Best FM synth of 2022?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

Agreed, the have a bad rep, but Loom 2 is still a pretty cool synth, low poly and all.
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:04 pm
Leo1999 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:52 am AIR is by far one of the best devs and they have been proving it for many many years!
Nope. Ive been using them since they were PT only. 14-15 years ago? They're okay, decent bread and butter plugins to ship with ProTools, but they sat on their ProTools laurels for far too long; theyve been stagnating for many many years. Everything they've done could have been vastly improved with some effort, but the best they could manage was trivial, eg Loom 2 doubling to polyphony to 8. woot.

FM Synth -> :)
80's FM Synth with shitty DAC -> :love:

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:13 pm Agreed, the have a bad rep, but Loom 2 is still a pretty cool synth, low poly and all.
Oh yeah, I do like it, and its probably the most unique and interesting thing they do.

But it doesnt make AIR 'one of the best devs', 'proving it for many many years.' Because its a great example of where they missed or avoided the opportunity to reach for that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

DNnX wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:26 pm FM Synth -> :)
80's FM Synth with shitty DAC -> :love:
BASED.

I spent years just using Plogue PortaFM. Today, I’ll create a patch in Opsix and if it’s just using sines, I’ll recreate in Plogue OP7, and indeed I much prefer the end result.

Yeah, they do have a bad rep for a reason!
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:27 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:13 pm Agreed, the have a bad rep, but Loom 2 is still a pretty cool synth, low poly and all.
Oh yeah, I do like it, and its probably the most unique and interesting thing they do.

But it doesnt make AIR 'one of the best devs', 'proving it for many many years.' Because its a great example of where they missed or avoided the opportunity to reach for that.

best fm synth is exakt lite
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Halion 7’s new FM is pretty damn good!

simmo75 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:41 pm Halion 7’s new FM is pretty damn good!
If you bring Halion to the fighr, I bring Falcon and Avenger 🤣🤣. But i guess it is kind of cheating.
These 3 are not FM synth but "beasts good at everyrhing"synrhs..

There might be some FM synth that might be really better, but their handling or gui is so akward, that nobody but a masochist will use it.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Jac459 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 pm
If you bring Halion to the fighr, I bring Falcon and Avenger 🤣🤣. But i guess it is kind of cheating.
Steinberg also sells FM Lab as a stand-alone/VST3 package. HALion 7 not needed.
On a number of Macs

Yes! Didn’t know that.
Weasel-Boy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:45 pm

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:55 pm Yes! Didn’t know that.
Weasel-Boy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:45 pm
Nice one...

I think f. 'em sounds amazing but the interface is terrible.

There's is very little visual feedback. No playline in envelopes, no indication that certain parameters are being modulated. For example, if you have a patch where the input from one operator to another is modulated with an LFO, there is absolutely no way to know this, other than looking through the mod matrix and seeing it. How could you spend so much time creating a great sound engine and then give it this half baked interface?

The interface is also very sluggish and unresponsive.

There are no tool tips, very few videos explaining the functions (sure, there's a manual, but i'm one of those people who'd much prefer a vid).

The modulation system is antiquated and a joke. Again, how could you think this is acceptable, 15+ years after Massive showed how it should be done?

Audio Nebula Aurora FM.

dude i forgot that i have Bleass Omega, thanks for posting in this thread
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Return to “Instruments”