Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NikkiA wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:32 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:34 pm In Waves Central the Waves plugins are Activated and Installed. Does that qualify them as being registered?
Yes, by 'unregistered' codes they mean codes that have not been attached to an account.
That's what I'm assuming, as I have them all 'registered' (with serial numbers), but most not yet installed and 'activated'. I don't do the WUP thing.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

What has the ‚not doing the WUP thing‘ to do with it? The plan expires no matter if you activate them or not. As soon you register, you get one year of updates. If you didn‘t, then go and hurry…

Went to my account and one by one I registered all my Waves plugins.
Took a while. It was not fun.
I got this message:
"This serial number is already registered in your account. If you have not activated it, click here."
Looks like I had already registered all of them.
Mission accomplished. :D

Oh, yes, they were all activated!

Jusr received an email from Bestservice:
Bye Bye Waves!

To our great regret, Waves announced that as of March 26th, perpetual licenses for single plug-ins and plug-in bundles will no longer be available (Live Applications excluded).

We are clearing our license stock!
Is Waves going sub only? :o

0degree wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:05 pm Jusr received an email from Bestservice:
Bye Bye Waves!

To our great regret, Waves announced that as of March 26th, perpetual licenses for single plug-ins and plug-in bundles will no longer be available (Live Applications excluded).

We are clearing our license stock!
Is Waves going sub only? :o
Yeah I just came here to see if anyone was talking about this. I am guessing this is true. Sort of glad I already have most of their stuff in permanent license now.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Had an email from Best Service saying:

"WAVES Flashsale - Lowest Prices Ever - as long as stocks last!

Waves has informed us that as of March 26, perpetual licenses for single plug-ins and plug-in bundles will no longer be available (Live Applications excluded).

For this reason we are offering the lowest prices ever on select, on-stock WAVES Plug-ins and Bundles - while supplies last - until March 25, 2023!
Do not waste time, only very limited stock available!

In addition, all other Waves products are only available from us until March 25.

Please note that all licenses must be registered with Waves no later than March 26.
Of course, all previous and this week registered perpetual licenses remain permanently valid."

This might (emphasis) actually happen now, indeed. And as Waves user myself (hand-selected toolset), I am far from being happy. Neither were we informed of this particular (possible) "future" for Waves.

This is what I got in my mailbox from Best Service earlier.
Best Service Newsletter -- 21-MAR-2023 -- German Version wrote: Bye Bye Waves!

Zu unserem großen Bedauern hat uns Waves informiert, dass ab dem 26. März keine unbefristeten-Lizenzen für Einzel-PlugIns und PlugIn Bundles mehr erhältlich sein werden (Live Applications ausgenommen). Daher räumen wir unser Lizenz-Lager!

<banner>

Bei uns vorrätige Lizenzen können Sie nur noch bis einschließlich Samstag zu den günstigsten Preisen aller Zeiten kaufen - aber nur solange der Vorrat reicht! Darüber hinaus, sind alle weiteren Waves Produkte nur noch bis 25. März bei uns erhältlich.

Hinweis: Bitte beachten Sie, dass alle Lizenzen spätestens am 26. März bei Waves registriert sein müssen. Natürlich behalten alle bisherigen und noch diese Woche registrierten perpetual Lizenzen dauerhaft ihre Gültigkeit.

And here is a translation into English through Deepl
Best Service Newsletter -- 21-MAR-2023 -- English Version through Deepl wrote: Bye Bye Waves!

To our great regret, Waves has informed us that as of 26 March, perpetual licenses for single plug-ins and plug-in bundles will no longer be available (Live Applications excepted). Therefore, we are clearing our license warehouse!

<banner>

You can buy licenses in stock at the lowest prices ever until Saturday - but only while stocks last! Furthermore, all other Waves products are only available until 25 March.

Note: Please note that all licenses must be registered with Waves by 26 March at the latest. Of course, all perpetual licenses registered this week will remain permanently valid.

