Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

simmo75 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:07 am It was a joke ladies, jeez. Top tier to me is hardware, none of this digital stuff comes close, in my opinion.
U-he are great, this also sounds great, as do the 2 UAD poly’s & Synapse Audio. All sound good.
Not actual analogue or even hardware FM digital good, but good ;)
Gets close to what? The specific hardware you have? Maybe there’s not a top tier emulation yet. To the analog distortion? Yeah, few softsynths come close past modest amounts. Resonance? Yeah, many but not all softsynths struggle with that - and none can get all the way there yet.

Outside of those things… I’ve found top softsynths to be just as good as hardware. Just different. Like having different hardware is different.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:54 am
simmo75 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:07 am It was a joke ladies, jeez. Top tier to me is hardware, none of this digital stuff comes close, in my opinion.
U-he are great, this also sounds great, as do the 2 UAD poly’s & Synapse Audio. All sound good.
Gets close to what? The specific hardware you have? Maybe there’s not a top tier emulation yet. To the analog distortion? Yeah, few softsynths come close past modest amounts. Resonance? Yeah, many but not all softsynths struggle with that - and none can get all the way there yet.

Outside of those things… I’ve found top softsynths to be just as good as hardware. Just different. Like having different hardware is different.
It's an irrelevant comparison in the context of this whole forum which is focused on software.

Ok princess, obviously I got the wrong end of the stick with this discussion. Dry your eyes, hug someone.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:45 am

Ok princess, obviously I got the wrong end of the stick with this discussion. Dry your eyes, hug someone.
Har har har

simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:45 am

:hug:
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Oh please. Opinions are like assholes man. Generally it seems that the "hardware will always be better" camp does this to justify the ridiculous amounts of money they are spending.

I just spent $3600 on a new Prophet-5. It sounds wonderful and I don't regret for a second buying it. But I'm not going to pretend that it sounds worlds better than any of the good analog emulations I also own, which were a fraction of the cost, and with a nice hardware front end would be just as good. SH-2 plug-in/out from Roland sounds just as good as the analog hardware does, I have both. Getting rid of the vintage hardware because the System-8 provides the playability part AND the software gives me more features than the original. Not to mention no upkeep like for the hardware. Pro-One also being sold because Repro-1 is dead on and doesn't have any maintenance costs like the Pro-One did.

System-8 is technically hardware. Cobalt-8 also sounds fantastic and is hardware. But of course they're both really just software. Korg opsix and Wavestate...software with a hardware shell. Same deal.

rezoneight wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm ...Generally it seems that the "hardware will always be better" camp does this to justify the ridiculous amounts of money they are spending...
I think it is even larger than that. It is like lots of people who have made (or not made) a purchase are trying to convince the others (and surely themselves) that there choice was the right one and that it was purely rational.
It seems KVR as a fair share of insecure people who need comfort from others to reinsure their decisions...
Of course, there is a fine line being sharing a crush, like saying "I am a fan of this or that" which is absolutely fine and being a small insecure person and say "whoever has done this choice that is different that mine is crazy and wrong" (to translate to: please please comfort me in my choices, I feel so insecure about it, what if I am wrong ???).

I'm legitimately curious, regarding the hardware/analog "sounds better" - I think I see the most compelling stance is that the low end is different (although I've seen other statements as well). Does any of that stuff survive EQ'ing when put into a mix within a track/song? Or it that it sounds better by itself (and that's fine, because sometimes we do just jam out, right)?

I had a discussion with a friend regarding amp modeling and he had sent me some recordings of his mic'ed (real) amp, and asked if I could mimic it with the amp modeler I use. I couldn't (note, I don't do any tone-matching or tone-stealing (whatever it's called) when you mic an amp and then pulse it with the amp modeler). But the differences we heard were meaningless in the context of a mix - because the real amp recording had to be tamed significantly to fit into the mix.

Anyway, yeah, just kinda curious about the analog synth in-the-mix question... (and sorry this is a bit off topic).

rezoneight wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm
Oh please. Opinions are like assholes man. Generally it seems that the "hardware will always be better" camp does this to justify the ridiculous amounts of money they are spending.

