Smooth Operator vs. MSpectral Dynamics

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
In Melda M Spectral Dynamics there is a feature which has similar function of what Smooth Operator has. both have spectral based control & threshold.

In M Spectral Dynamics you can even add more points (Bands) in addition to Attack & Release points.
as for Smooth Operator I'm noticing the bands are designed for fine tuning with width control similar to EQ but in MSpectral Dynamics the bands tend to be freeform.

I'm not sure if both share the same function regardless there sound quality. what do you think?

MSpectarDynamics is more advanced, if you have to pick between these two, that's my suggestion. Anyway my favorite for this duty is DSEQ3

I have and use both. MSD is very complex and more difficult to set up than SO. They also sound different. To me they are in the same type of tool along with Soothe, ACON Defilter etc. I find it useful, if affordable, to have a number of these tools because they all operate and sound different. But if you want my opinion about picking one or the other, I'd say SO because it's easier to use and I can get to where I want to go faster. Granted MSD does more but I only use it when I need to really narrow in on something I cant do with other tools. MSD excells in fixing narrow band niggling resonance issues and not the best tool, IMHO, as a go-to for typical applications.

My go to 'spectral notcher' is soothe2. I think it has the right amount of controls to be operated intuitively without being overly complex.

I can't speak to Melda's offering but I own SO, Soothe 2, TEOTE, and Gullfoss. SO algo is very "smooth" and broad. More of rebalancing / tone control than the surgical notching that Soothe can do. SO can even sound like a very smooth compressor a lot of times. Sort of like a mix between an LA2A and OTT. Anyway, not sure how that compares to Melda, but that's my take on SO.

Edit: Nevermind
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

MSpectralDynamics has EQ as additional feature which is great to sculpt the sound further in case resonance still presence at some how & in case needs more enhancement.
I wish it has the ability to change the order that EQ could be placed after the spectral processing.

Previously I didn’t know much about these kind of processings & it could be used for resonance reduction & De-Essing so I started to use it more these days.

MSpectralDynamics also great for audio restoration
Such as denoise or spectral gating or controlling any kind of dynamics even make the track louder.

You could add or subtract certain noise pass through it using many options beside multi algorithm options for quality behavior.

It’s a full package of dynamics controlling i like it.

I’ve been using Waves’ F6 for this. Not sure if SO or MSD is better, but I get a decent amount of control and the side chaining abilities are great. I mostly use it in individual tracks so that by the time I’m doing a mix/mastering phase, there’s little need of it and then I just use iZotope’s Ozone Elements’s EQ for a bit of final EQ.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:43 pm I’ve been using Waves’ F6 for this. Not sure if SO or MSD is better, but I get a decent amount of control and the side chaining abilities are great. I mostly use it in individual tracks so that by the time I’m doing a mix/mastering phase, there’s little need of it and then I just use iZotope’s Ozone Elements’s EQ for a bit of final EQ.
Dynamic EQ´s do not follow the pitch what spectral dynamic plugin do automatically so it depends what you are aiming for...
If you got resonances on material which heavily changes pitch (like normal chord changes etc...) the Dynamic EQ might reach sometimes into the void...

Trancit wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:35 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:43 pm I’ve been using Waves’ F6 for this. Not sure if SO or MSD is better, but I get a decent amount of control and the side chaining abilities are great. I mostly use it in individual tracks so that by the time I’m doing a mix/mastering phase, there’s little need of it and then I just use iZotope’s Ozone Elements’s EQ for a bit of final EQ.
Dynamic EQ´s do not follow the pitch what spectral dynamic plugin do automatically so it depends what you are aiming for...
If you got resonances on material which heavily changes pitch (like normal chord changes etc...) the Dynamic EQ might reach sometimes into the void...
OIC, I didn’t know they were doing anything that precise. I watched a demo video on Smooth Operator and I don’t think they mentioned that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:59 pm
Trancit wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:35 am
OIC, I didn’t know they were doing anything that precise. I watched a demo video on Smooth Operator and I don’t think they mentioned that.
They are not really following the pitch in general but all spectral dynamic plugins surpress resonances where they occur and go above a certain threshold...

If in the first moment the resonance occurs i.e. on 370hz because of the Pitch it gets surpressed there... if it then occurs at 260hz because the pitch of this instrument has dropped it get surpressed there...

This is how I know them working...

Return to “Effects”