The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

Does anybody have the current version of the IK Product Manager working with Wine? It seems to install okay but when I launch it the GUI doesn't start. The console error is not particularly enlightening.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

This could be a videocard and or graphics config settings issue. Vulcan and shaders and such odd bits. You might have to sneakernet the IK registry entries and installed content from a windows setup into wine. Other options are trying different versions of wine, getting an nvidia graphics card, and installing the official nvidia driver...and some distros are better with nvidia than others. I found pclinuxos and ubuntu studio to be good with my old nvidia 9400GT pcie card using the official driver. Not sure if the typical nvidia motherboard graphics chips play nice with the official driver.

AVLinux (debian MX Linux spinoff) has a tool to install that nvidia driver, but I haven't tried it yet.

There are some Arch linux users at the linux Reaper forum that might have info about various
wine setups outside normal repositories. I usually use one from here,

https://www.winehq.org/

AVLinux comes with a default wine setup, and has a tool to install the official driver,
which I have not tried yet. Sorry that IK have chosen to eliminate 'simple' installers. :(

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have an Nvidia driver installed. I also have a Wine prefix with dxvk set up. Usually if something needs dxvk it opens but the controls don't visually update as you interact with them. In the case of the IK Manager it doesn't even start. This is with wine-devel on Linux Mint. If I run it in the terminal it eventually terminates the process with this:
Screenshot from 2023-03-21 21-00-33.png
I'm curious if anyone else got it to work and if so how they did it. It sounds like it definitely used to work but I can't find any info about the current version. From my research the above error needs some things installed that only work with a 32 bit wine prefix but I'm pretty sure the IK manager is 64 bit so I don't think they're compatible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Can't read text in that screenshot.

'Mirage' is an unobtrusive photo viewer handy for text screenshots,
with zoom in/out buttons atop the simple gui.
Cheers

I appreciate this thread on Linux and DAW's. Thanks!

What is a good way to measure latency on Linux, ideally gathering numbers that are comparable to what Windows users post?

Here is a link to a latency wiki, might be a good reference, and has lots of details:

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/jack_latency_tests

The pre-configured linux distros are pretty good about having the correct settings as default,
and those settings will work in more general-purpose distros when they are expanded with audio tools.
Cheers

DC66STEPS wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:33 pm I appreciate this thread on Linux and DAW's. Thanks!
It's fun just keeping up with the new things, and a challenge to keep gaining knowledge about the
underlying system. Keeps you young if it doesn't finish you off, first! :wink:

I am pretty curious what audio interfaces everyone else here is using. Everything I have been reading about them suggest a dependency on "class compliance" and a hardware editing workflow. I have not decided on one just yet, but I have been eyeing the RME Babyface Pro FS.

I understand that I can navigate around this problem by buying separate hardware components, but that is prohibitively expensive.

I have several, including a couple that I don't remember the names of. I have one from Focusrite, one from ART that I remember. I also have a battery powered one that I haven't used yet. In addition to those, I have a bunch of older class compliant interfaces. You've essentially got it correct:

"Everything I have been reading about them suggest a dependency on "class compliance" and a hardware editing workflow."

Pretty much anything Class Compliant will work, but you want to make sure that all of the functionality that you are wanting is in hardware buttons and knobs on the device, because most developers don't support Linux for the software DSP and mixing functionality. Aside from that, there are lots of options. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:01 pm I am pretty curious what audio interfaces everyone else here is using. Everything I have been reading about them suggest a dependency on "class compliance" and a hardware editing workflow. I have not decided on one just yet, but I have been eyeing the RME Babyface Pro FS.

I understand that I can navigate around this problem by buying separate hardware components, but that is prohibitively expensive.
mAudio Delta pci cards are great, using the ice_1712 kernel module, and either
envy24control or mudita24 for the mixer/setup tool. Great sound and performance, will need
a pci slot, so an older computer bought cheap could be a great setup.

E-mu 0404 pci and usb cards will also sound great with some extra setup steps documented in search engine results. Happy shopping!

DecentSampler now has drag & drop microtonal support of scala files! Samplist/coder David Hillowitz found an ethnic instrument in a second-hand store, and in the process of sampling it, got lured into the word between the twelve, and with some help from the Surge coding team, added the microtonal support to his Decentsampler! His video tells the story nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTeSv0SKlGc

Member bmanic recommended the free bEAST2 Reaktor ensemble, in the current Reaktor topic in the Instruments forum, and I found it is great fun, a great balance of complexity and usability, great sound, a nice row of effects, and plenty of useful presets. It's part of the Reaktor user library:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... r-library/

Professional quality. :hyper:
reaktor-beast.jpg
It will reqire that native Instruments install manager "Native Access" and the free Reaktor player are working in a wine installation, and once that is achieved, it's good to never change it again, opting
to install un-tested new wine versions in separate linux installations.

For those new to Reaktor, it has a popular modular synth design interface, available from the gui when you press the right buttons

Reaktor modular area.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Any of y'all gaming and doing music on the same machine ???? I'm thinking about doing an Amd 5600x n 6600xt build and skipping Windows 10/11 and try PopOS with steam ? And also try using Yabridge for windows VSTs .. I've used Ubuntu and other distros in the past and have had some luck with audio but NOT windows VSTs on Linux though .

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”