XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

does anyone know how to remove the core library without crashing xo? i dont want that core library crap.

the biggest flaws with XO right now are filtering sample folders. No ability to filter and select just sub folders. To get that level of control would have to load each sample folder separately one by one. And that menu is so small. Step probability would also be really nice. More patterns or the ability to upload midi files to make patterns would be awesome. And of course the ability to share presets with sounds would be great.

melodyz wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:11 pm the biggest flaws with XO right now are filtering sample folders. No ability to filter and select just sub folders. To get that level of control would have to load each sample folder separately one by one. And that menu is so small. Step probability would also be really nice. More patterns or the ability to upload midi files to make patterns would be awesome. And of course the ability to share presets with sounds would be great.
I find that the spatial arrangement of sounds doesn't seem to match similar sounds very well. The similarity bar at the bottom is ok, but I click around dots and find totally different sounding hits.

XO is still great!

kolacell wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 am does anyone know how to remove the core library without crashing xo? i dont want that core library crap.
What way are you doing it that makes it crash?

Use the 'Search & Filter' option (the magnifying glass icon) and then unselect 'Core Content' from the folder menu. This is the correct way to do it, and doesn't make it crash for me.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

yeah, you can unselect it, but you do have to have it installed for some reason. When I deleted the core content folder, the map went totally gray and I think I wasn't able to click on anything.

kolacell wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 am does anyone know how to remove the core library without crashing xo? i dont want that core library crap.
Not delete, but there is a setting where you can turn off the core samples so you only use your own. It's in the search (spy glass) - top right.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:00 am
inkwarp wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:18 am The only thing I feel missing in XO is the ability to make more patterns than two : )
However. the more I use it the more it leaves Atlas in the dust. As someone mentioned, " Choice paralysis'... Something I have too often and need to use that time to actually make some music : )

I'm to this day shocked by this, I shouldn't be. XO can't do any other time signature besides 4/4 in it's sequencer. This is the biggest oversight, and really the only reason I'm probably getting Atlas, which can do pretty much any time signature.

It's a devolution of music that no one even registers this when discussing these two drum/percussion plug ins.
noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:19 am All fair points - I too don't want "another" XO type product, but limiting to 4/4 is really odd.
Responding to old posts, I'm watching the XO sale and wondering if the 4/4 time signature limitation is still a problem for the current version.

I'm interested in 6/8, 12/8, etc. Can atlas handle that and not XO?
If you aren't using your DAW, what 3rd party sequencer are you guys using as an alternative front end for XO?

Yes, that would be nice to add in an update to XO imo. The sequencer is tied to 4/4 only.

tenchun wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:44 pm If you aren't using your DAW, what 3rd party sequencer are you guys using as an alternative front end for XO?
I like driving drum synths like XO using Reason Rack and the Beatmap ‘algorithmic drummer’ module, it’s very similar to MI Grids in modular, there are a bunch of related rhythms per drum output and you move across a ‘map’ to different coordinates to get different patterns.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Is there any XO feature or functionality that is intertwined with XOs limited sequencer, that you can't easily duplicate with any external step sequencer? Is there something that the union of sample management and sequencer can do that non-drum variants like sononym or waves cosmos couldn't do when paired with the right sequencer?

tenchun wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:27 am Is there any XO feature or functionality that is intertwined with XOs limited sequencer, that you can't easily duplicate with any external step sequencer? Is there something that the union of sample management and sequencer can do that non-drum variants like sononym or waves cosmos couldn't do when paired with the right sequencer?
Nudging a kit element forward in time is something that may or may not be easy using a DAW. I'm sure it's always possible, but not always as simple as it is in the built-in sequencer.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

As part of a machine learning project, I'd like to be able to categorize tom samples, by frequency, into the following: high rack tom; mid rack tom; low rack tom; high floor tom; and low floor tom. I have lots of one-shot samples that are labeled simply as "tom", with no further designation. I figured that XO would be a good place to start. I have SQLite Studio and am able to open the XO database. Here are the database columns:

path
path_normalized
filename
file_modified_time
file_added_time
file_size
file_hash
sampleRate
nChannels
domain
product
offset
length
lengthMs
centroid
loudness
peak
druminess
lateTransient
coord_x
coord_y
coord_z
coord_w
category
star
unsupported
format

While I see columns for lengthMS and druminess, I don't see a column for frequency. Does anyone know how frequency is represented in the database. Is there a single column that shows the frequency? Or is it calculated as function of several columns? What do the X and Y dimension represent on the display in VST? The search filter for frequency in the VST offers a range from "< 40 Hz" to "> 7 kHz". However, I don't see any numeric column with values in that range. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

tenchun wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:27 am Is there any XO feature or functionality that is intertwined with XOs limited sequencer, that you can't easily duplicate with any external step sequencer? Is there something that the union of sample management and sequencer can do that non-drum variants like sononym or waves cosmos couldn't do when paired with the right sequencer?
The sequencer in XO has some specific features that another sequencer may or may not have, but for the most part those features are independent of the samples browser and sample manipulation features so if you have a sequencer with features you prefer then there's not much reason to use XOs sequencer.

One thing that comes close is the fact that each of the 8 tracks gives you dynamically "suggested" rhythms/sequences based on the rhythms that are saved in presets for each of the 8 tracks. This kind of works because each of the 8 tracks are pre-assigned to be a certain kinds of drum or percussion instrument, so having suggested rhythms from other saved presets is cool in theory. In practice, I don't care for it much and I'd rather have 8 agnostic tracks that don't have presupposed purposes in any way.

I will add, something I really like is the ability to have XO automatically, randomly substitute "similar" samples for your currently selected samples. You can lock any of the 8 samples you want, then cycle through "similar" samples for the rest as your sequence plays so you experiment and refine your kit without having to manually (slowly) select different samples individually. This isn't technically tied to the sequencer, but I don't know how to do this outside of XO. I don't think Sononym does it.

Why anyone makes a sequencer in this century that can't do polyrhythm is a mystery to me. This thing could have been something great, instead it ended up just being a fancy looking sample browser. Such a shame.

Return to “Instruments”