AudioThing Mantis - Vintage BBD Echo Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mantis

Mantis is a plugin that emulates a rare BBD (bucket-brigade device) delay/echo unit of the 70s, faithfully recreating its warm and analog sound.

As the original unit, Mantis features an echo section with four taps and four swell selectors. It also features the rotafaze section, a modulation that can mimic the wow/flutter of a tape echo or turn the unit into a unique chorus-delay.

Mantis is available for MAC, PC, and LINUX (VST, VST3, AU, AAX, CLAP, 64-bit only), and will also be available as AUv3 and Standalone on the App Store in a few days.

Details
  • Intro Price: $/€ 39 (goes $/€ 59 on April 30).
  • Analog Modelled BBD Echo Delay
  • 4 Taps, 4 Swell
  • Vintage and Modern modes
  • Rotafaze Modulation
  • Resizable Window
  • Preset system with randomizer
  • Formats: VST, VST3, AU, AAX, CLAP
  • Minimum Requirements: OS X 10.9, Windows 7, Ubuntu 20.04
Video Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uU9oPb3jaw
Product Page: https://www.audiothing.net/effects/mantis/
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Congratulations. Just demoed. It sounds magnificent🔥

It definitely has a distinctive sound. I don't think it fit that well with what I tried it with at first -- but I'm going to spend a bit more time demoing with other synths and see how it goes. Either way, I'm happy that stuff like this exists, keep up the good work AudioThing :)

charlesalbert wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:58 pm Congratulations. Just demoed. It sounds magnificent🔥
Thank you!
foosnark wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:24 pm It definitely has a distinctive sound. I don't think it fit that well with what I tried it with at first -- but I'm going to spend a bit more time demoing with other synths and see how it goes. Either way, I'm happy that stuff like this exists, keep up the good work AudioThing :)
Thank you! Yes, Mantis has its own character compared to other BBDs. The hardware itself was quite limited, but with the additional controls, it works much easier with different sources.
This is a short test with a drum machine when I got it a few years ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcBKQUBlyxB/

This is one dirty delay! I like the difference between Vintage and Modern. Were there two different Carlsbro Mantis' or is one a reimagining to offer more versatility? Very nice for creating drity delay washes and echo features!

EDIT: RTFM
The Mantis has eight TDA1022 chips, often associated with shorter and more precise delay, these chips are perfect for organic analog slap-back echo. The base delay time is fixed on the hardware, but in the plugin in “vintage” mode, the base delay can be set in the range of 0.512ms up to 51.2ms (as each chip has 512 stages). In a BBD circuit, the frequency response changes depending on the base delay: brighter at faster rates, and darker at slower rates. To avoid these limitations, we also included a “modern” mode, which allows a base delay of up to 1sec (free) that is also syncable to the Host/DAW tempo.

plexuss wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:57 pm This is one dirty delay! I like the difference between Vintage and Modern. Were there two different Carlsbro Mantis' or is one a reimagining to offer more versatility? Very nice for creating drity delay washes and echo features!

EDIT: RTFM
The Mantis has eight TDA1022 chips, often associated with shorter and more precise delay, these chips are perfect for organic analog slap-back echo. The base delay time is fixed on the hardware, but in the plugin in “vintage” mode, the base delay can be set in the range of 0.512ms up to 51.2ms (as each chip has 512 stages). In a BBD circuit, the frequency response changes depending on the base delay: brighter at faster rates, and darker at slower rates. To avoid these limitations, we also included a “modern” mode, which allows a base delay of up to 1sec (free) that is also syncable to the Host/DAW tempo.
Yeah :) So BBDs can have a very limited delay time unless you stack more of them together (and then the sound degrades even further). So we thought to add the "modern" mode, keeping the sound closer to BBDs but with the possibility to have longer delay times (and so syncable to the host).

Mantis is also now available on iOS / iPad: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mantis-bb ... 1673531514

this is fun. I already have so many good itb analog delays but I decided to treat myself anyway. It has some real character, especially with the input cranked and a bit of noise dialed in. The rotafaze is good and lush. Cool to pair this thing with Dials or the Alborosie filter and just see what kind of juicy analog madness I can cook up.

keep up the good work.

audiothing wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:26 pm
Does the Anniversary sale also end April 30?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:29 am
audiothing wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:26 pm
Does the Anniversary sale also end April 30?
Yes, both Intro Price for Mantis and Anniversary sale end on April 30.

Guys

Audiothing deserve more credit
I can belive this BBD delay is so underrated

It's sound fantastic

Gam456 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:32 pm Guys

It's sound fantastic
Thank you :hug:

It's sound fantastic
Underratted? It's highly regarded. :shrug:

so, as far as I can see, the so to say Rotafaze Modulation is totally proper to Mantis and so it is likely the main interest in comparison of the other BBD emulations ?

...and I agree that it deserves a bit more attention

:pray:

plexuss wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:29 am

It's sound fantastic
Underratted? It's highly regarded. :shrug:
In my opinion Mantis is probably one of the best BBD delay on the market
and what we have here only one page.

Krakatau wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:35 am so, as far as I can see, the so to say Rotafaze Modulation is totally proper to Mantis and so it is likely the main interest in comparison of the other BBD emulations ?
Arturia Delay Brigade, U-he Colour Copy are good... but
Mantis have more extra bits, a very lush sound and the unique 4 taps, BDD aliasing, the dark tone is really efficient, noise/hum controle, the vintage mode, HD mode, soft clip.

This for 19€ on sales. Even the regular price is low.

Return to “Effects”