Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

hi, am looking for the thread that is discussing twin 3... :o

playing around with it (finally) and think i'll add it to my arsenal (plus have a discount as i own a sh*tload of FF plugins already). fun times :tu:

fisherKing wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:51 pm hi, am looking for the thread that is discussing twin 3... :o

playing around with it (finally) and think i'll add it to my arsenal (plus have a discount as i own a sh*tload of FF plugins already). fun times :tu:
The problem with fabfilter is when you get one you want all. Their UI is so much in advance and the quality is so good.

Here's my in depth review of Twin 3 having been a long time Twin 2 owner:

Meh.... :zzz:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:02 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:51 pm hi, am looking for the thread that is discussing twin 3... :o

The problem with fabfilter is when you get one you want all. Their UI is so much in advance and the quality is so good.
i live & die by their eq, comp, limiter, reverb, etc. so far, twin 3 is nice enough... perhaps not essential (the way the other plugins are). still, i need more time with it

fisherKing wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:02 pm
Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:02 pm The problem with fabfilter is when you get one you want all. Their UI is so much in advance and the quality is so good.
i live & die by their eq, comp, limiter, reverb, etc. so far, twin 3 is nice enough... perhaps not essential (the way the other plugins are). still, i need more time with it
Fully agree. I actually started with twin 3 and didn't understood why people was not rave about this plugin. And then buying the others plugins, I understand that we could have expected even more from fabfilter. Their other plugins are like "end game" of their category. Twin 3 is super fun but not "end game".

nusound mind wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:56 amHopefully the update fixed the mod placements that's the one thing I find awkward, working the modulation section at the bottom.
Well, the modulation section is still at the bottom (much like it is within the Kilohearts eco system). So, I have no problem there.

I'm just glad that Fabfilter implemented two requests I made over on their user forum, the option to auto expand/collapse the modulation sources (as I prefer to keep them always open). And also the ability to enable/disable the Source Flow display.

Along with the interface scaling feature which I (with several other users) had also previously requested, some time ago, means that in this latest and greatest update, Fabfilter have pretty much addressed and fixed all of my previous workflow issues that I had with some of their recent updates.

Which makes me a very happy customer! :D

MrJubbly wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 pm
nusound mind wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:56 amHopefully the update fixed the mod placements that's the one thing I find awkward, working the modulation section at the bottom.
Well, the modulation section is still at the bottom (much like it is within the Kilohearts eco system). So, I have no problem there.

I'm just glad that Fabfilter implemented two requests I made over on their user forum, the option to auto expand/collapse the modulation sources (as I prefer to keep them always open). And also the ability to enable/disable the Source Flow display.

Along with the interface scaling feature which I (with several other users) had also previously requested, some time ago, means that in this latest and greatest update, Fabfilter have pretty much addressed and fixed all of my previous workflow issues that I had with some of their recent updates.

Which makes me a very happy customer! :D
I'm getting more used to the mod section, the scaling makes it easier to work the sliders plus I discovered you can click on an empty space and drag left and right to see all of them which was my main issue that some mod sources were cut off on either side.

I'm using Twin 3 in new projects and maybe it's sheer luck but I always seem to come up with something that sticks and fits like a glove into the mix of the track so that's the important part. Sound quality to cpu hit ratio is also impressive imo.

nusound mind wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:01 pm I'm getting more used to the mod section, the scaling makes it easier to work the sliders plus I discovered you can click on an empty space and drag left and right to see all of them which was my main issue that some mod sources were cut off on either side.
Yeah, Fabfilter suggested this to me when I had reported my other gripe about Twin 3's smaller (and therefore less accessible) modulation section scrollbar. The fact that you can just click and drag an empty area of the background mitigates that issue (even easier I find, when the 'Source flow' feature is disabled).
nusound mind wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:01 pm I'm using Twin 3 in new projects and maybe it's sheer luck but I always seem to come up with something that sticks and fits like a glove into the mix of the track so that's the important part. Sound quality to cpu hit ratio is also impressive imo.
That's something I always found with even its predecessor, Twin 2. Namely, that although some sounds created within the synth may possibly sound a little underwhelming on their own (to some people ~ which is one of the reasons I believe Twin has been very underrated by many). The synth still has an uncanny knack of really slotting into the mix of any project with relative ease, and sounding great within the context of a full track. to boot.

