Neural Amp Modeler NAM amp capture/profile player FREE *December 14, 2023 update 0.7.7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AC222 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:58 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:42 am
AC222 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pmWhen you dial up a cranked JCM 800 with a booster in front you can get the amp to roar. In the current state, this to me is missing here and I hope this can be improved upon.
Recording, or it didn’t happen.
Just use your ears bud. Also listen to the the emissary plugin demo. Older version or not you can hear with the same consistency that the captures version sounds flatter than the original as in less lively in the transient response. It's a great tool for what it is. Just pointing out I don't think we are quite there yet as in the captures are exactly like the real thing. Some discerning individuals can tell the difference and for them it that difference whether it is small or big may matter.

For many folks, they won't care and will be thrilled to get a free approximation of an amp sound but for those that try to convince that it is indistinguishable, they could take their sales pitch somewhere else.
That’s what I thought. Every single time a purest makes a declaration and is asked to back it up with evidence, they go all conspiracy theory defensive, and offer nothing of value.

I’m reminded of the demo that pushed me to buy an AxeFX. It was a blind test buy a guy who’s notoriously anti modeler. I picked the AxeFX as my preference almost every time, and when I didn’t, it was too close to call.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yeah, ears are easily fooled.

I do these TONEX captures, then at the A/B step listen to the real amp versus the modeled one, and I can swear I hear maybe a small difference, but I'm in control of the A/B. And I couldn't say one was necessarily better. Or maybe they're not different at all. If it were blind, I'd probably fail miserably. Maybe in the case of that product, they should have a random+blind A/B option at the review step.

We also have all these preconceived notions about what's supposed to sound better, how more money = better tone, etc. I've been using virtual amps since before the original Pod, and thought that thing was killer at the time, but I know more now and I think profilers are the first time I'm really hearing a phenomonal amp experience in the box. Depending on the profile of course.

That said, I think in 10 years we'll be laughing at the current-state of profiling technology and we'll probably have virtual captures that actually can simulate the entire amp and they'll probably sound a bit better at any given setting than what we've got today. For instance, you could probably cut down an aliasing a bit in the current profilers. They can probably build in noise reduction techniques and/or automatic phase alignment to get better sounding captures. That's just how things go. Technology improves.

metalifuxx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:50 am It still seems the majority of the users feel Facebook is the current best working platform (there is an ongoing poll), so that is where people are posting captures, features request/ideas, questions/bugs, offering their help/input/resources/graphical skills.
It is, however, a self-selecting group with an inherent bias. Like many in this thread, I'm not remotely interested in FB. And by extension, that also means I won't be able to vote in the poll.

It stands to reason that people who use FB are happy to use FB, which is really all that poll tells us ;)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:11 pm Yeah, ears are easily fooled.

I do these TONEX captures, then at the A/B step listen to the real amp versus the modeled one, and I can swear I hear maybe a small difference, but I'm in control of the A/B. And I couldn't say one was necessarily better. Or maybe they're not different at all. If it were blind, I'd probably fail miserably. Maybe in the case of that product, they should have a random+blind A/B option at the review step.

We also have all these preconceived notions about what's supposed to sound better, how more money = better tone, etc. I've been using virtual amps since before the original Pod, and thought that thing was killer at the time, but I know more now and I think profilers are the first time I'm really hearing a phenomonal amp experience in the box. Depending on the profile of course.

That said, I think in 10 years we'll be laughing at the current-state of profiling technology and we'll probably have virtual captures that actually can simulate the entire amp and they'll probably sound a bit better at any given setting than what we've got today. For instance, you could probably cut down an aliasing a bit in the current profilers. They can probably build in noise reduction techniques and/or automatic phase alignment to get better sounding captures. That's just how things go. Technology improves.
After a few days messing with NAM, I put Tonex (as a plugin) though a more proper test. (The current implementation in Amplitube is a bit messy)

My conclusion was… it’s just as good. How could you judge accuracy? I never do. I just pick what sounds good to me, and it sounded good. That PRS amp f’n rules. When I put same amps up against each other, I never thought either one was appreciably “better,” Just different.

Again, I’ll say that I ended up with an AxeFX after I picked it again and again in a blind test. It definitely didn’t sound exactly like the amp it was emulating, but I felt it sounded a bit better. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

NAM is very good sounding at first test. Would be handy to have arrows for easier scrolling through folders.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

+1 For scroll arrows, would also like to be able to set default folders for captures and IR's.
Other than that, I find NAM very useable and have found some nice captures. My thanks to the developer for his efforts and to the community doing the captures.

