The Purple Audio MC77 Compressor is the best FET

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone ever tried this plugin?
I think it sounds better than the waves or UA plugins of 1176-styled compressors. And it got lots of extra features that the other one´s dont have AND it is on sale right now for 29.99 on plugin alliance.
What do you guys think about it? I have the feeling it is pretty unknown for how good it is.

It's on sale since release, isn't it?
Maybe just for two months a year it's
not to make one think it's a good and
pricy product.
Purchased, because I wanted a plugin
with purple color, didn't like it, though,
so sold it again. IK Black I like better
and Omnisheps FET comp.

Leo1999 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:48 pm It's on sale since release, isn't it?
pricy product.
and Omnisheps FET comp.
True. Still a good price I guess. But yeah maybe I´m to hyped because of the purple color :D

MACMUTSCHELLER wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:57 pm
pricy product.
and Omnisheps FET comp.
True. Still a good price I guess. But yeah maybe I´m to hyped because of the purple color :D
No kidding, just demo to see whether you find some use for it. I remember that the results never were satisfactory and I always found a better alternative like with all pa plugins.

Leo1999 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:01 pm
MACMUTSCHELLER wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:57 pm
pricy product.
and Omnisheps FET comp.
No kidding, just demo to see whether you find some use for it. I remember that the results never were satisfactory and I always found a better alternative like with all pa plugins.
Yeah I guess i´ll demo the IK Black too. But still, when I a/b it to the waves it really sounds better to my ears.
Do you have any opinion on Analog Obsession´s Fetish?

IK Black or Scheps are my fav FET comps
Last edited by Leo1999 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's a good 76-style compressor. But note: the Purple MC-77 hardware that it's based on is a modern take on an 1176 and not a direct clone. It's more hifi sounding. I've used the hardware in the studio years ago and it's definitely 76-sounding, but modern and less trashy. The plugin does a good job capturing that IMO.

It’s good but I sold it A long time ago - too bright sounding. Probably good on real drums, though. Which I don’t use.

IK Black 76, Arturia Comp FET-76, and all 3 UAD 1176s sound pretty much indistinguishable. You can’t go wrong with any of them. The UADs will do any combination of buttons, not only “all buttons.”

I’ve always used IK Black 76 since it came out, but I also own the FET-76 as part of the Arturia FX bundle, so I might switch to it instead, because I like the way it looks more. They’re so close that that becomes a factor.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:07 pm I’ve always used IK Black 76 since it came out, but I also own the FET-76 as part of the Arturia FX bundle, so I might switch to it instead, because I like the way it looks more. They’re so close that that becomes a factor.
They are totally different feature-wise... ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Only if you get into Arturia’s advanced features. But I haven’t used Time Warp or the Detection Mode. So for straight forward usage, they are the same.

It´s brighter. No artefacts. Like it, but prefer AA Nickel.

jamcat wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:15 pm Only if you get into Arturia’s advanced features. But I haven’t used Time Warp or the Detection Mode. So for straight forward usage, they are the same.
"Straight forward usage" lol...

translation: everything except all this complicated additional stuff I don't really get what it does anyway... (it's not like the (fantastic) Timewarp-feature was all the "Advanced" bit of the plugins had to offer - very far from it)

the IK one also has got features the Arturia one doesn't by the way.

So you there you are with your super-complex mixing environment (as laid out by you in that analog console emulation thread), yet you don't even use sidechain EQ, Mid/Side and all that good stuff...

KVR is really funny these days.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

1176s don’t have “advanced” panels and M/S. :roll:

Pulsar Smasher is a 1176 type comp afaik.
Isn't it for free right now?
I don't need it, have too many compressors, but whoever wants a 1176 could check it!

Return to “Effects”