Container plugin with oversampling

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see Metaplugin and Superplugin have oversampling options. Just wondering what other similar products exist out there?
Waves studiorack doesn't seem to have the feature... don't think Patchwork does.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Check the Gearspace Patchwork thread for a preview...

https://gearspace.com/board/product-ale ... -more.html

I think DDMF is the only game in town for Over sampling in a container that's reliable.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

Kushview Element is stable and oversamples.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:55 pm Check the Gearspace Patchwork thread for a preview...

I know Bluecat was very apprehensive about doing it, I'm glad they are giving you the option I do it. I agree with Bluecat oversampling in "whole chains" isn't wise, I have few plugins where oversampling is a god send.
For me DSP Thrill me and SPL Iron.
Last edited by MJACau on Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~A.Rand

I think most, well-coded plugins either don't benefit too much from oversampling (but aren't harmed by it - because they run an at an internal rate higher than the DAW) or will benefit from oversampling without any major negative impacts. If your EQ sounds significantly different at higher rates, then it's just not the best coded EQ. Amp sims are a bit hit or miss and usually benefit, but also can sound weird. Buyer beware there.

So, assuming most plugins will benefit or won't be harmed, there's two schools of thought on oversampling the chain vs individual plugins, and I haven't done the tests on my own to know which is "better". One says, if you oversample the entire chain, you're only up/downsampling once. So you're doing less harm than having multiple rounds of oversampling and their filters. This is closest to running at higher sampling rates. The other school of thought is that by up/downsampling each individual plugin, you're limiting the volume of harmonics above nyquist at each step and ensuring that there's less ultra-high frequency content to foldover down into audible ranges at each step. This never even occurred to me until Dan Worrall mentioned it.

Luckily, Reaper allows for both approaches. :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:57 pm Luckily, Reaper allows for both approaches. :)
Yes! And if it would have a container for making presets with all the routings, macro knobs, etc. like Patchwork it would be even more awesome.

Not mentioned so far - Plogue Bidule

I've been testing the preview version of Patchwork, the oversampling works really well when using SPL Iron in Acon's Acoustica where Metaplugin would crash with Iron (but Metaplugin with SPL Iron works very well with Soundop)
Regardless I'm so glad Bluecat added it.
~A.Rand

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:55 pm Check the Gearspace Patchwork thread for a preview...

Thanks for mentioning it. The preview has actually been updated earlier today with even more new stuff :-)

Return to “Effects”