how to quantize live hardware synth arpeggio

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone here know how I can play an arpeggio live on hardware synth and having it quantize to a drum machine or to the Ableton grid? The arpeggio does play at the same bpm to the rest of the project, but I need to be super precise when I hit the keys or it train wrecks with the rest of the sequences.
This is all happening with a Ju06, a tr08 and Ableton. Everything is synced to the daw clock.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

B.
paz por esos mundos

It's called practise (or rehearsal).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I assume you're referring to the JU-06 arp not quantizing to the project beat, correct? If so, you need to engage beat sync, if it has that feature. That's not the same as clock sync, which will lock the tempo, but not the triggering of notes/MIDI data.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:10 am I assume you're referring to the JU-06 arp not quantizing to the project beat, correct? If so, you need to engage beat sync, if it has that feature. That's not the same as clock sync, which will lock the tempo, but not the triggering of notes/MIDI data.
Beat sync? Is this something I engage in the ju06? Not sure I've seen that feature...
paz por esos mundos

I don’t know if that synth has beat sync. You’ll need to check the manual or Google it to see.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Make sure the JU-06 is set to the Default setting of following clock:

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... ock-Source

Make sure Ableton is set to send clock to the JU-06, maybe try the Remote setting, too:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/synch ... -and-midi/

Not the answer you're looking for but ultimately a good thing to do is record the MIDI from your JU-06 into Ableton, drag it to where it's supposed to start and quantize, and then play the arpeggio back into the JU-06 from Ableton (with the JU-06's arpeggiator turned off). You'll get the best timing this way.

BONES wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:37 pm It's called practise (or rehearsal).
The noun is actually 'practice'.
Don t worry. If you practise enough (that is the verb), you will manage to write correctly some day . :D :P

How is that for a smartass reply?
Like them apples?

Completely fair and reasonable, actually. It's like stationary/stationery - I pretty much always get it arse-backwards. If I'm honest, I've given up trying. That said, in US English "practise" covers both, although I do try not to Americanise any more than I have to (hence "s", not "z" [pronounced "zed"]).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”