Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 am
liquidsound wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:15 am Believe or not, I went for Twin 3 instead of Phase Plant (I know, I know… :hihi: ) I just love the 4 filters thing and the price deal!
What price deal? It's more than I paid for Phase Plant. In fact, $129 would make it the most expensive plugin I own and I'm not seeing or hearing anything that's making it think it's worth more than any other plugin I own. It's nice but I don't see any value in it. FabFilter stuff is all over-priced.
Totally agree with all your comments :) :wink:

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 am
liquidsound wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:15 am Believe or not, I went for Twin 3 instead of Phase Plant (I know, I know… :hihi: ) I just love the 4 filters thing and the price deal!
What price deal? It's more than I paid for Phase Plant. In fact, $129 would make it the most expensive plugin I own and I'm not seeing or hearing anything that's making it think it's worth more than any other plugin I own. It's nice but I don't see any value in it. FabFilter stuff is all over-priced.
Good Morning Bones!
I got it for less than $50.
I own KH Multipass and the rest of the free stuff and between Bitwig, Serum, Diva and Omnisphere I’m well covered.
Twin3 is a sweet spot and I’m having great time with it (it sound really good to my ears) but at 2:00 AM everything sounds great of course :D

Time to rest.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

It really sounds good and I’m happy to support FF.
Now… where is Dan Worrall?! :phones:
This was a big mistake! :D

The cool thing about PP is, that it offers not just the opportunity to get as wild and complex as you want, but also on the other side you can make plain simple patches, so it can be also incredible lean, much more than Twin for example. Only downside is that many things sound great, but some others, let‘s say there are better alternatives.

SamDi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:45 am
It really sounds good and I’m happy to support FF.
Now… where is Dan Worrall?! :phones:
This was a big mistake! :D

The cool thing about PP is, that it offers not just the opportunity to get as wild and complex as you want, but also on the other side you can make plain simple patches, so it can be also incredible lean, much more than Twin for example. Only downside is that many things sound great, but some others, let‘s say there are better alternatives.
I love mistakes!
Especially when I’m right. :hihi:

Among all the synths I own, Serum is the one that made me change my mind about PP.

Like I said, with Bitwig and some great tools, (and Ableton/M4L) my plate is full and delicious.

Twin3 is great fun. Really.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I honestly dont think Twin offers anything better then Serum, PhasePlant, Dune or most of VA-s these days, except the GUI. Sure it has 4 filters, but for example in Dune 3 you have 2 + 4 EQs whom you can use as Filters aswel, so basicly 6 filters. In serum you have 2+1eq as filter, but besides that you have plenty more. And phase plant, oh boy you can have as many of anything as you want.

FF Twin 2 was always one of those ‘pot luck’ kind of synths and I was kinda hoping that Twin 3 would bring a little more to the table. Been demoing since yesterday and am slightly underwhelmed. Even for €49 it’s not a no brainer. It’s nice for bell like sounds though.

bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:15 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm Some presets seem really quiet or not making a sound for me.
Is it the ones in the Sidechain category?

Otherwise it's a bug. I quickly double checked a fresh install of Twin3 and all presets have pretty even volume (except for a very few drum sounds that abuse the compressor and thus can clip a bit). There are a few presets in the Sidechain category that do not make any sounds.

Do you have Twin2 installed? Are you perhaps browsing Twin2 preset folder? Twin3 is not 100% backwards compatible.
No these are Twin 3 patches mainly in the pads section

You're right from an engineer's point of view, but the beauty of Twin 3 is tweakability and the ability to make patches by accident using intuitive noodling.

I can do everything Twin 3 can in Falcon and PP, of course. I copied about 10-15 patches from Twin in PP and Falcon with great success yesterday. The results I got in Falcon sound much more extensive and deep, but it consumed 3x more time to achieve. The situation with PP is different. Even though PP makes it faster than Falcon, it doesn't sound as good in these patches. No matter how hard I try, it ends with a different sound which I like lesser than Twin 3. Each module behaves completely differently which translates into a different sound.

