Studio One 6.1 is in the pipeline

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice little update.
I never liked the color picker in Studio One, but now I can create my own color palette.

Studio One needs to implement Hermode Tuning, which is dynamic tuning for Just intonation. Basically, the precise tuning of notes in orchestral music will change depending on the musical context of the note. In other words, 'A' may not always be 440, depending on what key you're in, and what other notes are playing with it.

Hermode Tuning is an algorithm that retunes MIDI on the fly to match this natural pitch variation. Both Cubase and Logic support it.

Melodyne has the same kind of dynamic tuning for audio built in.

http://www.hermode.com/index_en.html

https://answers.presonus.com/37294/impl ... ode-tuning
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

All these deep and complex requests, and all I want is the simple stuff, like being able to drag out a track for how many bars you need. I just tried to do it and forgot that you have to press "D".

It sounds like you want Studio One to work like Fruity Loops instead of like Cubase.

Anyways, Hermode Tuning is not really that exotic of a request. Both Cubase and Logic have supported it for 10 years. It seems very much like the sort of thing Studio One would and should support.

Here are some videos demonstrating Hermode Tuning in Cubase and Logic, respectively.

https://youtu.be/KTY_E4CWoBI

https://youtu.be/QGNEeGxgXaU

jamcat wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:22 am It sounds like you want Studio One to work like Fruity Loops instead of like Cubase.
I have never used "Fruity Loops". I do own Cubase Pro 12, and you can drag a bar of audio or midi to copy it in that Daw. Bitwig has drag to copy, as does Mixcraft, Logic, Reaper, and Waveform. So, I just would like Studio One to work the same as most other modern DAWs do.

dellboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:03 pmI have never used "Fruity Loops". I do own Cubase Pro 12, and you can drag a bar of audio or midi to copy it in that Daw.
Have to be honest - in either case (MIDI or audio) I have never given any thought to this ever. I just record until I am done and trim/edit to taste. And then I do it again.

Can't imagine a use case (At least in my mind) - that would require me to think - I need this audio block to be exactly 10 bars long? Or I need this MIDI block to be 8 bars long?

For kicks I just opened a new song in S1 - added Battery as instrument, double clicked to add a MIDI region and then dragged the edge of that out for as many bars as I needed. My test was 20 bars - what am I missing here?

VP

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:14 pm
Have to be honest - in either case (MIDI or audio) I have never given any thought to this ever. I just record until I am done and trim/edit to taste. And then I do it again.

Can't imagine a use case (At least in my mind) - that would require me to think - I need this audio block to be exactly 10 bars long? Or I need this MIDI block to be 8 bars long?

For kicks I just opened a new song in S1 - added Battery as instrument, double clicked to add a MIDI region and then dragged the edge of that out for as many bars as I needed. My test was 20 bars - what am I missing here?

VP
Maybe our musical taste is entirely different?

Most of my stuff is synth based, so starts with a bass line to have something to play along too. usually 4 or 9 bars long. That 4 bars of bass may get dragged out to 50 bars just to give something to play along with. Rarely use drums. I play keys and guitar, so its all played in in real time. No step editing or mouse work etc. I might get a four bar loop going and build out from there. Delete and add bars etc. Jamming with your mates,but on your own.The sort of stuff you would do in Live or Bitwig, but in S1 instead.

dellboy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:54 pm Maybe our musical taste is entirely different?

Most of my stuff is synth based, so starts with a bass line to have something to play along too. usually 4 or 9 bars long. That 4 bars of bass may get dragged out to 50 bars just to give something to play along with. Rarely use drums.
Sounds like we are very similar actually. As I mentioned (and tested) - I can drag a MIDI region to any length I want - is that not what you are asking for? And duplicating an already recorded 8 bar riff takes two secs with the D key.

Or are you talking about simply dragging this already recorded 8 bar riff by its right most edge and it "auto duplicates" itself?

VP

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:02 pm
Or are you talking about simply dragging this already recorded 8 bar riff by its right most edge and it "auto duplicates" itself?

VP
Yep.

dellboy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pmYep.
Ah - fair enough.

I am a keyboard shortcut guru so D works for me - the less mouse action the better :)

VP

Thing is, Studio One already has a way to duplicate a part out as far as you want. Wanting a different action to perform an existing function is not the same as wanting a missing function.

I don’t think Studio One even could have such an action for duplicating a part, because that action is already taken by a different function, which itself is integral to Studio One’s core philosophy.

As a long-time Studio One user, I would not be happy if a basic action of Studio One suddenly started doing something different.

jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:39 pm
As a long-time Studio One user, I would not be happy if a basic action of Studio One suddenly started doing something different.
Which is why DAWs like Cubase also kept the old way of doing it for those who preferred it that way.Two ways of doing the same thing. A bit like walking - cycling or driving. I prefer cycling.

Duplicating with D no longer working isn’t my concern. It’s that dragging the edge of a clip window to expose more or less of the underlying audio or MIDI would no longer work as expected that would be my concern.

That would fundamentally change the basic philosophy of what a part is in Studio One.

jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 pm Duplicating with D no longer working isn’t my concern. It’s that dragging the edge of a clip window to expose more or less of the underlying audio or MIDI would no longer work as expected that would be my concern.

That would fundamentally change the basic philosophy of what a part is in Studio One.
I would have to admit that I do not have a clue what you mean. At this moment I am in Cubase Pro Audio making a song and am happily dragging bars of midi that I have just played out for as long as I want them. Whether or not Steinberg mucked something up when they gave their users this new way of doing stuff I haven't a clue. I am not a programmer. But the old way of coping bars using "Control-K" (PC) "Command-K" (Mac) still works like it always did.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”