Hive 2 vs Synthmaster One

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I felt like this could be a warranted "vs" post. There are other one page fantastic synths of course, and those of course can be mentioned here, but as far as these go- Hive 2 is more expensive and pretty advanced; but what does Synthmaster One have going for it that Hive 2 misses?

It has a few thing like shaping options at oscillator level, adjustable envelope slopes, a more streamlined interface, and a clear focus on dance music.

Hive 2.
Had both. Sold SM2 and just have the player now, which I got for free and I mostly don't think about using anymore. As much as I like them both, the idea of "locked libraries" has killed SM for me because it's just too bloated. All u-He synths allow me to load what I want, put them where I want and either archive or completely remove the rest.
"Customization is the key to freedom."

GHOST19 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 pm adjustable envelope slopes
You can adjust the Env slopes in Hive by modulating the Env by itself. Also, the Function Generators work as envelopes and they have a dedicated slope control.

Hive sound somehow retro analog-ish to me,if developer add more and different filters may consider it.
Prefer Synthmaster One because it has modulations i use ,which not many synths have (like lfo via lfo,switchable ADSR modes,sub osc is also FM,RING,PM modulator so on).
With some designers magic sounds really dope.
And it's 19 euro with discount:):):)
I think SM2 is what really stand out in the crowd.

SM2 has more oscillator and filter options, but Hive has great interpolation, I love the weird filters including sideband, and you can actually do XY wavetables by adjusting the number of wavetable rows!

pdxindy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:33 pm
GHOST19 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 pm adjustable envelope slopes
You can adjust the Env slopes in Hive by modulating the Env by itself. Also, the Function Generators work as envelopes and they have a dedicated slope control.

Korg Supporter wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:32 pm SM2 has more oscillator and filter options, but Hive has great interpolation, I love the weird filters including sideband, and you can actually do XY wavetables by adjusting the number of wavetable rows!
Hive also has the Uhm scripts. And Function Generators and Shape Sequencers. Hive also supports MPE, MTS-EPS and CLAP.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm Hive sound somehow retro analog-ish to me,if developer add more and different filters may consider it.
You know the clean/normal/dirty modes have different filter models, right? Hive 2 already has a lot of filters for a "fast workflow" synth.

imrae wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:05 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm Hive sound somehow retro analog-ish to me,if developer add more and different filters may consider it.
You know the clean/normal/dirty modes have different filter models, right? Hive 2 already has a lot of filters for a "fast workflow" synth.
Are you sure about that?
I would say that Hive is like Sylenth1 on steroids - one filter with variations LP,BP,HP and few distortion modes,from what i demo,but it's possible to miss something :)
It has this analog vibe,many people adore,but to me is suitable for retro stuff mostly,kind of 80-90s hardware or something,but that's my taste of synth sound.
Anyway 149 vs 19 eu/usd is serious difference in the money right now.
If i was hobbyist or semi pro in a search of a good synths now and have only 150 euro probably will go to discounted Synthmaster1 and Thorn,which are totally under-priced considering price/sound ratio imho and with the rest of the money would buy nice soundsets to play with :)
But that's my taste.
When i paid 139 euro for Syleth1 I just wanted so badly to play with it,but is it worth it considering how limited it is compared to modern wavetable synths?
Absolutelly yes.
Never regret about that money.
Same with Hive.
If you like it and the price isn't too much for you,could be your workhorse or inspiration,cause of the sound or the hype itself.
Sound is subjective thing for everybody.
Most important thing to me is synth you play to give smile on your face and satisfaction.
The rest is technological differences only nerds care about :)
Rob Lee was my inspiration as designer - yeasterday found a preset in his free Sylenth1 banks called Cosmic Dreamer,made few modifacations and now i can't stop playing it :)
Cheers :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:31 am Are you sure about that?
I somehow feel like clearing up some things which I feel like come about wrong here.

Hive 2 has 30 different filter algorithms - each of 10 responses has subtle or not so subtle differences in each of its 3 engines. And those are not just variations of the same old same old, they're all really useful and complementary to the sound generation possibilities. Other synths may have more flavours, but then they often don't offer such a complete set of responses with a similar attention to flavour as Hive does.

Likewise, the engines provide for different envelope slopes, as was topic further up in this thread. These are modelled after whatever was praised most at the time, so if someone needs "this punchy" or "that snappy" from this or that synth, they should find that in Hive easily.

Furthermore, not just self modulation and the Function Generators (which admittedly might seem obscure at first) can be used to shape envelopes or act as envelopes themselves. The ModMatrix has transfer curves and slew limiters which allow for multiple ways to shape envelopes with a click or two of routing. In addition, the Shape Sequencer can be "halted" and run by the envelopes, so one can probably create as many envelope shapes in Hive as in any such synth, easily.

Such that, Hive is a lot deeper than first meets the eye, but it does not require a degree in sound design to get great results, fast.

Any good pointer for hive 2 training? Like youtube channel or so?

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:31 am I would say that Hive is like Sylenth1 on steroids
Twin 3 by Fabfilter can be considered as Sylenth1 on steroids.
Hive comes with wavetable oscillators, various filters including the physical modelling ones and lots of modulation options. It is comparable to Serum, Dune, Vital, Synthmaster2 etc.
Last edited by a9k1tp on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm Hive sound somehow retro analog-ish to me
:o Have you even played with the default patch and opened the filter a bit?
Hive can do digital, analog and physical modelling sounds very easily.

Urs wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:48 am
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:31 am Are you sure about that?
Such that, Hive is a lot deeper than first meets the eye, but it does not require a degree in sound design to get great results, fast.
I'd argue the opposite: sounds like needing a PhD in modular synthesis for basic stuff done in 1 click with clear visual feedback in most modern synths.

You can see how nobody would ever need to read a manual for SM One and compare that to whatever is the whole bottom mod section of Hive 2.

Return to “Instruments”