Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrGonzo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:38 pmSo now I have to pay 25 bucks _every_ month to use the plugins I've already paid for?
The way I read this - you do not need to do anything whatsoever - until such time you actaully NEED to start a sub - like a drastic OS change OR you actually want/need the latest updates to existing items OR want to get something new.

The days of cherry picking are over for sure but my existing single license for all my stuff appears to be normal and functioning. There is nothing indicating I need a sub or anything at this point.

For me - it was clear to see that these guys were just waiting for the chance to formalize this - because that lame a** Update Plan was nothing more than a sub in cheap clothing all this time.

VP
Last edited by Vocalpoint Studios on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

And of course, WCA is just a single activation. Wanna activate on 2 computers? Buy additional subscriptions. Great!

The new Waves Central seems to be updating all my V14 plugins right now, even those out of WUP.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

standalone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm The new Waves Central seems to be updating all my V14 plugins right now, even those out of WUP.
Yeah.. I'm hesitant to do that.. Somehow I don't trust it :lol:

standalone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm The new Waves Central seems to be updating all my V14 plugins right now, even those out of WUP.
Yep - moves everything to 14.12.90.381 after it completes.

All of mine were updated successfully and I tested a pile of them in Studio One 6.1 - all working normally.

VP

nooooooooooo

Native Instruments will be the next company moving to subscriptions. Pretty sure
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

You can still install the legacy stuff it just seems there's more hoops to jump through now and none of it will be supported and no way to get it supported going forward now unless you opt in for the sub, but then if you cancel the sub I guess the plugs go back to legacy versions ?

Wow! :o So the resellers were being straight and Waves was playing their typical games. Shitty company treating their customers shitty. Who woulda thunk it. :dog:

I ran Waves Central yesterday and installed what I would like to have going forward. I will not run Waves Central again until absolutely necessary, and avoid the updates mentioned here ... that likely add no functionality except something that benefits Waves in this scheme. I guess my days of spending money on Waves are over. Hopefully can get another 3-5 years of access to my perpetuals.

Waves have lost me as a customer in future, don't worry, they will survive!
The thing I won't forgive them is that you was not informed by Waves conerning the changes, they simply did it
That's a no-go! Lol
3rd dev that I will completely ignore in future, I expect more to come...
Using your daws stock plugins primarly
is the future!
Last edited by Leo1999 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

beely wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:31 pm
Is Waves Creative Access the only way to get Waves plugins now?

Yes, as of March 26, 2023, Waves Creative Access subscriptions are the only way to get Waves plugins.
No more perpetual licenses, and no more (perpetual) sales.
No more WUP to update existing plugins either from what I can see. If you want to update you have to go on subscription. Is that the case now?

What happens if I subscribe for 1 month? Are all of my plugins updated?
Last edited by billcarroll on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm No more WUP to update existing plugins either from what I can see. If you want to update you have to go on subscription. Is that the case now?
Yes.

beely wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:20 pm
billcarroll wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm No more WUP to update existing plugins either from what I can see. If you want to update you have to go on subscription. Is that the case now?
Yes.
Crazy. What happens if I subscribe for 1 month? Are all of my plugins updated? Do they revert back to old versions after I end my subscription?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:22 pm
beely wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:20 pm
Yes.
Crazy. What happens if I subscribe for 1 month? Are all of my plugins updated? Do they revert back to old versions after I end my subscription?
You could ask Waves support but I have a feeling you would trade in the perpetuals for the sub plugins.

Never thought I'd see the day when people would be pining for WUP, but gotta hand it to Waves to find a way to replace it with something even shittier. Only time will tell if this was an own goal.

Also, I predict the price of account takeovers, especially for accounts heavy on V14+ perpetuals, is likely to go up. Unintended consequences.
Last edited by kidslow on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”