Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I have the 2600 filter and am planning on getting a Doepfer Wasp so I guess at least trying to avoid duplication. Don’t think the Eudemonia losses bass at high resonance like the 2600 and probably not as grungy as the Wasp so probably little risk.

SHall1000 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:44 pm Well I have the 2600 filter and am planning on getting a Doepfer Wasp so I guess at least trying to avoid duplication. Don’t think the Eudemonia losses bass at high resonance like the 2600 and probably not as grungy as the Wasp so probably little risk.
You’re safe… these are different flavors. It might take me a couple days but I do have all 3 to compare. I just don’t have Wasp installed either.

People who want a cheap solution to add some FX into their modular.
Behringer space FX is in production @ 49 bucks.

No CV but a cheapo solution to get effects in a modular not connected to the computer.

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/03/behrin ... orack.html
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/behringer-space-fx

Stefken wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm People who want a cheap solution to add some FX into their modular.

No CV but a cheapo solution to get effects in a modular not connected to the computer.

Honestly, I'd wait for the reviews. Without CV control it's not all that useful in the rack. I have a Behringer rack mount mixer for my modular with built in FX, they're definitely just "ok." Watching the video fro the space FX, I'm not all that impressed; they seem similar to the budget FX in my rack mixer. I think that the only advantage of them is that you have, I assume here, FX that take modular voltage in and provide modular voltage out. So, if they're not at the end of the chain for whatever reason, that might be useful.

Latest version of my B.2600 enhancer.

Went with the Eudemonia as a mixer with the benefit of an extra filter and VCA and the Brains for the alternative digital oscillators. Pleased to get the Maths and Batumi in for experimental stuff and still only around the £1000 mark with a bit of shopping around (including a Tip Top frame and power supply).

Still not sure about the Behringer 140 as it takes up a lot of room and could be unnecessary with the Maths and Batumi but I like the accessibility of the ADSR envelopes.

It’s too bad Ataxia is not available otherwise, it’d be a good replacement for the B140.

I’m sure there will be some great suggestions for envelopes.

Everyone here helped me out before too, but I chose the space-saving option.

I have the Dual Mini ADSR from Doepfer https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-140-2v
This isn’t one I’m recommending unless you’re also space saving. It’s a bit tight and the knobs have strong resistance so placement should be next to things that won’t cramp the knobs.

In the rackbrute case, it’s finally going to be more accessible because it’ll have a place next to the SSF Steady State Gate (sliders), then a 1hp blank, next to CVilization (knobs more centered/not on the edge).

I know that I have recommended a lot of the B modules. But, I think that if you are going to go with Maths as well, that's a lot of HP for envelope generation. Really, Maths is super flexible here. If you really want an additional ADSR, I would consider either looking for something that is either narrower, or more functional. It's hard to beat the value of the B modules, but they are every bit as basic as the original.

This is a dual ADSR with the ability to loop to turn it into an LFO. It's the same width but supplies voltage control. There are other choices, but I think that something like this is a better mate to Maths.

SHall1000 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:19 pm Latest version of my B.2600 enhancer.

Went with the Eudemonia as a mixer with the benefit of an extra filter and VCA and the Brains for the alternative digital oscillators. Pleased to get the Maths and Batumi in for experimental stuff and still only around the £1000 mark with a bit of shopping around (including a Tip Top frame and power supply).

Still not sure about the Behringer 140 as it takes up a lot of room and could be unnecessary with the Maths and Batumi but I like the accessibility of the ADSR envelopes.
I think you did your homework pretty nicely. :tu: :band2:

You might have a look at pip slope and O/A/X2 to save some space. Just a quick suggestion that might be interesting to have a look at.

Are you going to buy the whole case in one go? You might start your case with just maths and brains. Giving you extra possibilities for voice and modulation. Then add extra stuff as you explore.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm
Stefken wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm People who want a cheap solution to add some FX into their modular.

