Suggest a/b comparison tool

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The subject says it all. Looking for good a/b comparison plugin.

A/B Metric by ADPTR audio. Anything else is subpar.

viewtopic.php?t=594985

or

Hofa Blind Test – downloading the test version restricts it to three slots, enough for A/B.
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/4u-blindtest/

MeldaProduction MCompare is extremely full-featured and easy to use. Price is $70 but several times a year it's 50% off, so if you can wait, it's a huge value when on sale.

Metric AB by ADPTR was my go-to, but they STILL do not have an Apple Silicon build. So, if you are using a new Mac, I would avoid Metric AB.

Are you sure you cant do this in your daw? 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Comparing A/B exported files offline:
For offline comparing of exported files I quite like Expose by Mastering the Mix - one click auto-gain matches the tracks (and it seems super accurate). You can push your arrow keys to flick between A and B and there is little or no delay/drop in signal when doing so - so it's very good for blindtesting against the placebo effect.

Comparing plugins/FX chains:
In the DAW to compare chains or plugins, I just use solo'ing and the padlock function in FL Studio (all other plugins get locked ON, while I solo ON/OFF between the 2 plugins I'm comparing).

Comparing reference track to my track in the DAW in realtime:
For directly comparing my music against a reference in the DAW, I either import and just volume match by ear and then solo A/B between them - or use Mastering the Mix's Reference to compare against sections of multiple commercial tracks. Also gives you stats on frequency balance, stereo width and dynamic comparison.

The ADPTR seems good and I own it but haven't really used it since Reference (V1) does all I need.

Return to “Effects”