Any way to "smoothly" turn a rotary knob in plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, when trying to turn rotary knobs in every plugin I have ever tried it has a staggered and not smooth movement so when dealing with anything which requires "timing", going from point A to any point B will take a few seconds. If you turn a rotary knob on a Hardware unit you can easily and smoothly go from 0 to 10 or anywhere in between in one quick swoop but you cannot do that with any fx plugin that I have tried.

Lot of the times when moving that knob with your mouse you will have to drag it a few times to get from one point to the other, just wondering if there might be any fix or workaround for this please?

Drag vertically, it should work fine.

Not sure I understand. I drag the pointer in an upwards direction but when the pointer gets at 9 o'clock then I have to reset the mouse position to drag it to 12 then same deal to 3 then 6 o'clock. So to go fully clockwise from o to 6 this will require having to reset the mouse cursor 3 times.

Automate it with a straight line between 2 points.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Hmnn, sorry not sure I understand this either. Please let me explain further. Let's take bbd delay "Time" control knob as an example with this screenshot. Assuming the white pointer would be at the first position/notch, I want to very quickly in one swoop move the white pointer straight to that specific notch at 3 o'clock, how can I do this?

If I were to automate that movement somehow then what would happen when I want to move the pointer directly to any of the other notches?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midi controller?

This is not a plugin thing, this is a mouse DPI thing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... c5d41f606f
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I am using an Akai MPD218 Midi Pad and that is the precise reason why I am looking into this. Sorry I should have mentioned this part. Turning the rotary knobs in the Akai controlling the Time and Feedback functions in any of my fx plugins gives the same exact problem. The midi pad's knob acts just as it does with the mouse in the Plugins GUI.

So I figured if I can find a fix for the root cause which is the pointer's movement in the plugin then this should help or solve the midi function.

mikehende wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:23 pmthe root cause which is the pointer's movement in the plugin
nope.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:22 pm This is not a plugin thing, this is a mouse DPI thing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... c5d41f606f
Seems I had posted at the same as you, thanks, will look into this and report back.

When you need precision, use your DAW automation. You can even "rough it in" using Write mode and the mouse, but go back and clean up the automation and get the precise value you're looking for.

GHOST19 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:27 pm Drag vertically, it should work fine.
Hey Ghost19, I'm so sorry man. I just went experimenting and now understand and saw what you meant, THANK YOU!!

My mistake all this time was placing my mouse cursor on the pointer itself then dragging it upwards so whenever the cursor moves away from the pointer, that's when I have to put the cursor back on the tip of the pointer.

NOW, I simply move the cursor over the GUI or knob in a fast upwards vertical motion as you've stated and the pointer moves smoothly, instantly and accurately to whichever notch I desire!

So now I got past that hurdle, final step is figure out how to get the physical rotary knob on the midi pad to react together and instantly in real time with the pointer in the plugin, any ideas/leads I can follow please guys? Right now the midi pad's knob when turning from left to right is moving the plugin's pointer in a slow erratic or staggered movement.

Just draw the automation in the automation lane

Thanks but sorry I have no idea what you mean here, any link to a tutorial for this?

Akai support gave me some instructions which I will try out tomorrow to "see if the midi messages are being correctly sent":
Here is a link to a free MIDI Monitor for Windows:
http://www.midiox.com/

This video will provide you with a tutorial on how to use this software:
https://youtu.be/VXRHgFfeIIk?t=77

This will help determine if any data is being sent from your controller.
I told the tech since the "pads" on the midi controller are working fine and fast then I don't see the need for the test but....

I think you need to adjust your Settings in Windows. I had to do the opposite because mine was too much.

Return to “Effects”