PP has its strengths in complex sound-design tasks. Using crazy modulation system, samplers, multiple types of oscillators, and complex FX chains I can go to Jupiter with it, but I don't need to go so far each time I use synth.

For its part, Falcon sounds better, it has something. I've always had goosebumps from the sounds created in it. But I can't just play it with a turned-off mind. This is where Twin shines for me - I can play it like an instrument.

In general, I think it's essential to have at least two types of tools - intuitive-tactile and deep-engineering ones. Before the advent of Twin, tactile instruments existed mainly in the hardware world.
Lbdunequest wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:54 am I honestly dont think Twin offers anything better then Serum, PhasePlant, Dune or most of VA-s these days, except the GUI. Sure it has 4 filters, but for example in Dune 3 you have 2 + 4 EQs whom you can use as Filters aswel, so basicly 6 filters. In serum you have 2+1eq as filter, but besides that you have plenty more. And phase plant, oh boy you can have as many of anything as you want.
Last edited by Dombaeb on Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm Some presets seem really quiet or not making a sound for me.
I’ve never noticed synths that can be sidechained before. Does that just show me up to be very unobservant or is it quite rare?

Dombaeb wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:59 am You're right from an engineer's point of view, but the beauty of Twin 3 is tweakability and the ability to make patches by accident using intuitive noodling.

I can do everything Twin 3 can in Falcon and PP, of course. I copied about 10-15 patches from Twin in PP and Falcon with great success yesterday. The results I got in Falcon sound much more extensive and deep, but it consumed 3x more time to achieve. The situation with PP is different. Even though PP makes it faster than Falcon, it doesn't sound as good in these patches. No matter how hard I try, it ends with a different sound which I like lesser than Twin 3. Each module behaves completely differently which translates into a different sound.

PP has its strengths in complex sound-design tasks. Using crazy modulation system, samplers, multiple types of oscillators, and complex FX chains I can go to Jupiter with it, but I don't need to go so far each time I use synth.

For its part, Falcon sounds better, it has something. I've always had goosebumps from the sounds created in it. But I can't just play it with a turned-off mind. This is where Twin shines for me - I can play it like an instrument.

In general, I think it's essential to have at least two types of tools - intuitive-tactile and deep-engineering ones. Before the advent of Twin, tactile instruments existed mainly in the hardware world.
Although I think Phase Plant covers everything Twin has, including the simplicity, I exactly understand what you mean. PP shines in many things (similar as Serum), but for some classical stuff, which depends on nice unison and filters it often falls behind Pigments or Hive (which are my other go to synths). Also the effects are very good, but not outstanding IMHO.

Double Tap wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:00 am
I’ve never noticed synths that can be sidechained before. Does that just show me up to be very unobservant or is it quite rare?
fairly rare (unfortunately)

it's a great way to make things more organic / responsive

I don't understand the purpose of the filter offset controls. They just seem to do exactly what the actual filter controls do. Why would I need them when I can just adjust the filter instead? Can someone give an example where I would use them?

For me it's two things that sets a synth apart: Sound character and usability.
If the first few dozen presets in Twin3 will give me the gooze bumpies then I will dive into it and see if there is something that my overcrowded synth folder doesn't offer me. If yes i would have a look at the GUI. Q3 has a good GUI, not best but highly usable. Most things easy and intuitive to use. From the pics I don't like the T3 GUI very much. Too many little icons that I would have to learn. Too much distracting stuph going on that tries to give me visual feedback. To be continued.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 am I don't understand the purpose of the filter offset controls. They just seem to do exactly what the actual filter controls do. Why would I need them when I can just adjust the filter instead? Can someone give an example where I would use them?
Because you can control the two filters at once , from an env, lfo , mod wheel etc ..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Vortifex wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 am I don't understand the purpose of the filter offset controls. They just seem to do exactly what the actual filter controls do. Why would I need them when I can just adjust the filter instead? Can someone give an example where I would use them?
isn't so you can move them all in one go? say you've got a set of bandpasses set up and just want to reduce their bandwidth or centre frequency but keep the spacing between the same without tweaking it. or just putting offset on modwheel while you use other midi control lanes to move individual filters.

Return to “Instruments”