Not entirely sure why, but Twin often seems to require less "taming" than many other synths to fit nicely into a mix. It's not something you consciously think much about while using it, but its something I have realised over the years. Maybe, it's because (since the synth is so simple to use itself), that it's very easy to realise the "right" sound very quickly and directly from within the synth itself, perhaps requiring less tweaking after the fact with external effects?

CPU/Resources-wise, I agree. Twin has always been very efficient and easy on CPU. Which, is all the more impressive.

Jac459 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:04 pm Well if it was a feature fight, VPS Avenger and Falcon would eat alive Serum. But it is not. It is also workflow and character. Twin 3 shine also there.
Balance of features, workflow, sonic capabilities, cpu efficiency etc.

While having more sonic range, workflow of Serum is way better than Twin 3. Achieving simple sounds is difficult in Twin 3 as compared to almost any synth.
Jac459 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:04 pm Most people say similar things for every new plugin. ==> are you sure? Lol...
Shiny object syndrome.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:29 pm I already apologized for going off topic, you want to make it personal in your little playground here, so come on little man, PM me, Let’s f**king go!
Might want to consider that I replied before reading your apology but this was funny and made my day. Typical keyboard warrior. You have a nice evening now. :hihi:

Teksonik wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 pm Here's my in depth review of Twin 3 having been a long time Twin 2 owner:

Meh.... :zzz:
Well you certainly are efficient with words Tek :hihi: I happen to love it myself but can see that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

a9k1tp wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:51 am Balance of features, workflow, sonic capabilities, cpu efficiency etc.
Achieving simple sounds is difficult in Twin 3 as compared to almost any synth.
Whaaaat ??!
I have used twin 3 in a few weeks than I ever used Serum (have it since last summer). And to me twin 3 is way easier.
Serum may have been great but if I am looking for features, today I am going to phase plant, not Serum. And I use more vital even than Serum.

But anyway, we have to accept that it is a question of tastes and workflow. We are not necessarily forced to agree.

All these synths are great. They can find different publics.

a9k1tp wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:51 am Achieving simple sounds is difficult in Twin 3 as compared to almost any synth.
Eh? I find the exact opposite to be true. It's extremely easy and quick to make some very simple sounds. What's even better, it's very quick and easy to assign velocity, keyboard tracking, modwheel & aftertouch to tons of parameters to get a truly expressive sound that plays nice over the whole keyboard. This is something I often find frustrating in other synthesizers.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:43 am
Eh? I find the exact opposite to be true. It's extremely easy and quick to make some very simple sounds. What's even better, it's very quick and easy to assign velocity, keyboard tracking, modwheel & aftertouch to tons of parameters to get a truly expressive sound that plays nice over the whole keyboard. This is something I often find frustrating in other synthesizers.
Same here, the sculpting capacity of twin 3 in substractive synthesis are unheard of and freaking intuitive. It is an absolute beast on that aspect.
The modulation system is decent enough compare to the highest standards (phase plant 2).
All in one, it is an extremely intuitive plugin, as usual with fabfilter....

bmanic wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:43 am
a9k1tp wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:51 am Achieving simple sounds is difficult in Twin 3 as compared to almost any synth.
With no per oscillator unison, no FM, no Wavetable, no Comb filter, no Reverb filter, fixed FX routing, and no mod matrix, I can't imagine using Twin 3 efficiently. I tried the demo. :?

I was able to achieve basic sounds quickly in Serum, Vital and Hive.
Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:14 am All these synths are great. They can find different publics.
Preference wise, I am more of a "Hive > Serum > Vital > Dune > Phaseplant > Falcon" person. Yes, Hive is my fav synth ever. I believe less is more but Twin 3 felt too less to work with.

Return to “Instruments”