UADx Opal Morphing Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MIDI CC disable would be cool, if I want to map my system 1, I can't midi map it in ableton because, there is still a confilct to CC parameters. And i won't change my System1 which is working with all roland synths and already mapped to most of my other synths like U-he, Softube, Tal and Arturia.

sacer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:38 pm MIDI CC disable would be cool, if I want to map my system 1, I can't midi map it in ableton because, there is still a confilct to CC parameters. And i won't change my System1 which is working with all roland synths and already mapped to most of my other synths like U-he, Softube, Tal and Arturia.
Add a midi filter
Brzzzzzzt.

Preset "Gated Me"--I can see when I look at LFO 1 that it is the square wave modulator for the gate sound (changing rate confirms), but I cannot see where it indicates what LFO 1 is assigned to. It does not show up in the Matrix. I'll check out the manual at some point--just wondering.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

UA provided extra capabilities to preset makers for their UAFX pedals. Maybe that also happened here. In the case of those pedals, the only way to gain those extra features is to start from one of those presets.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:33 pm UA provided extra capabilities to preset makers for their UAFX pedals. Maybe that also happened here. In the case of those pedals, the only way to gain those extra features is to start from one of those presets.
What the f**k?
Brzzzzzzt.

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:21 pm Preset "Gated Me"--I can see when I look at LFO 1 that it is the square wave modulator for the gate sound (changing rate confirms), but I cannot see where it indicates what LFO 1 is assigned to. It does not show up in the Matrix. I'll check out the manual at some point--just wondering.
Click the Aux Env label above the sliders. The sliders will disappear and be replaced with the Velocity dial and Gate Source dropdown menu. The source is set to LFO1, and in the mod matrix the Aux Env source is controlling the Amp Level.

elnn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:34 pm
Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:33 pm UA provided extra capabilities to preset makers for their UAFX pedals. Maybe that also happened here. In the case of those pedals, the only way to gain those extra features is to start from one of those presets.
What the f**k?
Anyway, it looks like that wasn’t the case. It kind of makes sense for that limitation to exist in the pedal since the interface is limited.

Vortifex wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:44 pm Click the Aux Env label above the sliders. The sliders will disappear and be replaced with the Velocity dial and Gate Source dropdown menu. The source is set to LFO1, and in the mod matrix the Aux Env source is controlling the Amp Level.
Thanks.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

dubguy99 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:02 pm If you think a sub to UAD might work for you and like analog sounding synths I really recommend giving this a try. Cause it sounds divine. Even just the basic oscillator and filter tone. It's sort of a RePro5 meets Massive X. And it has dual continuously state variable filters, which neither of those have. FM and Sync sounds are some of the best I've heard. Great internal FX including an awesome comb filter. Wavetable part is a little rudimentary compared to others but I can live with that given how good it sounds.
Opal has received glowing testimonials such as yours. I frankly don't get it. Of course, it's not like Opal sounds awful. But it definitely doesn't sound great either. It's just so so, IMO. If the permanent price was $99 and not $199, I might be more inclined to give it a second listen. But it's definitely not worth $199 to me.

IMO, Opal sounds thin and overly digital. And the wavetables are nothing special. Similarly, the "morphing filters" didn't do anything for me.

When UAD had a captive market consisting of owners of the company's hardware DSP products, UAD could charge premium prices for its plugins. But that's not the case anymore. I wonder when UAD is going to wake up to this new reality.

Big Mouth Strikes Again wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:12 pm
dubguy99 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:02 pm If you think a sub to UAD might work for you and like analog sounding synths I really recommend giving this a try. Cause it sounds divine. Even just the basic oscillator and filter tone. It's sort of a RePro5 meets Massive X. And it has dual continuously state variable filters, which neither of those have. FM and Sync sounds are some of the best I've heard. Great internal FX including an awesome comb filter. Wavetable part is a little rudimentary compared to others but I can live with that given how good it sounds.
Opal has received glowing testimonials such as yours. I frankly don't get it. Of course, it's not like Opal sounds awful. But it definitely doesn't sound great either. It's just so so, IMO. If the permanent price was $99 and not $199, I might be more inclined to give it a second listen. But it's definitely not worth $199 to me.

IMO, Opal sounds thin and overly digital. And the wavetables are nothing special. Similarly, the "morphing filters" didn't do anything for me.

When UAD had a captive market consisting of owners of the company's hardware DSP products, UAD could charge premium prices for its plugins. But that's not the case anymore. I wonder when UAD is going to wake up to this new reality.
I agree $199 is too much (as any softsynth these days), but at $99 it's well worth it, imo. And I disagree about the sound, it does sound wonderful (you just don't want to judge it by the factory presets, as they are average at best).

If there’s a hardware or software synth with better and more flexible per voice distortion, I’m unaware of it. Examples, or you’re just trolling.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Minifreak comes to mind.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:36 pm Minifreak comes to mind.
Do you mean the Destroy oscillator mode? Cool wavefolder, but very digital and really more of a low fidelity digital effect. I’d put Massive X’s oscillator effect above it, and Opal’s even further above that. Listen to Opal’s wavefolder and then listen to MiniFreak’s. Opal’s sounds much better and artifact free.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Was referring to the per voice distortion only.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:48 pm Was referring to the per voice distortion only.
I only have the software, and from what I can see, there’s only that oscillator mode that acts as an effect on oscillator 1, and the global effects.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”