Contest: March ”Submission”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A Dry song

Do a song without Delay, Reverb, Echo, Flanger, Chorus, or others that would fit those criteria.
and it doesn't matter if reverb is from a plugin, pedal or rack, or a church NO reverb is allowed.

attack/decay/release and retriggering notes. is allowed.

Must contain at least 3 instruments of your choice.

Compressors/limiters/Eq and others of a similar sort are allowed

Time limit 4 min
Submitted by March 28

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 .ogg (.Wav .Flac) format.
In use of Wav or Flac, you need to offer Mp3 also, so people can choose.

2 - Time Limit: 4 min
3 - Entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by March 28

5 - Your entry(s) must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry(s) must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1909_MonDieu_OxygeneXVII.mp3"), where the artist name is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - Resubmission of your track is allowed in the same post, so long you do it before the voting begins.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to hellfog

Edit: I'm disqualifying my entry  :ud:
Had plans that the short thing I uploaded was only the intro and then it would bust out in psychedelic funk mayhem. 8)

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Yadrichik_Chaya on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

I seldom use FX in any pronounced way anyway so dryness is almost given. The song is a cover of Jean Sibelius' Finlandia, a silly experiment of how to add lots of notes to a melody.

2303_harvon_Finlandia_cover.mp3

Studio One
NI Kontakt stock libraries
No FX of any kind

As someone that usually uses A LOT of FX, this was pretty tricky. But fun to do! Encourages a more subdued approach for me, which is a good thing.

IN MY MIND

Used:
Cubase 12
Ethno World 6
Sonic Couture Morpheus
Uhe Podolski
Surge Synth
Spitfire Labs
Battery
Kontakt stock libraries
A guitar
Vocal Snippet from IQ Samples Sunset Pop
FX: panning, EQ, comp/limiting, filter resonance, saturation, repitching, manual delay.

Back at the DAW after a long break, here is my entry for this month. Very fun to play with panning and positioning.

IS THIS DRY ENOUGH?

Logic Pro
Drummer from Logic
Podolski
Zebralette
Alchemy
Surge XT
ES1
G&L LB 100 bass
Voice by my friend Liz
Lots of free effects, compressors, tape distortion...

Hope you like it.

Sneaky Twist

Dry AD Drums, Dry Trilogy bass, Dry Lounge lizard, Dry strat, Dry Waldorf Rocket through Kjareus autofilter

My entry "Before We Pulled The Plug" - A song sung by future human survivors of an AI war. They narrowly won by destroying all technology and resetting civilisation.

https://soundcloud.com/slugnest/before- ... al_sharing

I went a step further than going 'dry'. I was inspired to use no virtual instruments and just a few mastering plugins. It was all live recorded acoustic instruments:

Acoustic bass, Fender acoustic guitar, mandolin, swan whistle, 7 tracks of my vocals, djembe drum, cajón drum, aboriginal rhythm sticks, tambourine & maracas. I had a lot of fun making all that noise!

DAW: Reaper.
Captain Silverpants

Now Is The Time

DAW
Tracktion 7

Instruments
Yamaha acoustic guitar
Squier bass guitar

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums 2 (all effects and reverbs turned off)
Tracktion 4-Band EQ & Low/High Pass Filter
TDR Feedback Compressor & Nova
HaNonB701 (all effects and reverbs turned off)
VinKEY (all effects and reverbs turned off)
Vocal King
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

https://soundcloud.com/violator-alba-99 ... al_sharing

Leaving it a bit late to polish (hey it's meant to be dry...) here's this month's effort, stretching the concept of 'instrument'. Here I have thrown together ukulele, hands and feet. No effects used beyond my usual KClip/dpMeter setup with a wee bit glue compression and compression/EQ/limiter on the master. And an effort to reduce the noise of a less than ideal recording location.

Also debuting Domino the Jack Russell on vocals.

And if you're wondering, he smells like a digestive biscuit. Or a corn chip...

Black beat.mp3

It's a rythmic backdrop based on the earlier theme of only black keys.
Was too thin for that theme so with an additional month it's ok for (a preview) this theme.
It has potential and could get really good with further edits and a singer-melody-text.

Daw - Cakewalk
Synth - one Xpand2! and two Purity
Drums - VD-SOLID
Bass - SI-Bass guitar
Last edited by Saffran on Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/user-637213504/d ... al_sharing

Hi!

This is made in biwig,
Drums are bass station II, with a little kick layering from bitwig's library
Bass is deepmind 12
there are two Uhe Ace basses too (double bass like at the end)
Other synth is my Hydrasynth
I recorded live my flamenco guitar
my Gibson les paul witch is going in several bluecat audio axiom
A little rough around the edges, but fot no time ro do better...
Hope you like it nonetheless and I that got it by the rules as it's my first time in here !

http://musically.me.uk/NewMusic/2303_fo ... _Stuff.mp3

Just about in under the wire and it's rather unfinished. There are other things I'm not happy with so it won't stay up after the contest. Still it's there :phew:
My usual setup, and instrument sounds are ( several originally with reverb that I've disabled)

Silver bell
Rushes
Soft Flute
Yet Another Flute
Prophesy
Slow Strings
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”