Waves...smh

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:57 am Abandon Waves. I did a few years ago. I kept the products of theirs I wanted to retain, assuming I'd never be able to sell them, and never bought another plugin from them again. Give it a try. There are way more better options for every Waves plugin out there with other competitors. Show them your opinion by no longer giving them your money.
Absolutely what I'm going to do. I couldn't care less if they walk this back, the damage is done. I only wish I'd done it sooner (unfortunately I got suckered into WUPing everything I own last year since most of it was a few versions behind). They have some pretty decent plugins, but it's not worth the games. F*** em.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:04 am
plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:57 am Abandon Waves. I did a few years ago. I kept the products of theirs I wanted to retain, assuming I'd never be able to sell them, and never bought another plugin from them again. Give it a try. There are way more better options for every Waves plugin out there with other competitors. Show them your opinion by no longer giving them your money.
Absolutely what I'm going to do. I couldn't care less if they walk this back, the damage is done. I only wish I'd done it sooner (unfortunately I got suckered into WUPing everything I own last year since most of it was a few versions behind). They have some pretty decent plugins, but it's not worth the games. F*** em.
And as has been pointed out, a benefit of this is no more WUP. Another benefit is no more Waves BS marketing emails. Sure they may send emails promoting their sub, but guess what... I am completely unsubscribing from Waves now! No reason not to! No more BS Waves email! wow... thanks Waves thats great you got rid of two annoying plugin-world things with this. Oh, and my customership.

I have virtually done this, but I'm still annoyed by the whole thing. Annoyed, but not surprised. I'm downloading the legacy installers, but truthfully, I don't think that I can care anymore.

Waves has nowhere near the pseudo monopoly in professional fields that Adobe did. Don’t see this as a watershed moment at all.

f**k Waves. Long live native DAW plug-ins.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Greenstorm33 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:04 am
F*** em.
it is a good synth but whats up whit the sampler build in, seems like out of touch for a FM synth
fem_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

kidslow wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:03 am True vurt, Adobe opened the door and proved subscription-only could make business sense. Waves success here would unleash the deluge. Waves is no Adobe, and most of their competition are likely to take a watch and wait approach, but definitely this is a barometer moment for the industry. Since Waves is not a public company like Adobe, perhaps the only way to measure the success of this will be whether or not they backtrack within 12 months.
different market for adobe though and the competitors are fewer.. much fewer. also adobe has been a standard in design/graphics etc for soooooo long where as waves... hasn't. and waves has countless competitors that offer superior products.

i have enough monthly bills.. i don't need another one.. whatever dev goes subscription only is dead to me.. i'll keep using the handful of waves plug ins i have until they no longer work after an OS update or whatever...

I'm glad I started replacing all my Waves plugins since about 2016, which was about 4 years after Adobe went to a software-as-a-service model. What motivated my decision was a survey they invited me to, regarding subscription-only plans. Since then I had a strong feeling about this day. Honestly, I can understand the decision to implement this model into their infrastructure, but to completely deprecate perpetual license updating for previous license holders without notice or update to their TOS...is unfair to their loyal customers.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Why do the Waves V14 VST3s not work in Reaper now?

Anybody know? Will this be fixed?

ShawnMH wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 am Why do the Waves V14 VST3s not work in Reaper now?

Anybody know? Will this be fixed?
I don't use Reaper, but had the same thing happen in Bitwig. When I downloaded and updated with the offline installer, it borked the "date modified" attributes in:

Code: Select all

WaveShell1-VST3 14.0_x64.vst3
so that it appeared to be newer than the latest:

WaveShell1-VST3 14.12_x64.vst3
Try changing the file extensions of every WaveShell except:

WaveShell1-VST3 14.12_x64.vst3
to something like...

WaveShell1-VST3 14.0_x64.vst3OLD
...and then rescan your plugins. Worked for me.

I just closed Reaper, restarted it, and they are working now.

I'd have thought the whole scanning new/updated plugins (Reaper) at the 1st startup would suffice? Cubase scanned at startup, and they were good to go. Working now, anyhow.

NWO Plugins
First and foremost: We need great songs (again)

revvy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:12 am Waves has nowhere near the pseudo monopoly in professional fields that Adobe did. Don’t see this as a watershed moment at all.
You apparently misread what I wrote, which was barometer moment, as in the industry will use this moment to take a reading on whether subscriptions can be crammed down on their customers or not. Watershed, which does not appear in the thread prior to your using it, means something else entirely.

kidslow wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 am
revvy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:12 am Waves has nowhere near the pseudo monopoly in professional fields that Adobe did. Don’t see this as a watershed moment at all.
You apparently misread what I wrote, which was barometer moment, as in the industry will use this moment to take a reading on whether subscriptions can be crammed down on their customers or not. Watershed, which does not appear in the thread prior to your using it, means something else entirely.
I made a post and quoted and referenced nobody. That’s right, I’m the OP of the word watershed. That’s me, full of original ideas. I see nothing pivotal or groundbreaking and that’s what I wrote.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I created this spreadsheet to keep track of Waves alternatives. Feel free to contribute and share this where you feel it would be relevant...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

wangeroge wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:31 pm Maybe they just pretend to go subscription only. In a few days they will activate WUP again and no one will ever complain about it anymore. :lol:
6 days until april 1st :D

Return to “Effects”