Auto-Tune inventor Dr. Andy Hildebrand wins Grammy and celebrates with limited time promo price

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So many people are in denial about AI. 5 months ago Reddit was laughing at the visual output from the AI generated visual art websites. Now, some artists are using the tech to generate ideas and boost their productivity and some of the output is very compelling. The displacement and disruption will come.
Some will adapt but the truth of the matter is that most creatives are not exceptional. Many work in commercial fields and have obvious skill but they are vulnerable. We are just getting our feet wet. There are already 100 000 songs uploaded to Spotify daily. We are at the state of near endless supply. It won’t be long before stock music libraries are filled with AI generated material. The devaluation will continue. We creatives thought we might be spared and that AI would be first applied to low pay, low satisfaction repetitive work. It doesn’t seem to me to be playing by a rule book.
SeeingInMidi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:47 am Wait until you see what these developers have in store for us in terms of AI :).

It’s a question of degree. When I have to correct for clients I am first looking to preserve the best overall expression, the emotion. I usually get 6 to 10 passes of each song section. When I comp the best phrases or word or even tails, my Cubase lanes look like a checker board. Even with maintaining emotion and expression as a priority and trying to minimize correction It is routine to stretch notes, alter timing, even out vibrato, adjust formants when a note crosses the break in the voice and to adjust the pitch center of specific notes. A weaker singer will need more than that.

Pop is heavily produced and the aesthetic of today is pushing things to extreme levels of pitch perfection. This is not my choice , ironically it is the reality of unrealistic expectation that is driving this.

This obsession with pitch stability has crossed over into indie and folk style production as well. I mostly work with weekend warrior types. They hear their Spotify playlists and they watch gifted vocalists win American Idol and other shows. Their expectations are sometimes at odds with their current skill level.

Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:50 am they watch gifted vocalists win American Idol and other shows. Their expectations are sometimes at odds with their current skill level.
That's when you just have to tell them, "you're a little pitchy, dog."
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

SeeingInMidi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:23 am If you believe auto-tune has ruined pop, you should also believe that compression has ruined pop.
It did for a long while, when it was overused. Or did you miss the loudness wars?

(overuse is the key word here, and I'm mostly referring to the Cher-effect)
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'll try that.

jamcat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:56 am
Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:50 am they watch gifted vocalists win American Idol and other shows. Their expectations are sometimes at odds with their current skill level.
That's when you just have to tell them, "you're a little pitchy, dog."

DCrown wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:46 am It's not about performance skills, soul, originality or virtuosity any more, welcome to 2023!
I would genuinely love to hear some of your vocals - got a link?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:44 pm
DCrown wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:46 am It's not about performance skills, soul, originality or virtuosity any more, welcome to 2023!
I would genuinely love to hear some of your vocals - got a link?
Listen to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield or Al Green if you want to hear vocals with unique character and without autotune or The Beatles or Elvis

Maybe I worded that badly - I didn't mean to ask what vocals you like but rather wanted to hear you sing. You appear to be a really good singer yourself, going by what you wrote here in this thread.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I like Marvin et al too.

I also didn’t give up on new music 40 years ago.

Some good new stuff already in 2023 and we’re only in February!
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

There hasn't really been new music for the past 30 years. Just people drawing old music from memory.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Yes, exactly in 1993 people stopped being creative.

..back in my day

“The day the music died” 😢
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Elvis famously chopped vocals on tape, didnt you know? Every production technique was invented pre-vietnam.

Where did the term butthurt come from?
The term “butthurt” originates from spanking, the act of striking the buttocks of another person, which is often seen as a method of punishing a child. Though some cultures view this as an acceptable form of discipline, it can be interpreted as abusive corporal punishment

https://www.google.com/search?q=butthur ... e&ie=UTF-8
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Return to “Effects”