I just spent $3600 on a new Prophet-5. It sounds wonderful and I don't regret for a second buying it. But I'm not going to pretend that it sounds worlds better than any of the good analog emulations I also own, which were a fraction of the cost, and with a nice hardware front end would be just as good. SH-2 plug-in/out from Roland sounds just as good as the analog hardware does, I have both. Getting rid of the vintage hardware because the System-8 provides the playability part AND the software gives me more features than the original. Not to mention no upkeep like for the hardware. Pro-One also being sold because Repro-1 is dead on and doesn't have any maintenance costs like the Pro-One did.

System-8 is technically hardware. Cobalt-8 also sounds fantastic and is hardware. But of course they're both really just software. Korg opsix and Wavestate...software with a hardware shell. Same deal.
Oh Please… First of all, that’s women to you, MAN!
Secondly, You’re tripping if you think I worry about things like that. Seriously, why would I, that’s f**king weird, MAN!
Enjoy music, MAN! Life is too short.

Very few people hear the difference in a mix with the quality of VA nowadays but a lot of people find working with hardware more fun and inspirational than sitting in front of a computer...plus they look so much better in the studio when people come around ;-) As for guitar amps...I have way too many and I honestly think I play better when playing in to an amp (they sound a lot better 'until' recorded)...sitting in front of a computer moving a mouse about isn't what I imagined when I set out as a musician!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm plus they look so much better in the studio when people come around ;-) As for guitar amps...
💯%

SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm sitting in front of a computer moving a mouse about isn't what I imagined when I set out as a musician!
Did you want to be a musician ? Or did you want to make music?
That makes a difference on how you approach this....

SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm Very few people hear the difference in a mix with the quality of VA nowadays but a lot of people find working with hardware more fun and inspirational than sitting in front of a computer...plus they look so much better in the studio when people come around ;-) As for guitar amps...I have way too many and I honestly think I play better when playing in to an amp (they sound a lot better 'until' recorded)...sitting in front of a computer moving a mouse about isn't what I imagined when I set out as a musician!
I definitely agree 💯 with you. I find hardware inspiring and get more creative and write differently than I would with software. I also have very good ad/da converters and recording capabilities, and I think the hardware I have does sound better than software emulations.
Also, I’m a software dev and spend too many hours staring at screen, so hardware is a welcome break.

Anyhow, sorry to drag the software chat off topic.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:56 pm

Secondly, You’re tripping if you think I worry about things like that. Seriously, why would I, that’s f**king weird, MAN!
Hell I wish I were tripping, might make bearing these endless nonsense posts about how "hardware" is better possible. Pretty sure you do "worry about things like that", otherwise you wouldn't be in here saying "Top tier to me is hardware, none of this digital stuff comes close" then covering it my saying "well its just my opinion". It's nonsense. It does come close. All of the top tier developers are modeling off of real hardware that they have at-hand.

And wow, so triggered by "man" which, since you're from the US, should be obvious doesn't literally mean "man". Its like when people say "guys" to a mixed group. Lordy get over yourself :lol:

Oh and you're a software developer. That explains a ton.

rezoneight wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:26 pm
simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:56 pm

Hell I wish I were tripping, might make bearing these endless nonsense posts about how "hardware" is better possible. Pretty sure you do "worry about things like that", otherwise you wouldn't be in here saying "Top tier to me is hardware, none of this digital stuff comes close" then covering it my saying "well its just my opinion". It's nonsense. It does come close. All of the top tier developers are modeling off of real hardware that they have at-hand.

And wow, so triggered by "man" which, since you're from the US, should be obvious doesn't literally mean "man". Its like when people say "guys" to a mixed group. Lordy get over yourself :lol:

Oh and you're a software developer. That explains a ton.
Wow, you have some issues little man. Sending you a big hug 🤗

Oh and seeing as you’re obviously loving your little performance here, let’s take it to PM’s, and let the thread move on.
I already apologized for going off topic, you want to make it personal in your little playground here, so come on little man, PM me, Let’s f**king go!

Return to “Instruments”