Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:15 pm ouch, that's rough. fingers crossed another one pops up :tu:

im looking forward to getting back in there, not been in the studio since monday night :o stupid stomach bug messed me right up!!
all good now, even managed to eat an actual meal yesterday :D
I'm slowly getting back into things... First helping my brother with basic mixing concepts via zoom, then jamming with Elektron boxes.

Installing updates on hardware and software... *I seriously did not know there was updates for Mimeophon! I have to do this today.

The first Rackbrute is out for delivery and I don't know if I'll get a chance to use it, vs spending time rearranging things, but maybe by tomorrow I'll finally record some noise.
yeah they mentioned the mimeophon update on the chat the other day, completely slipped my mind tbh :oops:
no idea what it involves, "improvements" was all anyone could say :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:34 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:15 pm ouch, that's rough. fingers crossed another one pops up :tu:

im looking forward to getting back in there, not been in the studio since monday night :o stupid stomach bug messed me right up!!
all good now, even managed to eat an actual meal yesterday :D
I'm slowly getting back into things... First helping my brother with basic mixing concepts via zoom, then jamming with Elektron boxes.

Installing updates on hardware and software... *I seriously did not know there was updates for Mimeophon! I have to do this today.

The first Rackbrute is out for delivery and I don't know if I'll get a chance to use it, vs spending time rearranging things, but maybe by tomorrow I'll finally record some noise.
yeah they mentioned the mimeophon update on the chat the other day, completely slipped my mind tbh :oops:
no idea what it involves, "improvements" was all anyone could say :hihi:
I read on Modwiggler that it reduces noise introduced when color exceeds unity. I rarely ever did that because of the noise, so I'm excited if this is a fix for it.

*I'm going to try and be active on MW because if I need to sell/post in the sales thread there it's changed to 100 posts and I'm only on post 6. Must have been some problems.

elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:22 am Image
Are these 104HP rows? Isn’t the rack brute 88hp wide?

suppose it's better with them not being cheap. five here i think it is, doesn't dissuade scammers.

ive not been active there for years, since long before mike passed away :(
too tempting when everyone is showing off new stuff! bad enough here, with the smaller group :lol:

justin3am wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:43 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:22 am *Image not rooted in reality
Are these 104HP rows? Isn’t the rack brute 88hp wide?
:oops: :o :oops: :o

Damn... Less space.

The first image (from modular grid) I posted was at 88hp, but I somehow thought that was wrong and edited the rack to include 104. :dog:

Okay... so many compromises made, but I think this works.

As vurt mentioned, I still have the x2 48hp pods for overflow, plus I think I'll hold onto at least one of the TipTop μZeus, if not both.

Last edited by elxsound on Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:42 pm
I ordered Utopia. I got it for free… I had some cash back deals from Amazon’s credit card, and I’m not complaining.
I see I'm not the only one who engages in false accounting to fuel their habit. Reward points are for rewards, no? The 258t wasn't free, but it was a bargain! Not going to lie, I'm probably going to buy the quad LPG on release.
EDIT: Ordered the 3 (Utopia, Dystopia & Eudemonia)
I see that I 'm also not the only one susceptible to "f**k it, let's just get the set."

While we're talking about the Chromatic series, what about the phaser? The phaser was the only bit of interest for me in the B.Roland module that I sent back for not getting the job done. I'd like to replace it with something interesting.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:13 pm
I ordered Utopia. I got it for free… I had some cash back deals from Amazon’s credit card, and I’m not complaining.
I see I'm not the only one who engages in false accounting to fuel their habit. Reward points are for rewards, no? The 258t wasn't free, but it was a bargain! Not going to lie, I'm probably going to buy the quad LPG on release.
I see that I 'm also not the only one susceptible to "f**k it, let's just get the set."

While we're talking about the Chromatic series, what about the phaser? The phaser was the only bit of interest for me in the B.Roland module that I sent back for not getting the job done. I'd like to replace it with something interesting.
You are definitely not the only one, but its not like I have a track record of doing better than this... Unlike you last year! :hihi:

These are consolation modules because I really wanted Ataxia, but these will get used.

