Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

adamtrance wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:16 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:36 am Probably the right desisioin...as it Access (and perhaps others) seem to be turning a blind eye to the use of their ROMS, probably as they are discontinued and unsupported. I don't want top get back to the pseudo-legal arguments that have been done to death, but I think the Devs have taken exactly the right approach in initially trying to cooperate with the ROM owners and then making sure they don't piss off the ROM owners!
This. Right now the emulation only does synths that are not available for purchase. The Virus Ti is still being sold brand new, it would be a very shitty move to release an emulator (thats runs THEIR code) for an existing product, it wont be about "preservation" any more. They can preserve it in 20 years when its totally obsolete. The Virus C is emulated, everyone has a free virus now, there are so many other possibilities to emulate, Waldorf, Novation, Nord, etc.. Imagine if they release the Virus Ti and now they crossed a line, and some lawyers show up and it turns into a shit show and the entire project is shut down. They we got the Ti YAY, but thats all you are ever going to get, because there wont by any other synths emulated. Is that worth it?
If you go to the Discord chat there's already TI stuff being tested privately. So I think there's no going back at this point.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 pm
adamtrance wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:16 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:36 am Probably the right desisioin...as it Access (and perhaps others) seem to be turning a blind eye to the use of their ROMS, probably as they are discontinued and unsupported. I don't want top get back to the pseudo-legal arguments that have been done to death, but I think the Devs have taken exactly the right approach in initially trying to cooperate with the ROM owners and then making sure they don't piss off the ROM owners!
This. Right now the emulation only does synths that are not available for purchase. The Virus Ti is still being sold brand new, it would be a very shitty move to release an emulator (thats runs THEIR code) for an existing product, it wont be about "preservation" any more. They can preserve it in 20 years when its totally obsolete. The Virus C is emulated, everyone has a free virus now, there are so many other possibilities to emulate, Waldorf, Novation, Nord, etc.. Imagine if they release the Virus Ti and now they crossed a line, and some lawyers show up and it turns into a shit show and the entire project is shut down. They we got the Ti YAY, but thats all you are ever going to get, because there wont by any other synths emulated. Is that worth it?
If you go to the Discord chat there's already TI stuff being tested privately. So I think there's no going back at this point.
Yes, and Waldorf etc…but that doesn’t mean they will make it available to the public, they are just a bunch of interested (and very clever) people seeing if it can be done.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

How do you save patches? Everytime I try to load a saved patch it doesn't show the .syx.mid patch I saved.

I see the bit about Andromeda. The thing with Virus TI. As far as I can see there's no 'ISO' file for it. There's an installer and some sounds, but not like the Vir A, B, & C. I guess if you purchase one, you get a backup in case of failure. But it's not like it's out on the internet for anyone to find. I love this but I always reach for sounds from Spire, Dune & a Reaktor 5 ensemble called Mr. Thick.

osiris wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 pm But it's not like it's out on the internet for anyone to find.
:scared:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

osiris wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 pm I see the bit about Andromeda. The thing with Virus TI. As far as I can see there's no 'ISO' file for it. There's an installer and some sounds, but not like the Vir A, B, & C. I guess if you purchase one, you get a backup in case of failure. But it's not like it's out on the internet for anyone to find. I love this but I always reach for sounds from Spire, Dune & a Reaktor 5 ensemble called Mr. Thick.
what the actual f are you talking about
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

adamtrance wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 am
osiris wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 pm I see the bit about Andromeda. The thing with Virus TI. As far as I can see there's no 'ISO' file for it. There's an installer and some sounds, but not like the Vir A, B, & C. I guess if you purchase one, you get a backup in case of failure. But it's not like it's out on the internet for anyone to find. I love this but I always reach for sounds from Spire, Dune & a Reaktor 5 ensemble called Mr. Thick.
what the actual f are you talking about
Probably a user, who never had a Virus TI... and thinks it works the same way as e.g. Arturia Minifreak (software Installer/plugin = equal hardware synth function-wise).

In case Osiris doesn`t know - Virus TI Installer, is just controller vst, like a midi controller tool and sound librarian manager. It just controls all parameters in realtime and gives you seamless integration into your daw.

In general, after reading this topic many times in the last months, surely it sounds for many like a good thing, and I personally also like the motive/project - but ... it`s the same thing, like in the past others did with e.g. gaming console emulators.

