How many of you are getting the Osmose?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hallelujah! Hope you will love it as much as we do :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:46 pm My Osmose has shipped! Estimated to arrive on Monday!
Enjoy! I still smile every time I use mine, the only synth I end up doing 'guitar face' when playing :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Unboxed the Osmose today... Unfortunately, my Osmose seems to be f'ed up. About 2 out of 3 presets have some harsh static-y buzz. The other third or so play fine. Put a damper on my first play.

EDIT: I turned the Osmose off and then back on and now it seems fine. What a relief! Now the firmware is updating.

Whoa, that sounded bad! Good it was only a glitch. Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to your thoughts!

My GF said today, that after all this waiting, she had felt somehow "dead" towards the Osmose at first - it had too long been a hope and a dream that all the energy towards it was burned up. She hadn't really believed anymore she would ever actually see and play it.
But now she is using it more and more and it's become a central piece to her music making.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. at least you already knew from this thread about the locking power plug - we also thought at first ours was faulty ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

After a couple hours playing (and 3 years of built up expectations), I'm pleased at how expressive the keys are. Not a disappointment at all!

I spent the day moving my studio, doing lots of cleaning and my fingers were smooth and dry from it so when I wiggle a key side to side my fingers slip a bit more than I wish. I want my fingertips to be a bit tacky!

Looking forward to playing Bazille (and other synths) from the Osmose!

I'm most likely getting an Osmose in the coming months so I was wondering how you guys are feeling about the reliability of the keys? I'm a bit heavy handed with my playing which makes all the videos I see of the massive side to side movement a bit scary. Will they hold up at least 4-6 years or so? Of course it's not been available that long so only time will tell but what are your first impressions of the build quality? How is the engineered solution for the movement vectors looking? It's a bit hard to tell from all the videos.

Speaking of which, has somebody done a tear down video where they explore the innards? Is it user serviceable or too delicate/complex for that?

I know keybeds can be a nightmare to fix by yourself (I'm currently exploring the keybed of my Kurzweil K2500X which has a few keys that don't work correctly).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I got mine a week ago… still in the box.… just like my preferred work flow.

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 pm I'm most likely getting an Osmose in the coming months so I was wondering how you guys are feeling about the reliability of the keys? I'm a bit heavy handed with my playing which makes all the videos I see of the massive side to side movement a bit scary. Will they hold up at least 4-6 years or so? Of course it's not been available that long so only time will tell but what are your first impressions of the build quality? How is the engineered solution for the movement vectors looking? It's a bit hard to tell from all the videos.
I tend to have a light touch... but if I want the initial strike to include some of the 2nd level mod (timbre) it needs to be forceful. My impression so far is the Osmose is well built and well designed. Usually if something is flimsy, I have a feeling of that right from the start. The Osmose feels good in that sense.

Of course, we can only speculate right now. It is so new. But my initial impression is not that it is a disaster waiting to happen...

Yeah, at least going by the videos, it seems really "high end" but I'll have to see it for myself. This is why I'm waiting for a local store to have them in shop so that I can test it, instead of purchasing online.. which is why this will probably take a while. Looks like they are selling as fast as they can make them!

I'm not surprised though, it looks like an absolutely awesome synthesizer+keyboard. I mean, it would be almost completely worth it if it was a controller only but the synthesizer that comes bundled with it looks super cool too!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:54 am
I'm not surprised though, it looks like an absolutely awesome synthesizer+keyboard. I mean, it would be almost completely worth it if it was a controller only but the synthesizer that comes bundled with it looks super cool too!
There's nothing else like it... it feels quite different than the Continuum and is various respects, is easier to play. The penalty being you don't have an independent Y axis and not the usual pitch slides. Even so, I already much prefer the Osmose.

Another one one the list, but since it's a short eternity until these are available, maybe I'll finally pick up a Polybrute to wait it out. Or a theramin.

Do you prefer Osmose to Roli so far?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I got mine two weeks ago. It's not possible to imagine the thing until you have 10 hours or so under your fingers. The clearest picture is Loopop's recent video. But you won't "get it" till you feels it. The "it" is what a huge leap the Osmose presents. The lateral wiggle is basically bait for less obvious but more fundamental revolution. The vertical pressure axis is unprecedented in a classical keyboard. No overstating the practical OMG on this. Like having velocity on a yoyo. Suddenly each key is in effect a knob, instead of a switch with something measuring how hard you hit it. In a STAB chorale you feel a living, breathing 4 voice choir under your fingers. You make any voice standout or standback. IE lifting UP but not off....the voice is effected. The aftertouch action is super deep and soft. The downside is that Pressure must be 100% to reach AT, and the "stop" is pretty subtle. Saving grace is sensitivity is highly adjustable. The poly nature...is a huge deal. The wiggle? It's locked on pitch-bend. WTF? Keys are slippery, which can be great, but not for wiggling. You do get to adjust range and sensitivity, which helps. But if the wiggle gets unlocked, and can be applied to other expression....I may revise my take upward on sideways ;)

Build is great, sound is great. I never saw a keybed oozing quality like this thing. My fanciest is the Virus TI, which I love, but now seems like it was made in the 19th century.

Drawbacks? The biggest is lack of a simple VCA ADSR, which need not preclude the fancy Eagan SGs. A preset can be designed with macros to effect "envelopes", and some are, but it's not the same. You can design a far greater variety of effective envelopes and use them in new ways, but only with the editor open, and caution, since the matrix "depth" means headphones are not safe editing.

There's many little "undones" or "firmware future" stuff, but no showstoppers. Why did it take this long to actually make a synth keyboard? Everything else till now has been a piano/organ keyboard attached to a synth, and holding it back, while also being held back by lack of subtle variety in sound from finger action, like a real piano. Not to mention, you can't accurately record a real piano, because speakers don't do soundboards, sorry. However there are new french "resonators" which do....I have one coming called Pyramide. You can see it on youtube, but you can't tell what it does. People who know rave, so I dove in.

Anyway MPE keyboard + MPE synth....it's like gunpowder in 1453. When Constantinople fell before big canons...the old walls are coming down in electronic music performance. In person, an acoustic sax, violin, piano or conga can still climb into your ears better than vibrating cones no matter to what they are attached. Sadly fewer folks apreciate this. The E-borg triumph. ;)

Lastly, Osmose does not ruin your other boards. Just the opposite. Osmose devolops sensitivity and subtle finger independence. A piano or fatar synth action or whatever, is newly interesting when you have both, in my experience. The only real justification for most gear is inspiration. In that regard, for me, Osmose delivers in spades.

For makers: you don't need wiggle. You need MPE. A fatar TP8s could standout from all other conventional actions with little re-design. Wake up boys and get moving....it's not that hard.

Unseen: Osmose has a very unique "add-on" called CVC:
https://www.hakenaudio.com/voltage-converter (https://www.hakenaudio.com/voltage-converter)
I could not resist that, but haven't set it up yet.

uhoh7 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:31 am The wiggle? It's locked on pitch-bend. WTF?
Shouldn't you be able to define a formula with the "relative" X mode, which would then allow you to use the wiggle any way you want? (Don't have an Osmose yet, but it's supposed to be the same software between that and a Continuum.)

I got mine yesterday. Waited for 10 months or so.
I love the keyboard.
However, I get some clicks and pops (similar when my audio interface has an ASIO buffer under-run). This happens only on some patches. Firmware is up-to-date.
Hope I get an answer soon from their tech support... :help: :neutral:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”