Please suggest replacements for the following Waves plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nickamandote wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:00 pm Kramer Master Tape
It's not a problem to replace a tape plugin.

The problem is, Kramer does this "sound field placement" thing Alan Meyerson has been talking about, which other tape plugins do not do. I need to find another plugin that does that.

Alan is talking about it here: https://www.youtube.com/live/h9jZqn5lnw ... are&t=1084
He's not talking about the delay, but about the effect that is makes the sound wider somehow. It is true, you can try it yourself when using it on 7.5 IPS.

nickamandote wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:00 pm OK, I'm looking to replace the ones I'm using the most, please suggest non-subscription alternatives:

Kramer Master Tape
SSL-G Master Buss Compressor
CLA-2A
CLA-76
SSL-EV2 (SSL 4000-E)

Thanks!
T-Racks 5 MAX is 99$ right now - it has all of these (and a whole lot more) except the Kramer(if you want to use it as an actual tape-emulator rather than a tape-delay (which T-Racks MAX has also covered)) in great quality ...

But Toneboosters' Reelbus would have you more than just sorted in that regard.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/t ... php?p=gear

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_reelbus_v4.html
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

A: "I feel treated badly by Waves"
B: "Have you thought about trying IK?"

:idea:
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Consona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:02 am Alan is talking about it here: https://www.youtube.com/live/h9jZqn5lnw ... are&t=1084
He's not talking about the delay, but about the effect that is makes the sound wider somehow. It is true, you can try it yourself when using it on 7.5 IPS.
No, the Kramer actually has the tendency to somewhat narrow the sound-field.

The T-Racks ones and the Tonebooster and also the Neold Warble are much better in that regard.

The T-Racks tape-machine have a feature that is called "True Stereo":
TRUE STEREO: even a perfectly aligned tape machine will have a slight level, EQ and distortion differences
between the left and right channels. This is good and part of the analog recording mojo! If a perfectly
identical L and R processing is a must, simply disable this feature.

Thinking about it, it's probably best to recommend the stunning Warble as a replacement for Kramer - delay-duties aside, it totally mops the floor with the poor old Waves plugin and can be had for a tenner as we speak.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Analog Obsession plugins are all free/voluntarily Patreon donation and thus I would highly recommend demoing these before committing to anything more costly!

https://www.patreon.com/analogobsession

LALA is their 2A emu, FET Bundle has an 1176 style compressor, SSQ is an SSL console EQ and BUSTER/BUSTERse is their SSL bus compressor emu. AFAIK, they don't have any tape emulator yet and I'm not familiar with Kramer so I don't feel I can recommend a direct replacement, but personally I use u-he Satin and the tape algos in Fab Filter Saturn 2 for most of my tape saturation needs.
Always Read the Manual!

jens wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:16 pm
Consona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:02 am Alan is talking about it here: https://www.youtube.com/live/h9jZqn5lnw ... are&t=1084
No, the Kramer actually has the tendency to somewhat narrow the sound-field.

The T-Racks ones and the Tonebooster and also the Neold Warble are much better in that regard.

The T-Racks tape-machine have a feature that is called "True Stereo":
TRUE STEREO: even a perfectly aligned tape machine will have a slight level, EQ and distortion differences
between the left and right channels. This is good and part of the analog recording mojo! If a perfectly
identical L and R processing is a must, simply disable this feature.

Thinking about it, it's probably best to recommend the stunning Warble as a replacement for Kramer - delay-duties aside, it totally mops the floor with the poor old Waves plugin and can be had for a tenner as we speak.
So what was Meyerson talking about?

Btw, I have ReelBus 4 and it's great. I also own Warble so it seems I should be good. :)

Consona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:50 pm
So what was Meyerson talking about?

How would I know? (I'm neither psychic nor his agent (nor have I ever even just heard of the dude))

And why would I care?

I think with these guys it's helpful to keep in mind that just because they're somehow good at what they do, that doesn't neccessarily mean that they really know what they are actually talking about.

For example Dave Pensado talks random bollocks all day long on his vlog - doesn't mean he can't be a brilliant engineer.

Consona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:50 pm I also own Warble so it seems I should be good. :)
I think it's easy to underestimate this one... it's extremely versatile, even though it's generally a bit more on the vintage LoFi-ish side of things, just like the Kramer.

The Arturia FX collection is outstanding and while it doesn't exactly replace the RenVox or RenBass, it's rather special in what it does, and has some very unique plugins you won't find anywhere. Baby Audio's stuff is lovely as well.

martinjuenke wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:47 am
Funky40 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:33 am Brauer motion (pan device) / replacement ?
i have the sound particles pan things / any other ?
Cableguys Shaperbox
ahh, thanks !

i have V3, never lodaded it, and never used it for PAN when i used V2.
Just had a quick look,.....not a replacement vs. panning.
But: NEED to begin to finally make use of it ;) Great Tool.

revvy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:06 pm A: "I feel treated badly by Waves"
B: "Have you thought about trying IK?"

:idea:
:lol:

jens wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:32 pm I think it's easy to underestimate this one... it's extremely versatile, even though it's generally a bit more on the vintage LoFi-ish side of things, just like the Kramer.
I really like the sound of Warble, it's quite "classy". :)

But I was fiddling around with ReelBus 4 and the amount of features it has is very impressive. I'll use it on every instrument group to give those samples and synths more life. :) The echo sounds great too.

With Warble, ReelBus and Softube's Tape and Dirty Tape, i'm good for life. Bye Kramer and J37. :D

It's very funny how every time there's a new emulation of a yet-another-SSL or yet-another-LA2A or yet-another-tape, I see droves of people complain that it's all the same pieces of gear done to death by all developers ever, and now we have a topic on "please suggest replacement" for the same pieces of gear that are already done to death by all other developers :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:57 pm It's very funny how every time there's a new emulation of a yet-another-SSL or yet-another-LA2A or yet-another-tape, I see droves of people complain that it's all the same pieces of gear done to death by all developers ever, and now we have a topic on "please suggest replacement" for the same pieces of gear that are already done to death by all other developers :D
We need them all, in case any developer/s decided to pull a fast one!
Always Read the Manual!

jens wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm
nickamandote wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:00 pm OK, I'm looking to replace the ones I'm using the most, please suggest non-subscription alternatives:

Kramer Master Tape
SSL-G Master Buss Compressor
CLA-2A
CLA-76
SSL-EV2 (SSL 4000-E)

Thanks!
T-Racks 5 MAX is 99$ right now - it has all of these (and a whole lot more) except the Kramer(if you want to use it as an actual tape-emulator rather than a tape-delay (which T-Racks MAX has also covered)) in great quality ...

But Toneboosters' Reelbus would have you more than just sorted in that regard.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/t ... php?p=gear

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_reelbus_v4.html
In the past when IKM deeply discounts the bundle that means they're about to release a new version of the bundle. It may or may not be the case this time but something I'd consider.

Also, with IKM, each version requires a download and installation. So if you have the TR3 bundle and are using TR3 Classic Compressor and upgrade to TR4 now you can't just use the TR3 Classic Compressor without installing TR3's Classic Compressor if your project called for TR3 Classic Compressor. It won't just use TR4's version. The plugin is fundamentally the same between V3 and V4 but since it is part of a different package, and the plugins themselves have version numbering in their naming, You have to keep legacy versions on your hard drive.

So you could end up with TR3, TR4, TR5, TR6 of essentially the same thing on your workstation if you open older projects.

Return to “Effects”