I haven't checked out the other modules besides the VCO. I love that the VCO has note quantization, but I don't need it.

As soon as I get over the disappointment of have 88hp instead of 104hp :oops: , I'm going to take a look. If anything, these would be nice inside the 4ms pods.

I’ve been there! I have a bunch of modules whose depth determines which case they go in and where and every time I try to rearrange modules, I forget that I have to contend with the depth of those modules. :lol: The 3D puzzle aspect is part of the fun ( but also a source of despair) I suppose.

I haven’t heard many eurorack phasers that I like and I’m a f**king fiend of phasers. Xaoc’s Kamieniac sounds really nice but I always end up going back to the old MF-103.

I've owned most of the Chromatic series and the phaser is my favorite.

dashel wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:47 pm

I've owned most of the Chromatic series and the phaser is my favorite.
This is nice. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I like it.

I don’t know if I’ll buy it, but the temptation is certainly there. I’ve been listening to lots of patches and I can hear things I’d like to occasionally perform.

justin3am wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:50 pm I haven’t heard many eurorack phasers that I like and I’m a f**king fiend of phasers. Xaoc’s Kamieniac sounds really nice but I always end up going back to the old MF-103.
Ok, but, that's a 4/6 stage phasor built on the models from the seventies. Cool, sure, definitely cool looking, but, $300 for a phaser? I'll take their word for it that they've improved it for synths, however, I'm not convinced that I can't do the same. I've played around a bit with this in the digital domain, the accuracy and character of the filters matters a lot IMNSHO. At any rate, I have an old small stone, which appear to be worthless on the used market, that needs some repair. I think that I'll take it out of its case and put it behind a panel with some mods for starters.

One thing that I really don't need in a phaser is the LFO, after all, a phasor is little more than an all pass network with some LFO modulation. The latter can be done quite easily in modular where you have far more modulation source choices.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... asers-work

The B.Roland filter sounded ok, as long as you modulated the network externally. I sent it back because I didn't like or need the flanger and I didn't think that the module was pulling its weight for so much HP.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 am
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:32 am Any thought on Dreadbox’s Utopia?

Seems like a nice multi-tool, mixer, splitter, buffered multi, LFO and a neat “pulseriser”

I only started looking at after thinking of getting Ataxia, but it seems to be discontinued.
Ive mentioned it several times, since its a great budget system, but my NiftyCase is basically holding a set of most of the original Chromatics.
I do think that they're really nice for the money. Much more multipurpose than, say, Doepfer modules, which are similarly cheap, but more narrowly scoped and generally maybe less characterful. Chromatics are generally pretty direct to use as well, though the Ataxia is a little bit more 'modal.' Big fan.
Im surprised they're cancelling stuff in that line. Maybe there's a mark2 Ataxia coming.
But yeah, thumbs up from me on the Utopia.
I messaged Dreadbox about Ataxia, and it’s not cancelled, just out of stock with no ETA for replacements due to the chip shortage.

I’ll still keep watch for a reasonably priced 2nd hand unit.

Can anyone comment on the tone/character of the Dreadbox Eudemonia filter? The more I look at it the more I like the combination of mixer, filter, VCA. It might offer a lot for a small rack. Only really lacking CV on the resonance.

Meant to post here…

Does anyone have experience with the Instruo Divkid Ochd?

I’ll have 4hp in the 2nd case (whenever that comes) and was thinking this might be a decent way to get some more LFOs squeezed in.

The concern is the price. I found one new for $185. I can’t get lower than that after shipping/tax with any used options that I could find.

https://youtu.be/ZtLzzYUtZcw

SHall1000 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:36 pm Can anyone comment on the tone/character of the Dreadbox Eudemonia filter? The more I look at it the more I like the combination of mixer, filter, VCA. It might offer a lot for a small rack. Only really lacking CV on the resonance.
Is there anything you’re trying to compare to? It does have character from what I’ve seen in the videos.

I just got mine yesterday, but I have not tried it and I still have some rearranging to do.

I think they do good job of pushing things here:

https://youtu.be/VP5QWQllGiU

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”