DSP563xx Emulator (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:26 am
0degree wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 am Yup- I have donated a couple of times as well....but if I am honest, not as much as I would have paid for the Virus Emulation if it was being sold through normal channels. The whole project is a strange conceit but they have one of the best sounding VST'S available IMO. I will donate again if/when the Micro-Q comes out.
Same - funny thing is I already have Virus-B on TC Powercore (the only reason why I bought the card in the first place) but obviously prefer their GUI
I also had Virus-B on TC Powercore (unlocked fore all cores!) and I paid a small fortune for that!
Haha, I paid almost nothing for the pci express version but it's because somebody was letting it go since it's not supported for so many years :D

xos wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:02 am
numerouno wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm EDIT: After several weeks, this post attracted some attention to my private messages, where we discussed the possibility of making a DSP563xx emulator
Knowing that all synths below all share the same Motorola 563xx DSP, would be interesting making some kind of megaemu:

TC Electronics PowerCore - 4x Freescale DSP 56367
Waldorf MW2/XT — Motorola 56303
Waldorf Q — Motorola 56303
Clavia Micro Modular — Motorola 56303
Clavia Nord Modular — Motorola 56303
Nord Lead 3 — 6 Motorola 56362
Nord Modular — 4 Motorola 56303
Novation SuperNova — Motorola 56303
Novation Nova — 5 Motorola 56362 (synth engine), and 1 Motorola 56303 (fx unit)
Korg MS2000 — Motorola 56362
Korg Microkorg — Motorola 56362
Access Virus A — Motorola 56303
Access Virus B — Motorola 56311
Access Virus C - Motorola 56362
Access Virus TI - 2x Freescale DSP 56367
Access Virus TI2 - 2x Freescale DSP 56367. Later models used DSP56321

(More info here)
Some progress was made and now we have an emulator that is able to run some demos correctly. Keep in mind that getting different ROMs would be up to you

Link on github: https://github.com/Lyve1981/dsp56300

We've set up a Discord server in case anyone wants to join the discussion/development, so feel free to enter:

Link to the server: https://discord.gg/mveFUNbNCK
Elektron Machinedrum also uses Motorola 56303
This got me excited - but a little digging and it appears that the Machinedrum uses two - I thought the emulation was, so far, only working with those that use one.

I would love to hear otherwise
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Not so sure- the Access Virus TI uses 2x Freescale DSP 56367s and it runs well on the test console and there is a closed beta...I think there is a lot of holding back for some of this stuff as there is some concern Access (or others) may take action if they release anything that is still a current product...it's a fine line.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:16 pm I think there is a lot of holding back for some of this stuff as there is some concern Access (or others) may take action if they release anything that is still a current product...it's a fine line.
I would think that they can and would take action if any current product on the market is released for the emulator. It's one thing to have discontinued products but a product that is still sold by the manufacturer without it being officially licensed seems like it would be outright piracy. Just my 2c.

seangm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:42 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:16 pm I think there is a lot of holding back for some of this stuff as there is some concern Access (or others) may take action if they release anything that is still a current product...it's a fine line.
I would think that they can and would take action if any current product on the market is released for the emulator. It's one thing to have discontinued products but a product that is still sold by the manufacturer without it being officially licensed seems like it would be outright piracy. Just my 2c.
The 'emulator' doesn't do anything on is own. It's the use of the 'ROMS' that are the issue and the emulator project doesn't distribute or even let people know where the ROMS can be obtained. Like I said, its a grey area, but not want I think they want probing too deeply...best to stay away from anything too controversial.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:51 pm
The 'emulator' doesn't do anything on is own. It's the use of the 'ROMS' that are the issue and the emulator project doesn't distribute or even let people know where the ROMS can be obtained. Like I said, its a grey area, but not want I think they want probing too deeply...best to stay away from anything too controversial.
I see the loophole that the ROM and emulator are completely separate and I'm fine with using it for discontinued products but for a current product on the market I think that would prompt some action because it would possibly cut into their sales, but again just my 2c.

seangm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:11 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:51 pm
I see the loophole that the ROM and emulator are completely separate and I'm fine with using it for discontinued products but for a current product on the market I think that would prompt some action because it would possibly cut into their sales, but again just my 2c.
I agree- I think the team behind this project have done everything they can to contact the ROM copywrite holders and see if they want to do this officially (Access, Nord etc) but so far no luck, so its this way or no way!

I don't even need to switch on my hardware anymore, the emulation works pretty well and the CPU consumption is also kept within limits.
I'm not following the project very closely, are there any plans for what's to come? I would find the Nord Lead 1/2 interesting 8)

MicroQ and Nord Lead 3 are in the works. Microwave 2 and Nord Micro Modular (both of which are on their list) would have been better choices, IMO. I'm not seeing anywhere in the Discord to vote for these things.

They were trying to get Waldorf and Access on board. I haven’t yet read they these betas will be released. I might have missed the memo.

For optimization, correct? It seems like MW2 would have less need for optimization than MicroQ.

4damind wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:04 pm I'm not following the project very closely, are there any plans for what's to come? I would find the Nord Lead 1/2 interesting 8)
Also, I think you can get access to the MicroQ beta by donating 20GBP. Don't take my word for it, though, check the Discord.

To each there own! the MicroQ was the number 1 synth I was hoping for would come out of this entire project. To see it happen has made me a happy camper

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:31 am
4damind wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:04 pm I'm not following the project very closely, are there any plans for what's to come? I would find the Nord Lead 1/2 interesting 8)
Also, I think you can get access to the MicroQ beta by donating 20GBP. Don't take my word for it, though, check the Discord.
I can confirm that this works and that MicroQ alpha works very well, the GUI looks pretty good and it’s fully functional :party:

Shiek927 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:36 am To each there own! the MicroQ was the number 1 synth I was hoping for would come out of this entire project. To see it happen has made me a happy camper
I admit I was wrong! I figured I’d donate since I’m using the Virus and the Q has been a very pleasant surprise. Great sound, amazing presets, and an interface that’s almost on par with the Q (ie MUCH BETTER than the MicroQ).

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”