Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

The more i play with it, the more i like this thing. It sounds very, very good. The 4x oversampling is much appreciated 🤘🏻👌🏻

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:32 pm
bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:36 pm The clean filter set to 48db + high reso gives the same horrible clipping as twin 2
What a joke !
There's hard clipping on the output of Twin3. Are you clipping the output perhaps?

Simply lowering the volume shows no clipping here. You can easily test it on a sine wave and set filter to the fundamental and crank up the resonance to full. It's just _very loud_ because as it says on the label, it's clean. There is no built in feedback saturation on that filter model. It's a plain vanilla filter.

So you are clipping the output of the whole synth most likely.

EDIT: For it not to clip on a sine fundamental at 100% resonance, you need to set oscillator down to about -40dB and the main output of the synth to -20dB. That's how loud it gets at 48dB slope and full resonance cranked. :)
It's pure and simple >0db clipping of the output stage .
.. but that was my whole point. Like I said, there IS a clipper at the end of the chain in Twin2 and Twin3. You get that clipping because the signal is suuuuuuper loud. The actual _filter_ is NOT clipping. Just lower the main output volume and you'll see the clipping go away.

The 'Clean' filter is just that, clean. There is _no_ saturation stage in it's feedback loop at all. Thus if you just crank the resonance like crazy, that's exactly what's going to happen. You'd have the same exact "problem" with Pro-Q + clipper after Pro-Q (or any other basic EQ plugin).

All other filters have saturation in them and thus the resonance is "under control" in those. This is not the case for the 'clean' filter model (hence the name).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

It's 2023. Can we ban filterphiles already please?
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Made a pretty neat sound just now, driving a bunch of filters into each other at increasing volume (tied to note-on velocity values). It's a simple 1 osc sine wave feeding the chain.

The width and panning you hear is a bunch of envelopes modulating the filter pan control subtly to cause chaos. There's also key tracking used to slightly offset all the self oscillating filters.

Google Drive link, mp3 (3.9mb)
Last edited by bmanic on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMaestro wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:53 pm It's 2023. Can we ban filterphiles already please?
Bwahahah. Great timing! I looooove filters. They DO matter (see my above post). :hihi:

Nice to see they have tightened up the envelopes; this was Twin 2's weakest point IMHO. Not sure about the new GUI. I still preferred the original Twin over Twin 2 for that, even though it had less flexibility. But this is a thing I come across a lot with soft synths: all the features add complexity and take away from being able to use it just "by feel", for lack of a less ridiculous term. You know, where there are 16 oscillators and 24 filters per voice with FM and sampling and granular and additive and rotational long form infinite alpha division synthesis, but adding a bit of LFO delay requires five minutes of menu-diving, so most people just use the presets. With software, as with hardware, I like being able to have as much directly in front of me as possible so I can just reach out and grab it. Omnisphere is a rare example of a synth that handles this well; putting the most important controls at or near the top level but you can dig down and get really detailed and fiddly if you choose. Too bad it doesn't have snappy envelopes.

As an aside, am I the only one who still regularly uses FF One? I just wish they'd update it with a few more small features, like a subosc and second envelope, even a simple gate for the VCA. FF One is simple and quite limited, but it sounds great and I love the immediacy of it. I don't bother saving my patches, I just dial in what I want whenever I open an instance.

bmanic wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 am Made a pretty neat sound just now, driving a bunch of filters into each other at increasing volume (tied to note-on velocity values). It's a simple 1 osc sine wave feeding the chain.

The width and panning you hear is a bunch of envelopes modulating the filter pan control subtly to cause chaos. There's also key tracking used to slightly offset all the self oscillating filters.

Google Drive link, mp3 (3.9mb)
that's really pretty. wish it had made it into the presets
Bitwig Certified Trainer

anyone else having trouble getting downloads from fab's server?
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Pretty cool feature: Twin 3 has an audio follower input for side chain control like Predator 3. Routing in Cubase is fairly straightforward. Setting parameters in both synths will definitely take me some time to master, but the few side chain presets in Twin 3 sound very good.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Pretty pretty pretty synth, FabFilter style. Love it 😍

MuLab-Reaper of course :D

FYI for comparison to the other FF updated products... (open image in new tab for full res)

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 1.05.48 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by plexuss on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Believe or not, I went for Twin 3 instead of Phase Plant (I know, I know… :hihi: ) I just love the 4 filters thing and the price deal!
It really sounds good and I’m happy to support FF.
Now… where is Dan Worrall?! :phones:

plexuss wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:08 am FYI for comparison to the other FF updated products...

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 1.05.48 AM.jpg
Yin & Yang? :tu:

liquidsound wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:15 am Believe or not, I went for Twin 3 instead of Phase Plant (I know, I know… :hihi: ) I just love the 4 filters thing and the price deal!
What price deal? It's more than I paid for Phase Plant. In fact, $129 would make it the most expensive plugin I own and I'm not seeing or hearing anything that's making it think it's worth more than any other plugin I own. It's nice but I don't see any value in it. FabFilter stuff is all over-priced.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”