Best FM synth of 2022?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

doctoremmet wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:38 pm Other cool FM options, for those in the Ableton / M4L realm: all instruments by Fors.fm. They make nifty little 2OP FM instruments that when combined with their delays, verbs and sequencer options, can really shine. For those interested in this approach, check out Opal.
After getting them one by one, I slowly and organically stopped using other dedicated FM plugins. They are so well done and accessible, with simple controls but lot of sweet spots it’s easy to dial in the sound you want.

Not yet mentioned? Apologies if it has... :) Arturia’s Synclavier uses Cameron Jone’s original DSP from the Synclavier II instrument. It was reengineered and enhanced for the Arturia version. So what? Well it is patch compatible with the $25K-$200K original synth. It utilizes FM synthesis. I spent a good bit of time learning it a few years ago, and was just blown away by the richness of timbres you can get from it. Cameron used to (probably still does?) provide a web site with 100s of original, and updated Synclavier patches. Anyway - I don’t know if it had been mentioned in this thread yet.. but Synclavier.. well worth a look.

DX7? My first major synth purchase, back in the day. I held on to it for decades before passing it on to a local player. The Arturia DX7 V is patch compatible with the original, and as pointed out in this thread - has hundreds of free patches available.. So.. I'm not an arturia fanboy.. but both the DX7 V and Synclavier V are standout FM synths in the Arturia V Collection.

Joe

The Well-Tempered synClavier... :wink:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Hard to believe no one mentioned AIR.
OPX-4
Cutting-edge, inspiring and MUSICAL!
https://www.airmusictech.com/virtual-in ... opx-4.html

Leo1999 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:45 am Hard to believe no one mentioned AIR.
OPX-4
What exactly is "cutting edge" about it?

Wait...I see you're just a trolling shill for AIR, you also just created a thread that serves no purpose but to list a bunch of their products along with a whole lot of exclamation marks.

Take your bs advertising elsewhere, thanks :tu:

mholloway wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:47 am
OPX-4
What exactly is "cutting edge" about it?

Wait...I see you're just a trolling shill for AIR, you also just created a thread that serves no purpose but to list a bunch of their products along with a whole lot of exclamation marks.

Take your bs advertising elsewhere, thanks :tu:
No purpose? It's a new release!!!!!!
A bunch? It's a bundle including four plugins.
Seems like your shrink is on vacation right now? I knew a guy who would see a huge group of people coming closer, but they were usually just about four.
AIR is by far one of the best devs and they have been proving it for many many years!
Just download their demo versions and you will see!

I for sure won't ask you whether I should post my favorite plugin!!!
Everyone is free to like whatever he wants and to share it!
I wrote MUSICAL in big letters!
That's where most devs fail imo!
Btw are you a stalker?
Or are you just concerned about someone could be tempted to like and buy it after demoing it?!

breathe.

or have an apopleptic fit if you want.

I have many FM plugins, but as funny it is, one of the best for brass sounds is Algorithm from Reason Studio. Downside, no import of original DX7 sysex.
artie fichelle sounds natural

jdoo wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:04 pm Not yet mentioned? Apologies if it has... :) Arturia’s Synclavier uses Cameron Jone’s original DSP from the Synclavier II instrument.
Thanks for bringing up the Arturia Synclavier. I never spent any real time working with it, but it really sounds great judging by the presets. Definitely worth exploring deeper.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Artie Fichelle wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:32 am I have many FM plugins, but as funny it is, one of the best for brass sounds is Algorithm from Reason Studio. Downside, no import of original DX7 sysex.
Yeah, algorithm has a very good workflow too, simplifying access to fm synthesis.
And 9 operators with full routing so the power is definitely there.

Never heard of it before. Just released? Explains why people haven’t mentioned it.
OPX-4

If you look at the date of publishing for the product video, it seems that OPX-4 has been out for 8 months at least. Maybe no one cared at KVR?

Leo1999 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:52 am AIR is by far one of the best devs and they have been proving it for many many years!
Nope. Ive been using them since they were PT only. 14-15 years ago? They're okay, decent bread and butter plugins to ship with ProTools, but they sat on their ProTools laurels for far too long; theyve been stagnating for many many years. Everything they've done could have been vastly improved with some effort, but the best they could manage was trivial, eg Loom 2 doubling to polyphony to 8. woot.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

jules99 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:52 am If you look at the date of publishing for the product video, it seems that OPX-4 has been out for 8 months at least. Maybe no one cared at KVR?
I use the same instruments and fx for many months. I spent years just using Plogue PortaFM. I have both F’em and Korg Opsix, but gravitated towards Opsix and haven’t looked at another plugin. Perhaps others are like me? At some point, people use the tools they have and get on with with producing rather than chasing every new synth.

But! Thanks for pointing it out! I’m definitely going to demo and probably buy it at that price!

And on side note, try not to let people here get under your skin. Kvr is a notorious breeding ground for trolls. Meet everyone with good intentions (like you probably did) and if some one “seems” to be aggressive, assume they are having a bad day, don’t speak English that well, etc. if they explicitly insult you, just ignore it. As the old saying, don’t feed the trolls.

And thanks again for bringing this interesting looking FM synth to our attention. There are probably lots of people who lurk and wouldn’t have know about it but for you but don’t want to deal with all the noise and drama.

Return to “Instruments”