What's your 'go to' distortion/saturation plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BB Tubes

Audio Assault
Headcrusher

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 am
El°HYM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm
acousticglue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:59 pm The Drop
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
Phils Cascade @192kHz is still pretty amazing.
simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 am PA has announced another couple of plugins, not sure if they are on the street yet. But they have mentioned they were releasing SA2RATE and Maor Applebaum’s The Oven.

Plus Wave’s did a BB Tubes thing, online previews of it so far seem pretty positive.
I agree re: phil's cascade. Too bad it's PA, i won't use it. It's not THAT unique in the end, but it's pretty great and imo one of the best PA plugs. Also one of the coolest approaches to ITB distortion. (Build something with the purpose of modelling it)

re: BB Tubes:
it's whack, and anyone who believe it's in any way special or even decent by today's standards shouldn't call themselves an engineer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1UBfMOmmw&t=10s
Paul Third isnt always on the money and he does take a lot of things out of context. Devoid of what developers wish marketing always tends to overhype products. Most companies are guilty of this, its the result of living in a capitalist society.

What it is really is just a odds & evens distortion plugin that gives you a few convenient features. Sure you can probably replicate it, with a bit of effort, the convenient features with a bit more effort. Most things we do can be replicated, its just the matter of using the right tools and spending the time to figure it out.

Or you can just accept it for what it is, a convenient timesaver like most other things in the modern world and either choose to invest $30 in it or not.

Antares Warm
aliasing plugin owner
:?

No one mentioned NI Crush Pack.

I'm kind of interested in Audio Damage Kombinat Tri but haven't decided.
Bitwig

AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

Just added Fury and deleted 5 others. Down to 10-12 saturation/distortion plugins remaining installed (have at least double that not installed).

krixa wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 am No one mentioned NI Crush Pack.
I actually really like that little suite. It’s interesting and sounds good. I like things that execute well on a simple but useful set of features.
Be careful with Audio Damage. I stopped using Enso because of instability and it took months for their support to respond and it was the usual, “well you didn’t describe the actual use that caused the crash,” but I did. It just randomly happened while using it. A long time ago I had an issue with authorizing Dub Station and again they basically ignored me. (Eventually it was fixed, but it took over a year.)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Audiority Pyros
Ozone Exciter
Toneboosters Reelbus 4
KHS Distortion (in Multipass / Snap Heap)

Those cover all types of drive for me.

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:11 am
I actually really like that little suite. It’s interesting and sounds good. I like things that execute well on a simple but useful set of features.
Be careful with Audio Damage. I stopped using Enso because of instability and it took months for their support to respond and it was the usual, “well you didn’t describe the actual use that caused the crash,” but I did. It just randomly happened while using it. A long time ago I had an issue with authorizing Dub Station and again they basically ignored me. (Eventually it was fixed, but it took over a year.)
On what kind of system did you experience those random crashes?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

martiu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:32 pm Antares Warm
im trying to replace this since years, as i do want to get rid of all things antares...nothing can beat this, it just does some magic on the transients.

martiu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:32 pm Antares Warm
Warm is Basically a reskinning of their ancient 2001 tube plugin . :lol:
Wave arts tube saturator sounds a millions timess better and is freeware , but it's a bit of a cpu hog
https://wavearts.com/products/plugins/t ... or-vintage
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Same here, the Crush (and Mod) Pack is among my favorite tools, just pure quality all around. It can be used in Guitar Rig as well, where you can modulate the hell out of it or combine it with other distortion tools or effects.

Apart from that I love Arturia‘s Coldfire and Dist Tube-Culture. Both are very nice tools, especially Coldfire‘s modulation abilities are top notch.

But I’ll have to try the Wave arts tube saturator recommended by gentleclockdivider, looks interesting.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:15 am
On what kind of system did you experience those random crashes?
Basic i9-10900KF with 32 GB of RAM, Windows 10 and Bitwig (latest). To be fair, I stopped checking to see if it worked and Bitwig has been updated several times since. I hesitate to blame Bitwig as none of my other plugins crash, and I have a large collection. I also use MSuperLooper, so I just switched to it in the project I was working on.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:07 am
Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 am
El°HYM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm
acousticglue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:59 pm The Drop
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
Phils Cascade @192kHz is still pretty amazing.
simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 am PA has announced another couple of plugins, not sure if they are on the street yet. But they have mentioned they were releasing SA2RATE and Maor Applebaum’s The Oven.

Plus Wave’s did a BB Tubes thing, online previews of it so far seem pretty positive.
I agree re: phil's cascade. Too bad it's PA, i won't use it. It's not THAT unique in the end, but it's pretty great and imo one of the best PA plugs. Also one of the coolest approaches to ITB distortion. (Build something with the purpose of modelling it)

re: BB Tubes:
it's whack, and anyone who believe it's in any way special or even decent by today's standards shouldn't call themselves an engineer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1UBfMOmmw&t=10s
Paul Third isnt always on the money and he does take a lot of things out of context. Devoid of what developers wish marketing always tends to overhype products. Most companies are guilty of this, its the result of living in a capitalist society.

What it is really is just a odds & evens distortion plugin that gives you a few convenient features. Sure you can probably replicate it, with a bit of effort, the convenient features with a bit more effort. Most things we do can be replicated, its just the matter of using the right tools and spending the time to figure it out.

Or you can just accept it for what it is, a convenient timesaver like most other things in the modern world and either choose to invest $30 in it or not.
If memory serves, he’s not actually using it correctly. He keeps yelling, “it doesn’t actually do anything! It’s just louder!” Because it is based on how an actual circuit overdrives, you have to up the “sensitivity,” which seems to just be a way to fake extra gain into the input. It does indeed do something, and it’s not just louder.

It’s a classic case of user error meets internet. I have to admit that I was guilty of this when I demoed Korg’s Modwave plugin. The MS20 filter sounded weak as hell to me. None of that scream that one would expect from that filter’s resonance. Someone kindly pointed out that the filter gain setting is a bit unintuitive (you have to set a drop down menu to “two oscillator” even when using one to get extra gain into the filter. Poor wording.) and when I redid my test with that in mind, the plugin behaved as expected and was quite good. When I mentioned the sensitivity thing to Paul on his channel, he blathered at me with some nonsense, basically yelling, “I’m going to die on this hill of ignorance.” It was simple for me to just unsubscribe and never have to see his stupid click bait videos ever again.

Again, BB Tubes is actually guilty of hyperbolic marketing. It is not a “game changer.” What it is, is a good sounding saturation plugin with an interesting take on odd/even control. Sounds excellent on bass, and when they fix the 4X oversampling, I’m sure I’ll use it all the time.
Zerocrossing Media

No mention of Goodhertz's Tupe in this Thread ? (I made a search)
I find Tupe is amazing at thickening the lows and obtaining a thick, mellow and nice saturation without destroying all the dynamics (and I don't even speak about the features). I find it difficult to replicate it with other plugins - but one. -->
Arturia's ColdFire is also amazing, and can even mimick Tupe when using Tube and Tape algos. ColdFire is amazing with the crazy modulation features, but people don't speak sufficiently about the quality of basic saturation with it. Just using one algo or two in serie and it sounds truly great. Amazing plugin...

Return to “Effects”