Example: If you don`t have a Playstation2, so you install an emulator to run a Playstation 2 game via an ISO file. But... many of these emulators quickly went down because it violated copyrights etc and (!) gives actively other people the tool and possibility to violate even more. (many got sued for that... - creating and distributing an emulator software) - and by that, many many people created ISO files of games, uploaded them - and by that, created a pirated copy and distributed these... it`s a crime. Simple.

Even if e.g. Virus C isn`t sold anymore - all the work on the hardware, code, design etc - was done by Access. So it is intellectual property and copyright in several ways probably. If it`s not sold anymore doesn`t matter.... and sadly some users don`t understand this very critical point. So even if someone has the "Bios"-ISO of Virus C - using it within an emulator, is a technical violation of their copyright - except the company clearly stated in their terms of use/EULA - user`s the right to use bios/code/OS dump etc within an external unauthorized environment - like a third party emulator.
And even if many .. many surely would love to have a Nordlead 2, Virus C etc at their fingertips with maybe some more CPU load as a typical native coded emulation would give them - if the owner/company didn`t sell you as end-user this right of using the Bios/OS etc - it`s a copyright violation, by using technically a pirated copy. Simple. Don`t sounds nice but this is basically the situation.

In a way, the complete project & idea and of course the passion some people put into is great. But without companies giving their ok to it -it`s mhm...
Just imagine you would be Access Music/Kemper and then comes a third-party emulator software maybe mainstream - and users supplying free available download links to the Virus C OS/image - for that emulator - in order to have a virtual emulated copy of the VIrus C in your DAW. But you still maintain the full copyright and (!) maybe had in plan/already in work to release next year VIrus C as native emulation by your own - but the web is loaded with a free available unauthorized copy of it? See the point? Not good... for the company. Tricky... even if this project is cool, but mhmm......

Would be great/lovely if maybe some companies would clearly say "ok, we like the project, bringing old classics back to live" etc - and maybe give their approval OR try to work together with the guys behind the project. I think many would love it if the emulator is somewhere in the future in a state, of it being a solid mainstream software/tool - and some companies offering their older hardware synths for a fair price as (maybe also an optimized version) for this emulator as digital copy/Image etc.

I don't know but thanks for explaining. I think Access is about maximum bang for their buck. They could have released standalone FX & I think people would have bought in droves. Nice reverb, great delay & the best Phaser I've ever heard. But they didn't. So, the TI is tied to the DAW with a software controller. I CAN imagine some future thing like the Roland Cloud, barring the investment for that kind of scalability, where they use this as a inside platform. This would open a whole new market for people who would invest a couple of hundred $$ versus $3000.00 for the hardware. People who do live shows still need the hardware.

osiris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:47 pmSo, the TI is tied to the DAW with a software controller.
No the Ti is not tied to the daw. The virus controller is just an "extra" feature, you can use the virus ti like any other normal synth. You can connect it with midi and audio cables like any other synth in existence.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Well that's what I mean adam. You can have one with the other, but you can't have just the controller.

v1o wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:13 pmI'm sure he would know more because he was at Korg long before Dan Phillips even joined the company.
Incorrect. Dan Phillips was in Korg during original never released OASYS days (1995 or so?), which fueled WaveDrum, Prophecy and Z1 development, then OASYS PCI. So, he was at Korg exactly in the right time and does know averything about matters at that time. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 pm
v1o wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:13 pmI'm sure he would know more because he was at Korg long before Dan Phillips even joined the company.
Incorrect. Dan Phillips was in Korg during original never released OASYS days (1995 or so?), which fueled WaveDrum, Prophecy and Z1 development, then OASYS PCI. So, he was at Korg exactly in the right time and does know averything about matters at that time. :)
Yep, and indeed before that, as he was involved in the Wavestation project (for which John Bowen was also a fundamental team member), which was pre-OASYS... Dan wrote the Wavestation EX manual, for one thing.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 pm
As an aside, I think there is a place for a youtube channel/podcast for synth hardware/software/history/interviews along the lines of what Rick Beato does for guitars, amps, recording gear,
and the great people using them. Don't know if you'd want to do that, or know someone who would, but I think you'd start from a great position, and get a great following quickly.
Cheers

Interesting idea but I don't think I'm the right person for that (nor have the time or inclination). I just basically know how to google, haha. :D

Return to “Instruments”