Professionals mostly use Macs? Should I go Windows or Mac?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Professionals tend to use Macs because there was a time when Pro Tools only ran on Mac. Many professionals were professionals back then, so they stick to what they know and what works.

Others got on Mac/Pro Tools for compatibility and simply because that was the “industry standard.” And it still is. Being able to open a project from another studio is crucial.

You can go into any real recording studio anywhere in the world and there will be a Mac running Pro Tools. And for this reason alone, you can go into any real recording studio anywhere in the world and there will be a Mac running Pro Tools.

Even though you haven’t needed a Mac to run Pro Tools for a couple decades, it’s still the norm, because Macs are uniform, and Avid is able to make sure Pro Tools is invariably rock solid on all Macs. And they do. Windows PCs have infinite configurations which can’t all be tested, and they don’t even try. And why would they, since professionals are all running Macs.

So Windows is always hit or miss, and usually some combination of both. Buying a Mac takes all of the guess work and uncertainty out of it, and Apple provides far better customer support to audio professionals than any PC manufacturer can.

Real professionals have a lot riding on them, and they can’t afford to have weird Windows compatibility issues pop up and then have to tell important clients to wait while they try to google the problem.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

vurt wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:01 pm a professional in this situation, doesn't wait for the machine to die before seeking a replacement, they have backups and backups of the backups.
being prepared is part of what makes someone a professional.
Backing up the software/data is in fact much easier than “backing up” the hardware. Every member of the band may carry a copy of (encrypted) hard with the gig materials. Bringing two copies of gig-crucial Mac Pros instead of one – or even two laptops – already becomes inconvenient.

amyodov wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:27 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:01 pm a professional in this situation, doesn't wait for the machine to die before seeking a replacement, they have backups and backups of the backups.
being prepared is part of what makes someone a professional.
Backing up the software/data is in fact much easier than “backing up” the hardware. Every member of the band may carry a copy of (encrypted) hard with the gig materials. Bringing two copies of gig-crucial Mac Pros instead of one – or even two laptops – already becomes inconvenient.
some of the acts i worked with, had 2 trucks and a massive bus.
pretty sure they had room for such things ;)

i only brought it up, because id seen it happen.

computer fails, roady nips out to bus, comes back with second computer, minutes!
even macs arent always available without travelling to another city, here in the uk at least, they can often be on back order.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:48 pm Yes Windows RT (and back in the day Windows CE) were never fully compatible with desktop Windows, but Microsoft didn’t force everyone to adopt them. And couldn’t.
I mentioned Surface tablets several comments ago for a reason. The most recent Surface Pros, like Surface Pro 9, run “a regular Windows 11 Home or Pro”, but may contain either an Intel i5/i7 CPU... or a Snapdragon-based ARM CPU.
Just like in those M1/Rosetta times...

Surface is a tiny percent of the PC market so I’ll play my “don’t see how that is relevant” card

Are you safe?

Is this still going on? Let's have a proper 1st world argument about something important instead of the usual shite about mac vs PC.

So...when you wipe your arse, are you a scruncher or a folder?
Obvs a folder gets more shit off their anus with each wipe, no argument could be possible about that. I admit it can be a bit harder on your piles, as you do more paper-to-skin scraping, but scrunchers just wodge a bunch of it between their crack in the hope some of it will stick. Talking of which, scrunching is way more likely to get shit on your fingers, and I bet you dirty bogans don't even wash your hands afterwards, eh? :smack:

...though I suppose if you're a cheapskate who uses thin 2-ply, folding and wiping is more likely to get your fingers poking through the paper while you're wiping. And weirdly, you can buy 2-ply in every city. :nutter:

amyodov wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm I mentioned Surface tablets several comments ago for a reason. The most recent Surface Pros, like Surface Pro 9, run “a regular Windows 11 Home or Pro”, but may contain either an Intel i5/i7 CPU... or a Snapdragon-based ARM CPU.
Just like in those M1/Rosetta times...
I think that's what you meant but to be clear the Surface 9 with arm hasn't the same windows and compatibility than the x86 one.

Folder not a scruncher. I went into my office for the first time in ages recently and was disgusted to find that all the loos there have now got the paper in these weird little units that look like the world's saddest dugs where you pull the edge of the paper and have to drag it out pre-scrunched.

Are you safe?

pros pay a "groom of the stool", they don't have time for diy.

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:03 pm pros pay a "groom of the stool", they don't have time for diy.
question is do you fold or scrunch the swan’s neck?

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:40 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:03 pm pros pay a "groom of the stool", they don't have time for diy.
question is do you fold or scrunch the swan’s neck?
that's entirely up to the swan.

in gargantua it was a goose's neck. live, for warmth.

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:42 pm in gargantua it was a goose's neck. live, for warmth.
That’s right, I was misremembering something I’d seen on QI

Are you safe?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”