Tried NAM with DiBiQuadro PwrCabs, made all the difference in realism, worlds apart from a basic IR.

PwrCabs transformed the captures to another level of realism and playability. I recorded a noodle using this method, and will add it here. The cabs have up to 50% off during sales, I think, I got them for €15.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:38 pm Tried NAM with DiBiQuadro PwrCabs, made all the difference in realism, worlds apart from a basic IR.

PwrCabs transformed the captures to another level of realism and playability. I recorded a noodle using this method, and will add it here. The cabs have up to 50% off during sales, I think, I got them for €15.
Any noticeable latency?
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

MRT wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:12 pm +1 For scroll arrows, would also like to be able to set default folders for captures and IR's.
Other than that, I find NAM very useable and have found some nice captures. My thanks to the developer for his efforts and to the community doing the captures.
Thanks for this. I’ve been having good luck with NadIR, but I wouldn’t mind something a step up.
Zerocrossing Media

escalona wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:38 pm Tried NAM with DiBiQuadro PwrCabs, made all the difference in realism, worlds apart from a basic IR.

Any noticeable latency?
Not really. Nothing noticeable, MOTU M4 set to a 64 or lower buffer size.
I used the Power cabs VST3 X64.
Waves IR-L for send reverb.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

*0.7.1 Update*
Mostly improvements to the IR loading part. Hopefully it makes it more useful for folks.

- Migrate core DSP into a separate repo by @sdatkinson in #128
- WAV improvements by @sdatkinson in #129
-Fix IR loudness (#100)
-Remember most recent model and IR paths separately in file picker (#72)

https://github.com/sdatkinson/NeuralAmp ... tag/v0.7.1

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:03 pm
AC222 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pmWhen you dial up a cranked JCM 800 with a booster in front you can get the amp to roar. In the current state, this to me is missing here and I hope this can be improved upon.
Just use your ears bud. Also listen to the the emissary plugin demo. Older version or not you can hear with the same consistency that the captures version sounds flatter than the original as in less lively in the transient response. It's a great tool for what it is. Just pointing out I don't think we are quite there yet as in the captures are exactly like the real thing. Some discerning individuals can tell the difference and for them it that difference whether it is small or big may matter.

For many folks, they won't care and will be thrilled to get a free approximation of an amp sound but for those that try to convince that it is indistinguishable, they could take their sales pitch somewhere else.
That’s what I thought. Every single time a purest makes a declaration and is asked to back it up with evidence, they go all conspiracy theory defensive, and offer nothing of value.

I’m reminded of the demo that pushed me to buy an AxeFX. It was a blind test buy a guy who’s notoriously anti modeler. I picked the AxeFX as my preference almost every time, and when I didn’t, it was too close to call.
Really not sure where you getting the defensive bit and now throwing in conspiracy theories. A bit over the top, don't you think? Just making some routine observations and responding to a passive aggressive bit with your post it or it didn't happen comment.

This is starting to remind me of when little kids getting together and imagine that dinosaurs still exist and they start feeding the fantasy in concert. Quite amusing I must say.

AC222 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:40 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:03 pm

Really not sure where you getting the defensive bit and now throwing in conspiracy theories. A bit over the top, don't you think? Just making some routine observations and responding to a passive aggressive bit with your post it or it didn't happen comment.

This is starting to remind me of when little kids getting together and imagine that dinosaurs still exist and they start feeding the fantasy in concert. Quite amusing I must say.
Nah. It’s just that I’ve heard your song before, from so many. Either you can back up what you say, or you should shut up. You’re the one peddling magic, my friend, with no evidence. Show us all this magical roar. If it’s so evident, we should all be able to hear it in a recording and then you’ll be our hero. How hard is it to make a quick demo?
Zerocrossing Media

As mentioned previously and with the shared Mesa Mark IV nam file a few pages back, Leon is fully onboard and will be making more captures of his amps

https://youtu.be/PjgrYB-EPbE

morelia wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:02 am NAM is very good sounding at first test. Would be handy to have arrows for easier scrolling through folders.
By all means, drop a request on the issues page for the plugins :)

https://github.com/sdatkinson/NeuralAmp ... gin/issues

Return to “Effects”