Are 50', 60's mixing tools good for electronic EDM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

better throw away this tube leveller then

HAL76 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:08 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:00 pm
HAL76 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:40 pm A Motown EQ VST on a Softsynth is just like a plastic pearl on a plastic ring. That won´t change much. Definitely. I´ve just spent >4k € because it just didn´t work before.
KVR the place where Dreams are destroyed. :wink:

What did you buy if I may ask?
you may ;-)

Arturia Microfreak
Waldorf M
Waldorf Pulse 2
Sequential OB-6
Sherman Filterbank classic
Good choices. :tu:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Don't overthink it. They used what they used back in the day because it's what they
had. And, regardless of the limitations, producers and engineers did not all do
everything the same way. In fact, some of the vintage equipment that is now being
emulated in software was INVENTED because someone saw a need that was not being
filled by existing gear. While you can expect certain characteristics from certain plugins
that does not mean that they perfectly emulate the original hardware. For one thing, tolerance
in indivdual analog components was not as tight as it is today. For instance, Hendrix would
go thru a hundered Big Muffs of Fuzz Faces before he found THE one. So there are many variables at play. There are, at this point, MANY VST vintage compressor sims that are supposed to be of the
same hardware unit. They DON'T all sound the same.

Consider yourself extremely lucky to actually have so many choices. As to your original question
only YOU can answer that. "Rules" are made to be broken. If it sounds good to you, it makes absolutely no differnce as to what the plugin's pedigree might be.

If you're into this to just get paid.....you're in the wrong business. Please yourself and maybe
somebody else might be pleased as well.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm
Don't overthink it. They used what they used back in the day because it's what they
had. And, regardless of the limitations, producers and engineers did not all do
everything the same way. In fact, some of the vintage equipment that is now being
emulated in software was INVENTED because someone saw a need that was not being
filled by existing gear. While you can expect certain characteristics from certain plugins
that does not mean that they perfectly emulate the original hardware. For one thing, tolerance
in indivdual analog components was not as tight as it is today. For instance, Hendrix would
go thru a hundered Big Muffs of Fuzz Faces before he found THE one. So there are many variables at play. There are, at this point, MANY VST vintage compressor sims that are supposed to be of the
same hardware unit. They DON'T all sound the same.

Consider yourself extremely lucky to actually have so many choices. As to your original question
only YOU can answer that. "Rules" are made to be broken. If it sounds good to you, it makes absolutely no differnce as to what the plugin's pedigree might be.

If you're into this to just get paid.....you're in the wrong business. Please yourself and maybe
somebody else might be pleased as well.
Interesting, thanks for your info.

El°HYM wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:41 pm
HAL76 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:08 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:00 pm
HAL76 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:40 pm A Motown EQ VST on a Softsynth is just like a plastic pearl on a plastic ring. That won´t change much. Definitely. I´ve just spent >4k € because it just didn´t work before.
KVR the place where Dreams are destroyed. :wink:

What did you buy if I may ask?
you may ;-)

Arturia Microfreak
Waldorf M
Waldorf Pulse 2
Sequential OB-6
Sherman Filterbank classic
Good choices. :tu:
thx!

What I´d add today: never underestimate the Freak whe n it´s about "underground" genres of electronic music. And the Pulse 2 (500 €) has proven as a very essential, uniquely good sounding part of the setup. It even has 8 voices polyphony with one OS PW/APW.

CapnLockheed wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm For instance, Hendrix would
go thru a hundered Big Muffs of Fuzz Faces before he found THE one.
Where was he getting access to hundreds of big muffs in the 1960s? Did they just let him into the warehouse at the local Guitar Center?

I thought he just had custom fuzz pedals built for him to his exact specifications by Roger Mayer, instead.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I don't think you need them. The modern tools are much more precise and clean, even the stock plugins of your DAW. Sure you can use the analog emulations too, but if it's harmonic character you're after, you can use any kind of harmonic saturation plugin or distortion plugin to add that to your sound. People mostly use analog emulations to recreate nostalgia or because they have used those hardware units in the studios, and it feels familiar to them. I've personally never been around hardware that extensively, so I don't like to see hardware style gui/workflow on my screen, I much prefer the digital variants, that were meant to be used on a screen (modern workflow).

Just one thing, in the end, it does not matter what you use, it's the music that people listen to. If you can make sure that the music sounds good, it's irrelevant what gear was used. After all, it's sound that is the end product. If it was a hardware unit you were building, it would matter what the building process was, because it would determine how well-built the unit is, and that it wouldn't fall apart after using it for certain months. With music/sound we don't have to worry about that, because it's not gonna fall apart :)
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

Not sure if mentioned but ye olde 'Pultec low end trick' works well on some electronic music.

The combination of modern tools and emulations works pretty well for most EDM producers. Every producer always has a few emulations that they swear by. Or some hardware.

Think of things like 1176 compression, SSL eq/compression, Neve eq/compression, Pultec (low end), tube saturation/distortion, and so on.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:19 pm The combination of modern tools and emulations works pretty well for most EDM producers. Every producer always has a few emulations that they swear by. Or some hardware.

Think of things like 1176 compression, SSL eq/compression, Neve eq/compression, Pultec (low end), tube saturation/distortion, and so on.
Think of the 909 OHH. The TB-303. M1 Piano.

Things are special even if there are too many!^^

Isnt it kind of funny how using vintage emulations for producing EDM is a Question, while using the original Hardware for Mastering is still out of Question.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”