Arturia Minifreak VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

GJK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 am Arturia has a fantastic-looking amount of banks for the microfreak. Does anyone know where I can find some banks (3rd party) for the Minifreak ? I know it's a relatively new synth even hardware-wise but given its popularity, my searches don't seem to be yielding much.
I think I managed to be first out with a soundset for the Minifreak. It's called Oceania and is an ambient soundset inspired by water and underwater exploration documentaries (https://www.plughugger.com/minifreak-oceania.html).

https://youtu.be/JFqdSRY-6ZI
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

"the first will be the last"

UtopianLament wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:39 pm
rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 am To the folks asking about Pigments vs Minifreak, or if I have Pigments should I buy Minifreak.... there is stuff in Minifreak that isn't in Pigments. There is also more of an immediacy that isnt there with Pigments in my opinion in the time I've been playing with this thing. Whether thats worth it to you is a whole different story. But so far I'm having more fun in my initial playing around with MF than I did with Pigments because its just not as complex at the outset.
What's in the MiniFreak V that Pigments lack? I couldn't find anything. Every sound I created with the MinFreak was super easy to make in Pigments. MiniFreak seems like a slimmed down Pigments.
Yeah, that's not a bad way of seeing it.

I haven't tried to replicate the sounds of the Minifreak in Pigments, but sonically they clearly share many fundamental building blocks in terms of sounds. But in the favour of the Minifreak I would say that it is extremely streamlined and creating sounds with it is a quicker process than with Pigments. I'm not saying making sounds with Pigments is hard or quirky - but the process with the Minifreak is simplified and have more versatility hidden behind every knob.

Really cool stuff.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

jbraner wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:53 pm Has anybody had any success creating a preset where the sequencer modulates the different oscillator types?

I tried working with a preset that just uses the phaser for osc 2. I set the sequencer to modulate the osc1 type - but:
1 - I have no idea what type I'm changing to - still I can try different positions of the sequencer "bar".
2 - no matter how I set the sequencer (moving the orange bar up or down) it doesn't do anything interesting, and I have no idea what it's changing the osc type to. It does sound a little different (from the original sound) when I move the orange bar - but doesn't change when I move the bar to different positions (up or down from the default zero point). As amatter of fact, sometimes it makes the change on the 1/16 (seq set to 1/16 note steps) note *before* where it should.

I'm not sure if I've explained it well - but is anyone having success with this?
You mean that the sequencer is only used as a modulation source and not triggering notes? Not sure if that can be done. But one trick I often do is to use velocity as a modulation source and set it everywhere else not to react, and just use velocity for tuning or filter modulation etc.

/C

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:04 am
jbraner wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:53 pm Has anybody had any success creating a preset where the sequencer modulates the different oscillator types?

I tried working with a preset that just uses the phaser for osc 2. I set the sequencer to modulate the osc1 type - but:
1 - I have no idea what type I'm changing to - still I can try different positions of the sequencer "bar".
2 - no matter how I set the sequencer (moving the orange bar up or down) it doesn't do anything interesting, and I have no idea what it's changing the osc type to. It does sound a little different (from the original sound) when I move the orange bar - but doesn't change when I move the bar to different positions (up or down from the default zero point). As amatter of fact, sometimes it makes the change on the 1/16 (seq set to 1/16 note steps) note *before* where it should.

I'm not sure if I've explained it well - but is anyone having success with this?
You mean that the sequencer is only used as a modulation source and not triggering notes? Not sure if that can be done. But one trick I often do is to use velocity as a modulation source and set it everywhere else not to react, and just use velocity for tuning or filter modulation etc.

/C
No, the sequencer needs to trigger notes too - but people have been talking about how you can also cycle through osc types (for one osc anyway) with each note.
I'm trying to work out how this is done...
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

yeah its glitchy in the plug, if instead you attach it to a macro and automate through your daw then works fine, osc 1 engines seem to be in list order, set osc 2 to FM/RM for max effect

polarsky wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 am

yeah its glitchy in the plug, if instead you attach it to a macro and automate through your daw then works fine, osc 1 engines seem to be in list order, set osc 2 to FM/RM for max effect
Ah OK thanks - I'll try that ;)
John Braner

Here are some presets for Minifreak - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PtM_GU ... share_link

I included the bank image. You need to put it into one of the following locations -

PC: C:\ProgramData\Arturia\Shared\images\vc8_images\packs

Mac: Mac HD/Library/Arturia/SHared/images/vc8_images/packs

Thanks a lot! ;)
New presets are always welcome ;)
John Braner

Why did I read a few times that pigments has the same sounds as Minifreak?
Is Minifreak a light version of pigments?
I demoed pigments not too long ago, but I think it was different...

DCrown wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 pm Why did I read a few times that pigments has the same sounds as Minifreak?
I think it's the same issue people are having with other synths from the same developer. People complain that U-he synths sounds the same. Tone2 the same. Arturia the same. I don't think Minifreak and Pigments sounds the same, but you can absolutely get them into the same ball-park if you want.

Just take the variations of the oscillators in Minifreak for example. Take an oscillator from Noise Engineering and turn the dials a little. Just to replicate this with Pigments would require much more than a single Pigments oscillator. But some of the effects sounds the same - maybe that's why some people feel they sound the same.

DCrown wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 pm Why did I read a few times that pigments has the same sounds as Minifreak?
someone earlier, assumed it was a light version of pigments.
they are not at all similar.
obviously some sounds will be able to be produced in both, and many other synths, but lots won't.

not that you need both, or even either,, but owning or not liking pigments, shouldn't put you off trying minifreak.

vurt are you feeling OK? that was a very rational response... ;)

vurt will hit 100,000 posts any day now. When and where will the party be?
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 11.34.11 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:35 pm vurt will hit 100,000 posts any day now. When and where will the party be?

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 11.34.11 AM.png
At my place. I'm accepting Amazon gift certificates on his behalf. :D
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”