Omnisphere 1 vs 2 - Patches sound different -Proof? inside Granular, Waveshape, ARP, Soundsources etc. with SOLUTIONS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys, instead of opening for each problem with Omnisphere i now try to collect ALL examples here and also present you my experiences from the last months including wrokarounds/solutions i found myself, i need to send Spectrasonics these new findings, i informed them in the past with some things but sadly they never did some followups, they replied fast as always but i think this is not on their list to fix or find out whats up (i guess). (i will update these points in my main FAQ)

here i show you the original layer from Omnisphere1 and/or the old mp3 which i exported and compare it with Omnisphere 2 including the solutions/workarounds i found so far, it doesnt work always sadly and im still trying to figure out why and if there is a way to correct,

MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you find a MISTAKE made by me, please let me know cause i DONT WANT to spread wrong messages but i dont see any error so far here in these settings (and i didnt set anything different, just loaded the projects in Omnisphere 2)

ARPeggiator Problems

Omnisphere1

The ARP sounds WAY different in Omnisphere2 , it seems changing it to DOWN/UP works but not perfect as you hear more notes played in the 2nd midi note, so it is not perfect but shows the ARP is different played in CHORD Mode in Omnisphere2
I later made a 2nd instance and adjusted the ARP manually for the 2nd note. (not in the video)

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Omnisph ... e=personal

Cutoff Problem

first i thought the Pitch is totally different set and tried around moving the notes and played around with Finetuning etc. and then i changed the CUTOFF knob some Hz... crazy... check this out

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2qyxpg5nif77 ... m.mp4?dl=0

FX Problems

Pro Phaser is sounding different

Example1
you need to manually adjust the SOURCE knob.

Example2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34aga6dlxq8yw ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Granular Synthesis Problems

same here too, check this topic incl some videos i try to make some more videos soon, i couuld correct some/come very near with these workarounds but i got also some presets which dont sound nearly like before anymore so these are broken...

viewtopic.php?t=594445&e=1&view=unread#unread

Soundsources/Patches Problems

I show always the original Omnisphere1 Settings and in the video the exported Omnisphere1 Instance and then Omnisphere2

Example1
This shows how the TIMBRE/Soundsource is totally different played, workaround is to adjust the Start and Timbre slider.

Omnisphere1

and now a demonstration of Omnisphere 2 (i found out that you can come close with the endings at the end)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s6qaw3ramga4 ... s.mp4?dl=0

Example2

Choirsound is Totally different and you need to load a different soundsource, in Omnisphere1 the soundsource is the same as in Omnisphere2 loaded but in Omnisphere 2 you need to change it to another one, strange.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s6qaw3ramga4 ... s.mp4?dl=0

Velocity Problems

here i thought it might be a DAW problem but at the same time, NOT ALL patterns for FL Studio are affected so it should be Omnisphere 2. Corrected with Velocity Changed of the Notes.

Waveshaper

Check this topic, i try to make videos soon but this is the solution so far, there were some patches which were not 100% correct though
viewtopic.php?t=590300
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Interesting angle - but my questions would be:

1. Why would assume/expect that such a MAJOR version difference would play patches identical to its previous version?

2. If this is really eating away at you - why not just use Omni 1 and call it a day?

I am certain I know the reason Spectra is not going to reply back - most likely the fact that technical ability of Omni 2 and it's code base are so far beyond what was done in Onmi 1 - that it is a non-starter.

VP

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:58 pm Interesting angle - but my questions would be:

1. Why would assume/expect that such a MAJOR version difference would play patches identical to its previous version?

2. If this is really eating away at you - why not just use Omni 1 and call it a day?

I am certain I know the reason Spectra is not going to reply back - most likely the fact that technical ability of Omni 2 and it's code base are so far beyond what was done in Onmi 1 - that it is a non-starter.

VP
1. i dunno, but afaik Spectrasonics stated fully backwards compatibility? or didnt they?

2. because you cannot use both versions side by side.

Spectrasonics got back, they also have a great support, but i didnt send them all these details back, just let them know that Waveshaper compatiblity and the Choir Soundsource (i thought the soundsource itself was changed and not that the patch loads the wrong soundsource) is not correct. it seems this is was not known or on a not priority list or any list at all. still i love their products and will use them for sure.

im a bit surprised or even heavily surprised as i guess Omnisphere is used in big budget titles too that this maybe never was posted officially? or that others did notice this? well i would be angry if i would have release preset packs to buy and made many of my own presets and then i hear these are not working anymore. sure new versions are always to be used with care nut check the Waveshaper problem, this is for me a bug i guess and not a new version engine problem. something which could be fixed maybe. again, i guess that most people just move forward, export their stems, or when they earn money with it they continue and not reload old projects like myself lol ;D

anyways, i mostly do this for myself to find out whats wrong and also help others who might have same issues and/or use google.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 pm 1. i dunno, but afaik Spectrasonics stated fully backwards compatibility? or didnt they?
I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of backward compatibility. Usually it means - your old patches "will work" in this new version of XYZ - but I suspect that does not mean "identically".
Caine123 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 pm 2. Because you cannot use both versions side by side.
Hmm - I clearly remember having mine side by side when I upgraded. Maybe that's changed now.
Caine123 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 pm I'm a bit surprised or even heavily surprised as i guess Omnisphere is used in big budget titles too that this maybe never was posted officially? Or that others did notice this? Well i would be angry if i would have release preset packs to buy and made many of my own presets and then i hear these are not working anymore.
I am certain a user here or there may have said - hmm - that's sounds slightly different - but then simply carried on. Most folks - especially big budget studios creating music with Omni 1/2 would not waste any time with that sort of analysis. They would simply find something else that sounds good and roll with it. Omni is infinitely deep and there is little point in wasting time if something does not sound perfect - there is always another sound to explore.

If were a preset pack creator - it would be my responsibility to clearly state which version of Omni my pack was designed for (and work with). Another responsibility would be to never guarantee the patches from an Omni 1 pack would sound identical in Omni 2 (or any other future version). That is not realistic given the differences between the two instruments.

VP

None of the audio file links work.

m-ac wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:34 am None of the audio file links work.
it is video files :)

Return to “Instruments”