Neural Amp Modeler NAM amp capture/profile player FREE *December 14, 2023 update 0.7.7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 pm Honestly, f**k these people. When you buy TONEX you’re purchasing convenience, accessibility, and a polished product, which is well worth the price.
That's just rude.

NAM is pretty much one guy with some input from an enthusiastic community. They don't have the development resources IK does. Not even close.

There's a few ways this could go, but projects like this generally either 1) improve and become more polished over time, but slowly, or 2) eventually fizzle out. Right now, I think it's been #1.

There's no reason you need to look at NAM if you're happy with TONEX. Hint: I mostly ignore it entirely for the same reasons you're frustrated by it but I appreciate what they're trying to do. It's already much, much better than it was just a few weeks ago. But yeah, TONEX for me too. Doesn't mean I need to crap on the effort though. I'm glad these folks are doing this.

Well I stand by what I said. It seems to be an insular community that wants to restrict access to normal people. I don’t have time for that.

It’s the guitarist’s version of Linux geeks.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Also...
jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 pm Why do you have to download from GitHub and compile it, exactly?
...you don't. The binaries are available under Releases.

I have the plugin on my machine and I never compiled anything in my life.

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 pm Why do you have to download from GitHub and compile it, exactly?
You dont have to compile it - you can just download a Windows or Mac installer from here:

https://github.com/sdatkinson/NeuralAmp ... n/releases

Ok, that’s good to know. It’s difficult to get much information on using NAM, outside of a restricted Facebook group.

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 pm I have to say, NAM is a total and complete shitshow. Everything about the plugin, the profile repository, and the community itself is a barrier to entry. Why do you have to download from GitHub and compile it, exactly? This is what happens when programmers run things without any input from normal people.

Honestly, f**k these people. When you buy TONEX you’re purchasing convenience, accessibility, and a polished product, which is well worth the price.
You don't have to compile it, just need to slow down and read the text on github :)

I just wanted to chime in that wow what an amazing piece of tech. It sounds insanely good!

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:21 pm I have to say, NAM is a total and complete shitshow. Everything about the plugin, the profile repository, and the community itself is a barrier to entry. Why do you have to download from GitHub and compile it, exactly? This is what happens when programmers run things without any input from normal people.

Honestly, f**k these people. When you buy TONEX you’re purchasing convenience, accessibility, and a polished product, which is well worth the price.
I think you are behaving badly and you also state false information. You do not have to compile anything. You also do not have to call unpayed developers things because, what I assume, you do not like how they work. If ToneX works for you then I am glad it does.

Specifically, I don’t like that access to the NAM community is walled off behind a restricted Facebook group that you have to join to get any useable information.

I was reacting to this
sguyader wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 am Unfortunately my subscription to the FB group was automatically refused. No idea why. :?
I don’t use Facebook so I can’t join any private, exclusive FB clubs.

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:30 pm Ok, that’s good to know. It’s difficult to get much information on using NAM, outside of a restricted Facebook group.
What's restricted about the FaceBook group? You can easily make up a fake profile and join to communicate to the developer about things. He's very good at responding.

Sounds to me like you've found your solution, so I'm not even sure why you'd bother to even post in this thread. There's always going to be a degree of slip-shoddiness going on with a free plugin. It reminds me of a saying from my friend, "Linux is only free if you don't value your time." So if you have spare time and no cash, or don't want to spend the cash, here's a solution. If you want something that's got actual support and professionally made captures in a library, that costs money. There's no conflict between those things, but I'm not sure why you'd expect freeware to respond like a commercial developed product.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

OK, I went back to Neural Amp Modeler for a second look. Someone on FaceBook (in the exclusive group! :lol:) mentioned that he'd solved the boomy-soup issue by backing off the gain before it hit the plugin (not using the plugin's gain control). So, I downloaded some of the captures that I'd previously deleted for sounding like poop.

They no longer sounded like poop. :lol: Not all were my cup of tea, but at least now it was more about my personal taste, and not some issue with a poor capture or problem with the plugin. Some of the high gain stuff had a bit of aliasing if you played very high notes, but I'd say it was nominal.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify things. If you load up the plugin and find that the captures sound totally off, back your gain down -7 dB and it perks right up. Also, don't use the IR slot. I've found it to basically be worthless. Just use NadIR instead, which is much better and flexible.

