Modalics - Beat Scholar/New drum sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

experimental.crow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:18 pm latecomer to this thread ...
appologies if this was asked/answered previously ...

does this plug-in do separate outputs for audio and midi , or just audio ?..

seems like some very forward thinking here ; i particularly like the way
you handle time signature ...
Yep! At least the VST2/VST3/AAX versions can do both audio and MIDI.
In AU that isn't supported so we made two separate (included in the installer) plugins - one that sends audio and one that send MIDI.
Musician and audio plugins developer. https://www.modalics.com

innervisions wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:20 pm
experimental.crow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:18 pm latecomer to this thread ...
appologies if this was asked/answered previously ...

does this plug-in do separate outputs for audio and midi , or just audio ?..

seems like some very forward thinking here ; i particularly like the way
you handle time signature ...
Yep! At least the VST2/VST3/AAX versions can do both audio and MIDI.
In AU that isn't supported so we made two separate (included in the installer) plugins - one that sends audio and one that send MIDI.
thank you ...

pekbro wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:11 pm
Louspatte wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:14 pm Thanks for the answer.
Could someone answer me about:
"I am hesitating to buy this plug (Beat Scholar) but Triaz by Wave Alchemy is very attractive.
Any opinions on these 2 products?"
Get which ever you like best, I'm sure that a lot of us in this thread were never looking for a
single do it all drum solution. Personally, I have many solutions, spanning most every plugin
of this type, all the way to Eurorack and $2k-ish hardware units. Beat Scholar is super cool,
that is all that matters to me. The WA stuff is also super cool typically, tho I haven't used Triaz.
In the least, I have always been a big fan of WA's drum samples.
Thanks for your answer..

Louspatte wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:23 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:11 pm
Louspatte wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:14 pm Thanks for the answer.
Could someone answer me about:
"I am hesitating to buy this plug (Beat Scholar) but Triaz by Wave Alchemy is very attractive.
Any opinions on these 2 products?"
Get which ever you like best, I'm sure that a lot of us in this thread were never looking for a
single do it all drum solution. Personally, I have many solutions, spanning most every plugin
of this type, all the way to Eurorack and $2k-ish hardware units. Beat Scholar is super cool,
that is all that matters to me. The WA stuff is also super cool typically, tho I haven't used Triaz.
In the least, I have always been a big fan of WA's drum samples.
Thanks for your answer..
No worries, sry I wasn't too specific. Seriously tho, while no doubt one could get by with a single
plugin, I typically use at least 2 different drum solutions per project. They can be made to compliment each other and that can be super cool. I learned that from a buddy of mine who was a professional drummer for 50 yrs before he died. When he would play live, they typically would have 2 or 3 drummers. Particularly when the head liner himself was a drummer, like Willie Bobo for instance. IMO Beat Scholar works well for this kind of thing.

In this video my late friend is the white guy drummer in the first shot. Anyway, super cool
imo. -Good luck and cheers.

https://youtu.be/nNW0deaAh9Q

Thanks again for your answer.
So sorry for your friend.
All the best

Beat scholar is great, the more I use it, the more I get aware of the fact that all drum plugins have different output routings or assignment of drumsounds to the keys, when you want to use Beat Scholar to trigger another drum plugin.
The strangest routing has XLN Addictive Drums, the hi hats are not even assigned to the usual black keys. Would be better of there was a standard output routing, but ok it's the way it is, you can liad your own samoles into Beat Scholar anyway

There is one old standard from general Midi. Any drum VST should follow it.
In Beat Scholar you can achieve it on the preset level…

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:53 am There is one old standard from general Midi. Any drum VST should follow it.
In Beat Scholar you can achieve it on the preset level…
What has midi standard to do with output routing of a drum plugin and assignment of drum parts to keys? . Some drum plugins don't even offer an option to change output routing. Or did you mean output routing and key assignment should always be the same, standardized, like Midi Standard?
Would be better imo, but it is the way it is.
You can't even use Toontrack midi files for XLN plugins and vice versa

The General Midi standard had assignments for presets and assignments for a drum map. The aim was, that a standard midi file would always trigger the correct kind of sound. You could feed your pattern to any drum preset and rely on the kick line would trigger a kick…
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... yboard.svg

maybe I'm dumb or drunk but I can't see a demo option on the home page?

hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:17 pm maybe I'm dumb or drunk but I can't see a demo option on the home page?
So, if you download Beat Scholar from the products page:
https://www.modalics.com/products

The first time you load the plugin it will give you the option to start the trial.
Musician and audio plugins developer. https://www.modalics.com

innervisions wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:10 pm
hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:17 pm maybe I'm dumb or drunk but I can't see a demo option on the home page?
So, if you download Beat Scholar from the products page:
https://www.modalics.com/products

The first time you load the plugin it will give you the option to start the trial.
ah brill, thanks man :party:

Hey guys - Just writing here to let you know we've released the iPad version of Beat Scholar!
https://www.modalics.com/beatscholar-ipad

Here's some information for you:

- The iPad release comes with Standalone, MIDI component & AUv3 formats and is fully compatible with most major iPad DAW's

- It's fully featured! that means sessions, presets and samples are fully supported between platforms...for example, a preset from your desktop can be used on the iPad version and will retain the custom samples you use and all sound settings.

- Being a fresh release, you might encounter some hiccups, rest assured we're hard at work fixing bugs and implementing your input to ensure the best experience possible.

- It's on a special release sale for only $10, it's priced like this at launch mainly to make it very easy for our existing users to get the iPad version.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Or.

:tu: Already bought it (now have both!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Is it an updated version that has midi out?

Return to “Instruments”