Please notice the emphasis on:
  • perpetual licenses
  • clearing license warehouse (because single plug-ins and plug-in bundles will no longer be available)

Not only that... there is legit Zero Mention about this otherwise.

This is from Audio Deluxe's last newsletter, and they're their top third party license distributor / WUP deal offerers!
Audio Deluxe Newsletter -- 20-MAR-2023 wrote:Due to an upcoming change in the Waves authorization & registration systems, Sunday, March 26, 2023 will be the last day to register dealer-purchased product serial codes that have not yet been registered.

And this is from Waves themselves...
Waves Newsletter -- 08-ARP-2023 wrote:All Waves serial numbers must
be registered by March 26, 2023

Hi <user>,

Due to an upcoming change in our authorization & registration systems, Sunday, March 26, 2023 will be the last day to register dealer-purchased product serial codes that have not yet been registered.

Please note: Plugins, bundles and upgrades purchased directly from the Waves online store are automatically registered to your account. If you have purchased your products from Waves.com, no extra action is required.

If you have unregistered serial codes for the following products, please make sure to register them by March 26:

• Plugins, bundles, upgrades, and hardware/software combos purchased via Waves dealers but not yet registered.
• Free products given during special promotions.
• Any other case where you may have received a Waves product serial code but haven’t registered it yet.

Waves serial numbers cannot be registered after March 26, 2023.

Register your serials »

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our sales team.

All the best,
The Waves Team

This once more feels like "third parties telling what's up".

As with reFX mentioning weeks prior to Steinberg, that the "Elicenser will be gone".

Or what about third party vendors knowing mere hours in advance that iZotope pulled most of the Exponential Audio branch, and half of iZotope tools will be canned (while iZotope themselves took days to respond to this!)

Or what about AVID basically also stating overnight "Oh hey, no more perpetual licenses, you're automatically being upgraded to subscription".

What about Roland Corp also quietly dropping overnight the "Loyalty Program" (which offered you to keep one plugin per year as "perpetual" license).

And as strong as my stance is towards the WUP -- I really enjoy "Waves Harmony" (so much better than Eventide and Antares, Berzerk and Abbey Road J37. Heck, I even speculated with OVOX since zynaptic Orange Vocoder 4 is still not out yet (I've seen it fully working at Superbooth 2022 -- what's the hold-up?!)

At this point, we can only make educated guesses. We'll definitely know for sure what will happen after 26th March. Probably with Waves V15 in tow.

But for the time being, this is an absolutely "no bueno!!!" type situation.
Last edited by Compyfox on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

The current economic climate with increasing interest rates and greater uncertainty may have just pushed them to subscriptions.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

In 2021 and 2022 Waves ran a 25% off WUP sale in March. In 2023 they have not. I am going to take Best Service as accurately describing the situation and thus believe Waves is doing away with perpetual licenses. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hmmmm
I have a lot of Waves plugins already. If they move to subscription, I won't be going that route. I'm not a fan of subscriptions as they tie me to paying again and again, even if I rarely use the plugins. If I used a plugin on a production years ago, I don't want to keep paying, just so I can open the project. I would miss a few of their plugins but right now there are so many good plugins that are perpetual, that I can live without the Waves stuff. But, time will tell. The email is way too cryptic to understand exactly what's going on. I would not buy anything Waves right now, even at a heavy discount.

It would be a shame if they decide to switch to a subscription path exclusively :(
I really hope the won't drop the perpetual license system

Sounds like they could transforming the WUP into something like UAD's Spark. As a hobbyist I will never pay a subscription for music software.

Going subscription only for v15 would create an incredible amount of anger in a very large user base.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Vortifex wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:46 pm Sounds like they could transforming the WUP into something like UAD's Spark. As a hobbyist I will never pay a subscription for music software.
Same - their WUP is already borderline scam but full sub would the final straw for me. I will not support subscription only software

This is Waves we're talking about, so the possibility remains that we will get one of these "final opportunity to buy a perpetual license" sales every week. :lol:

Return to “Effects”