Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

El°HYM wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:32 pm
jens wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:29 pm lol... what's your definition of "clever" then?
A good sense of humour.
I think he was serious though.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:39 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:32 pm
jens wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:29 pm lol... what's your definition of "clever" then?
A good sense of humour.
I think he was serious though.
Who knows.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Frankly, I was not serious, I would never ever resell RBass or any Waves Renaissance plugin!
I would rather sell my daw just to still have
them in my plugin folder or Waveshell whatever folder. A daw without Waves Renaissance would be almost useless for me, don't even want to imagine.
Only some dealers made an announcement, Waves have not yet,
what a strange game...

The whole "Waves goes subscription only" drama has one true fact:
Waves will not use resellers any more to sell their perpetual licenses.
That's all.
The rest is noise.

So is the "no more resellers" change the only real change? I can update all my junk in the next 24 hours, but I still haven't seen much in the way of real information. I want to keep all my waves stuff working in the manner it works now. If they're making any changes outside of their 3rd party retail sales policy (which doesn't matter to me at all), it would be cool to know in some concrete way.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Yoad Nevo on SonicState saiid that Waves had something big coming at the end of the month. Don’t think he was referring to stopping selling at resellers.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:19 pm Yoad Nevo on SonicState saiid that Waves had something big coming at the end of the month. Don’t think he was referring to stopping selling at resellers.
Maybe just oversampling then.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

revvy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:19 pm Yoad Nevo on SonicState saiid that Waves had something big coming at the end of the month. Don’t think he was referring to stopping selling at resellers.
Going iLok again would mean you can sell your Mercury plus bundle with only 50$ transfer fee. Not that bad development.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:23 pm So is the "no more resellers" change the only real change? I can update all my junk in the next 24 hours, but I still haven't seen much in the way of real information. I want to keep all my waves stuff working in the manner it works now. If they're making any changes outside of their 3rd party retail sales policy (which doesn't matter to me at all), it would be cool to know in some concrete way.
Rumors swirl on multiple forums. I'm going with sales tactic by resellers who are being closed off as a channel.

Waves statement is limited to,
"Due to an upcoming change in our authorization & registration systems, Sunday, March 26, 2023 will be the last day to register dealer-purchased product serial codes that have not yet been registered."

Read into that what you will. Waves is closing off their reseller channel. Perhaps no more. I would think their lawyers would say to be more explicit if they were terminating the sale of perpetual licenses or WUP entirely. Some resellers have created the rest of the urgency, which also works to Waves advantage, since their sales have always been driven by FOMO anyway.

Personally, I'm not paying for any more WUP, not buying anything new, registered the last of my codes today ... but I might take some time to be sure everything I want to have installed is installed and working before Monday. Waves Central is where they get their meathooks into your computer system, and I would certainly expect an update to Waves Central coming in this.
Last edited by kidslow on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unlike many I do wish they went back to ilok or something equivalent.. I have two systems and I am tired of buying two licenses for each product (yes I know I can keep wup up to date and get two license).
rsp
sound sculptist

Leo1999 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:44 pm Frankly, I was not serious, I would never ever resell RBass or any Waves Renaissance plugin!
I would rather sell my daw just to still have
them in my plugin folder or Waveshell whatever folder. A daw without Waves Renaissance would be almost useless for me, don't even want to imagine.
Only some dealers made an announcement, Waves have not yet,
what a strange game...
lol

You certainly are an odd fellow.... the idea of yours which you'd shared with us had been to purchase Waves plugins now for 30bucks to sell them for much more later on while they might be subscription only - so what has that to do with those Waves plugins you already own?

Renaissance huh? So are they any good? I own most of them but never use them... you think I should? :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I wonder what happens to resellers licenses after tomorrow? Places like sweetwater sell Waves licenses but haven't made any mention of the issues with activating after any deadline that I can see.

“Waves.com is undergoing maintenance. To access your Waves account or purchase Waves products at our online store, please try again later.”

So drama. Such exciting.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

"All Waves serial numbers must be registered by March 26, 2023"
By the end of the 26th?
"Waves serial numbers cannot be registered after March 26, 2023"
On the 27th and beyond cannot register the Waves plugins.

I will spend some time today checking if I have any unregistered plugins.
But cannot as the site is undergoing maintenance.

lol I like how I just stumbled upon this (I’m sure I didn’t get the email because I unsubscribe from most lists).

I had an assload of unregistered serials lol, some I don’t even know how I came to own them, and like 4 serials for the same plugins lol.

Heres hoping this cutoff date at least cleans up my waves account from all the clutter.

Return to “Effects”