That's all.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:52 pm OK, I went back to Neural Amp Modeler for a second look. Someone on FaceBook (in the exclusive group! :lol:) mentioned that he'd solved the boomy-soup issue by backing off the gain before it hit the plugin (not using the plugin's gain control). So, I downloaded some of the captures that I'd previously deleted for sounding like poop.

They no longer sounded like poop. :lol: Not all were my cup of tea, but at least now it was more about my personal taste, and not some issue with a poor capture or problem with the plugin. Some of the high gain stuff had a bit of aliasing if you played very high notes, but I'd say it was nominal.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify things. If you load up the plugin and find that the captures sound totally off, back your gain down -7 dB and it perks right up. Also, don't use the IR slot. I've found it to basically be worthless. Just use NadIR instead, which is much better and flexible.

That's all.
Glad I could be of help :wink:

sguyader wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 am Unfortunately my subscription to the FB group was automatically refused. No idea why. :?
They will ask you a few question to make sure your not a bot, I am not sure what the questions are, but they are only there to prevent spam bots from invading the group...not to restrict anyone that truly wants to join. There is also one or two moderators approving all the real people, so maybe it was an accident. Dom McSweeney is one of the mods, see if you can get a hold of him, if by chance there was an error. Unless you want to see a guitar plugin group taken over by "SALE, 90% Off Sunglasses" :lol: which we didn't have to worry about 3 months ago when there were still just under a 100 members (3.5k currently).

Join the Discord group too, I don't know if all the profiles are being shared there by users yet, but it is more organized as far as finding specific topics/issues etc.

People are still using Facebook heavily to share their profiles, even though there are now 3 repository sites. There is no control in how/where people want to share their captures, and they are free to share them wherever and control where they go. It still seems the majority of the users feel Facebook is the current best working platform (there is an ongoing poll), so that is where people are posting captures, features request/ideas, questions/bugs, offering their help/input/resources/graphical skills.

:lol: That's a lot of bitching about a piece of completely FREE software that will remain free, that is still in beta mind you, done by a very smart guy, as a hobby, in his spare time, who is not a web programmer either. It is a pity we wanted to tell everyone about early. It's been open source from the start, and he listened to each and everyone of us who cared to take notice and join the group last year. You can see when this KVR thread was originally started, the NAM plugin itself was not even released to anyone in the group yet, just a few vst3 ports of Steve's amps profiles...you could have joined early on and gave your input and great wisdom to help, and it's still not too late. We have had a lot of generous people stepping up to help keep this ball rolling into something bigger the last few weeks. But you always have to wonder why someone will hate on a free plugin or certain other plugins so hard, but then praise a certain company's plugins.

I look forward to more of your insightful comments :tu: ...I see the KVR spirit is still alive and well

It was most likely not answering the question / agreeing to the rules - if you do it again and do that it'll be approved
metalifuxx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:50 am They will ask you a few question to make sure your not a bot, I am not sure what the questions are, but they are only there to prevent spam bots from invading the group...not to restrict anyone that truly wants to join. There is also one or two moderators approving all the real people, so maybe it was an accident. Dom McSweeney is one of the mods, see if you can get a hold of him, if by chance there was an error.
This - I'm the other mod, and the only reason for the question/rule thing is to help avoid spam and shitposters. Sometimes we make a mistake, and FB will autodecline users who don't answer. Definitely don't want to gatekeep anyone from getting involved.

metalifuxx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:14 am But you always have to wonder why someone will hate on a free plugin or certain other plugins so hard, but then praise a certain company's plugins.
I just get frustrated dealing with this stuff. I tried to get on NAM several months ago, but the price for entry was just way too high, commitment-wise, and I don't have the time to spend on geeking out on someone else's project. I already have to deal with GitHub and makefiles myself, so that's the last thing I want to do in my music-making free time. That's the kind of thing that's going to make me stabby.

So it's good to hear you no longer need to compile stuff yourself. But it's still way too inaccessible to the average person. Maybe with over 2000 members in the NAM community, someone could muster putting together a proper website with some html and some download links like every other freeware has, and perhaps some instructions that don't come in a .md file.

And I still haven't even been able to figure out where to download a profile. I went to that repository link when you posted it, but all I saw was a page of profiles from a single user with "test" in the name. This whole NAM business seems extremely disorganized to me. I want to be able to get into it, but none of you are making it easy.

But it's funny that you think I have only praise for TONEX. You've clearly never read my posts on any IK thread. Over there, I hate on TONEX and praise NAM. But at least I was actually able to download and install TONEX and some Tone Models.

Return to “Effects”