hitting return takes about 5 seconds, and it's done. Trashing the AU cache, without using Terminal in case you know the path off by heart, involves opening up a Finder window on that folder (however you choose to do it), deleting that file, then re-opening your host, and waiting for usually several minutes to revalidate a typical collection of plugins. (On my old Intel Mac, with loads of plugins, it could take something like half an hour to revalidate them all, all the time with the processor burning the machine up.)
Well, admittedly I only have 3 AU plugins installed, and only because there aren't M1 native VST3 versions available: PG-8X, Virtual Sound Stage 2, and ezplayer. Because they're AU, they will load in native Apple Silicon Studio One, even though they aren't native, themselves.

I either don't install the AU versions when an installer is nice enough to give me the option (which is pretty rare on Mac :x ), or I manually delete them from Plug-Ins > Components after installing.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

échec de validation = validation failed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beely wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:13 pm Try "auval -l" in the terminal. Is "aumu PG8X MLvs - MLVST: PG-8X" listed in there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks, guys. Opening in Terminal and using "killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar" did it for me. I'm looking forward to using this to control my MKS-70.

jamcat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:25 pm Well, admittedly I only have 3 AU plugins installed
Ha, OK, yes I can see why resetting the cache is no big deal for you. However, for someone with, say, 600 plugins, especially some older ones, it can be quite a big deal.
jamcat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:25 pmI either don't install the AU versions when an installer is nice enough to give me the option (which is pretty rare on Mac :x ), or I manually delete them from Plug-Ins > Components after installing.
Same for me, but the other way around - I *only* install the AU versions, and always choose to not install VST2/VST3/AAX/Standalone options when the installer gives them, otherwise I delete them after install.
Hammer26 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:53 pm validation failed
Try "Reset and rescan selection" to revalidate it. It validates for me. I think you said you're on Ventura, it's possible it doesn't work here (I'm on Monterey, and haven't gone to Ventura specifically because of some plugin incompatibilities, like PA.) But I've never had a PG-8X issue in any macOS version I've run, so while not impossible, it's probably not the case it just doesn't work on Ventura.

Otherwise the stand alone version opens on with Ventura but no sound comes out. It is possible that even if I manage to validate the AU plug in there will be the same problem, no sound...

It may not be worth the effort if version 2 is a big upgrade over version 1.

I found this, I don't know if I'm going to take the risk of trying it, it scares me a little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W641vgySJxA

Hammer26 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:53 pm
Your version is showing 2.0.7.
I think the version I have installed is 2.0.6, which is working.

Here is the direct link to the version I’m using from Martin's PG-8X page:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl ... eezxa?dl=0

You'll find it in the folder "MAC-AU-discontinued," named PG-8X_2016-04-02.component.zip.

jamcat wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:12 pm Your version is showing 2.0.7.
It does here as well. The version shown on the component package is 1.0.0 (2012) though. Go figure, but nothing to worry about.
Hammer26 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:45 pm I found this, I don't know if I'm going to take the risk of trying it, it scares me a little...
If you could tell me what "this" is, I'd let you know whether it's worth the bother. (I hate having to go and watch a YouTube video for some period of time just to work out what people are referring to.) Although I suspect it refers to replacing the AU val utility with an older version and validating with that. I'm not sure how doable this is on modern macOS systems, as they lock the system down. Try it if you want, but make sure you can revert anything you do to the system, just in case things go bad.

jamcat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:25 pm I either don't install the AU versions when an installer is nice enough to give me the option (which is pretty rare on Mac :x ), or I manually delete them from Plug-Ins > Components after installing.
It's rare? I can only think of a handful of plugins that DONT give me that option and I've got quite a few. I always install everything but the AAX just in case. Nice to have options when you need them and not like any of these things are taking up tons of space.

Also, for those who need it: shift-cmd-. will turn on/off showing hidden files in Finder.

Just off the top of my head, IK, Arturia, and Universal Audio don't give you the option on Mac, but they do on Windows. So the Arturia Software Center, UA Connect, and the IK T-RackS installer dump tonnes of plugins into the VST, Components, and Avid folders all by themselves. :x
Last edited by jamcat on Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd say my experience is maybe 65% of the time the installer lets me choose what to install, and 35% it doesn't. Obviously, everyone's experience, and the choice of plugins they install will differ, so everyone will probably have slightly different, but entirely valid, experiences. One person may just have spent the last year and *every* plugin they've installed had an installer that installed all formats by default - then it's not surprising they might have the view that installers that give you the choice are "rare" on the Mac. Or vice versa etc...

jamcat wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:29 pm Just off the top of my head, IK, Arturia, and Universal Audio don't give you the option on Mac, but they do on Windows. So the Arturia Software Center, UA Connect, and the IK T-RackS installer dump tonnes of plugins into the VST, Components, and Avid folders all by themselves. :x
Good point. The "software center"-based stuff for sure (I have Arturia and IK). Tho Arturia you can run separate installers and they DO give the options there. IK's thing is obnoxious.

But there is no reason that they should give you an option on Windows and not on Mac, other than conforming to Apple's culture of curated, limited choice on Mac. :shrug:

Also, heaps of software that give you an uninstaller on Windows don't give you one on Mac. In this instance IK Multimedia actually are quite good, as there is an uninstaller included in their install packages.

Return to “Instruments”