Honestly, I'd wait for the reviews. Without CV control it's not all that useful in the rack. I have a Behringer rack mount mixer for my modular with built in FX, they're definitely just "ok." Watching the video fro the space FX, I'm not all that impressed; they seem similar to the budget FX in my rack mixer. I think that the only advantage of them is that you have, I assume here, FX that take modular voltage in and provide modular voltage out. So, if they're not at the end of the chain for whatever reason, that might be useful.
Hmmm... while I too would wait for more examples/reviews, (not overly 'impressed' as is, nor do I foresee a need/desire for it), I'd wager they will sell a ton of these at that price point, if not anywhere under $100, even if only for using/supplementing one of the effects it offers. Definitely a bonus having a menu that actually and clearly tells you what effect you are picking, and dialing in parameters. Unlike button holding combo-pressing to page through several LEDs colour changes, that mean something, if only you could remember, or having to have software ('disting') to do so.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Both the Doepfers have been on my list at some point, but the B140 keeps winning on its low cost. I am still trying to keep this a low cost solution against all the odds.

Pip slope and o/a/x2 are new to me. Will check them out.

Starting with Maths and Brains is a good suggestion as I shan’t be buying all at once. Will perhaps leave additional envelopes till later.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:18 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm

Hmmm... while I too would wait for more examples/reviews, (not overly 'impressed' as is, nor do I foresee a need/desire for it), I'd wager they will sell a ton of these at that price point, if not anywhere under $100, even if only for using/supplementing one of the effects it offers. Definitely a bonus having a menu that actually and clearly tells you what effect you are picking, and dialing in parameters. Unlike button holding combo-pressing to page through several LEDs colour changes, that mean something, if only you could remember, or having to have software ('disting') to do so.
I'm sure that they will, but that doesn't change that they are pretty much just a stereo guitar pedal with a display. I doubt that they will come out at the $49 price point either. I would have much rather seen them port some of what's in the DeepMind into a more powerful, programmable, and CV Controllable FX processor for more money.

SHall1000 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:35 pm Both the Doepfers have been on my list at some point, but the B140 keeps winning on its low cost. I am still trying to keep this a low cost solution against all the odds.

Pip slope and o/a/x2 are new to me. Will check them out.

Starting with Maths and Brains is a good suggestion as I shan’t be buying all at once. Will perhaps leave additional envelopes till later.
you can do a hell of a lot with maths, with a smaller rack, you may find you don't need envelopes anyway. so yes! start small and see what you feel is missing :)

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 am
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:32 am Any thought on Dreadbox’s Utopia?

Seems like a nice multi-tool, mixer, splitter, buffered multi, LFO and a neat “pulseriser”

I only started looking at after thinking of getting Ataxia, but it seems to be discontinued.
Ive mentioned it several times, since its a great budget system, but my NiftyCase is basically holding a set of most of the original Chromatics.
I do think that they're really nice for the money. Much more multipurpose than, say, Doepfer modules, which are similarly cheap, but more narrowly scoped and generally maybe less characterful. Chromatics are generally pretty direct to use as well, though the Ataxia is a little bit more 'modal.' Big fan.
Im surprised they're cancelling stuff in that line. Maybe there's a mark2 Ataxia coming.
But yeah, thumbs up from me on the Utopia.
I don't know if you're able to answer this question, but I'm hoping you could...

That Niftycase shows a max depth of 55mm, and I have the Doepfer SEM which is listed at 55mm.

What do you think the chances are of the SEM filter fitting inside the Niftycase?

I'm looking at used Niftycases as a temporary setup until my 2nd Rackbrute arrives (pending new stock delivery from Arturia to Perfect Circuit).

elxsound wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:29 am I don't know if you're able to answer this question, but I'm hoping you could...

That Niftycase shows a max depth of 55mm, and I have the Doepfer SEM which is listed at 55mm.

What do you think the chances are of the SEM filter fitting inside the Niftycase?

I'm looking at used Niftycases as a temporary setup until my 2nd Rackbrute arrives (pending new stock delivery from Arturia to Perfect Circuit).
Hmmm, bit tight that, innit. Im not sure if that depth listed for the case includes the flying bus, but on mine it was glued to the case, so available depth at some points was less than others. Even separate from that, though, tolerances on the module could mean a given one could be more, or less than exactly 55mm. More would be an issue, obviously.

If its temporary, you could use the risers trick, spacers in between the module and the case; I think Ive seen a couple of photographs in this or another KVR thread.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”