Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

zvenx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm ....
Man… don’t even sweat it.

It’s people looking to gripe about anything.

It’s suspenseful, crisp, clean and shows it can do highs without out sounding too bright.

Congrats on being apart of another Fabfilter release! :party:
Or it could be that the sounds in that one video demo may appeal to you and not to me?
God forbid, we have different tastes.
I am sure there are sounds in synths that I love that you wouldn't and vice versa.
rsp
Or it’s just a teaser? Not about love or anything else really… just a small sample of sounds and not much to make judgments on?

I think the point of a teaser is to elicit an initial reaction, no?
And that was my initial reaction, that it sounds ordinary based on those sounds.. to me.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:14 pm I think the point of a teaser is to elicit an initial reaction, no?
And that was my initial reaction, that it sounds ordinary based on those sounds.. to me.
rsp
I don’t know what you’re looking for but you’re not gonna get it from me.

You could say the same thing about my response to your post and pretty much anything in life and if we go down that road, eventually we’ll arrive at either we’re supposed to shit on everything or maybe there no point in posting at all.

I am not trying to get anything from you per se.
My issue is we have different opinions on the sounds we have heard so far (assuming you haven't heard sounds of it elsewhere) and you seem pretty dismissive that my opinion was different than yours. When all it is is that we can agree to disagree on what we heard in that teaser video.
rsp
sound sculptist

i think it sounds very good, like Virus Ti, but not as good as Sylenth1

:hihi:

Lbdunequest wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:38 pm i think it sounds very good, like Virus Ti, but not as good as Sylenth1

:hihi:

lol
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm ....
Man… don’t even sweat it.

It’s people looking to gripe about anything.

It’s suspenseful, crisp, clean and shows it can do highs without out sounding too bright.

Congrats on being apart of another Fabfilter release! :party:
Or it could be that the sounds in that one video demo may appeal to you and not to me?
God forbid, we have different tastes.
I am sure there are sounds in synths that I love that you wouldn't and vice versa.
rsp
Totally understand! I know it was sent to a mastering studio for final polish. I could probably have worked a bit more on the mix of that thing but I was too busy making the factory presets.

I've got you covered though. I just got permission to post whatever I want so you'll have my quick 20 min noodling of Twin3 switching through a few presets. Give me a minute to render it for you all. MP3 and 48kHz 24bit Wav too! :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thank you... (you sound excited which is always good :))..

and of course tomorrow I will demo it myself.
Never bought twin2 but I have most of the other fabfilter plugins, two of which (MB and Limiter) I use on a daily basis.

rsp
sound sculptist

Here you can download a quick little preset teaser for Twin 3. This is me literally inserting one instance of Twin 3 on a track and noodling with it live. Sorry for the sloppy playing in some parts and the somewhat broken Aftertouch on my keyboard.

All I did was play the presets "as is.." using modwheel and aftertouch, except for the last 7 minutes of the clip where I'm playing "Cycles" (starting around 13:20 mark), the preset used in the first zero to 27 seconds of the intro video. In this 7 minute clip I show just how capable Twin 3 is, testing various combinations of the Macro controls assigned to it. This is one of the few presets in Twin 3 that uses up all 100 modulation routings (yes, Twin 3 now has 100 modulation routings possible whereas Twin 2 capped out at around 40). The preset was originally made as a beta testing thing, to see if all 100 routings actually work. This is what prompted the intro video music as well.. I just sent a proof of concept demo clip and FF liked it so much they wanted to use it for the intro video.

Anyhow, here is the Preset teaser. Random presets from various categories.

Google Drive MP3 link (29.7Mb)

Google Drive 24bit 48kHz WAV (340mb)
Last edited by bmanic on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zvenx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:34 pm I am not trying to get anything from you per se.
My issue is we have different opinions on the sounds we have heard so far (assuming you haven't heard sounds of it elsewhere) and you seem pretty dismissive that my opinion was different than yours. When all it is is that we can agree to disagree on what we heard in that teaser video.
rsp
Yes, dismissive for an overly explained reason, not much to do with opinions as you think.

And you must be looking for something because you keep explaining yourself like I’ll come around to see things your way, which I don’t and won’t.

Anyway, thanks to bmanic for being a good sport about it all.

zvenx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm Thank you... (you sound excited which is always good :))..
Well of course I'm super biased as I've been working on this for a long time. All the basics have been improved since Twin 2. Much snappier envelopes (finally able to produce very short and nasty clicks, if so desired), improved audio quality over all areas, especially oscillators have more bite and presence now.. and dare I say less aliasing? I don't know exactly what all was improved but to my ear it just behaves a lot better than Twin 2.

I know we worked very hard on getting the envelopes to behave in a normal way (which they did not in twin 2!). Now retriggering and playing on it is tight, just as it should be. It just feels way better to play.

It's not all roses though and FabFilter know my feelings on their latest UI system. I'm not the biggest fan of it but as I've worked so long with these new generation plugins I've gotten used to it. Also, they finally implemented proper scaling into the plugin meaning you can have much larger text and knobs which is fantastic for me as my eye sight isn't what it used to be (and it was shit to begin with!).

It's still "just a basic VA" synth, just like Twin 2. So don't expect any wavetable oscillators or other voodoo. Just a few basic waveforms and subtractive synthesis. But due to the routing possibilities it is quite a hidden monster synth! It's exceptional as a mono synthesizer as you can modulate all the effects and the parameters within the effects! Thus as a mono + arp thing it can do some amazing stuff (like keyboard tracked reverb and reverb parameters!). Naturally it can still do it when playing polyphonically but then the effects modulated parameters will of course re-trigger, which doesn't always sound good.

Anyhow, I do think it's a very worthy successor to Twin 2. Nothing revolutionary but just a solid basic synthesizer that is quite inspiring to play around with.

Thanks bmanic.

And for me your 20 minutes noodle show the synth in a better audio light, to me..
thanks for doing this..

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Does it do FM (exponential and/or linear)?

Lbdunequest wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:38 pm i think it sounds very good, like Virus Ti, but not as good as Sylenth1
But can Twin3 run the Alesis Andromeda ROMs? That's what I want to know! :lol:

[Joke from another thread]

Can anybody tell me, what's the USP of Twin (3) and why I need it?

Return to “Instruments”