Studio One 6.1 is in the pipeline

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 pm Duplicating with D no longer working isn’t my concern. It’s that dragging the edge of a clip window to expose more or less of the underlying audio or MIDI would no longer work as expected that would be my concern.

That would fundamentally change the basic philosophy of what a part is in Studio One.
That's not how that works. In most DAWs there are drag zones on the clip. In Logic for example if you drag from the top of the clip it loops, drag from the bottom it extends etc. Bitwig works the same as well (though the drag zone are different). I would imagine S1 would do the same since they already use click zones for other functions. It's not really going to break or change anything fundamentally in S1. They already have something similar with Patterns. When you drag a pattern out it just loops.

In Studio One pressing D duplicates a clip but doesn't ghost/alias a region so you have to do Shift-D in S1 to get a similar but way clunkier workflow. So pressing D is not equivalent to dragging out a loop since they are not duplicates they are instances/alias/ghost clips when done in Bitwig, Logic, Cubase etc.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Again, that's what patterns are for. The functionality is already there, has been since I started using Studio One.
dellboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:40 amAll these deep and complex requests, and all I want is the simple stuff, like being able to drag out a track for how many bars you need. I just tried to do it and forgot that you have to press "D".
Or you could just learn to use it properly. The functionality you seek is contained within a Pattern. Personally, I think "D" is the best f**king thing in Studio One. It is easily the functionality I use most often and it is a helluva lot easier than fiddling around, dragging boxes out.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My remark about having to press "D" instead of the more usual drag method to add bars was in response to a request for "Hermode Tuning", something I have never heard of, and will never need. It was meant to be taken lightheartedly, not seriously, although I suspect if it was implemented it would be far more popular than "Hermode Tuning". :lol:

If you don’t think you will ever need something like Hermode tuning, that is only because you never write anything with orchestral instruments, which use natural tuning, and not the equal temperament compromise used by sampled instruments and standard MIDI.

But there are quite a lot of real musicians who are composing orchestral music in their DAWs, believe it or not, who would benefit greatly from having their arrangements actually sound authentic with true natural tuning.

However, upon further information about Hermode tuning, I now think it is inadequate, because it appears to only retune 3rds and 5ths to remove the dissonance. The base melodic scale itself still remains in equal temperament, so it is still not entirely authentic to how non-fretted instruments are played.

So instead of licensing Hermode tuning, perhaps PreSonus could implement ArtVista’s new ARPI system directly into Studio One.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

dellboy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 am My remark about having to press "D" instead of the more usual drag method to add bars was in response to a request for "Hermode Tuning", something I have never heard of, and will never need. It was meant to be taken lightheartedly, not seriously, although I suspect if it was implemented it would be far more popular than "Hermode Tuning". :lol:
You're still not paying attention. I told you, that functionality is already in Studio One, in Patterns. It is so widely acclaimed that you didn't even know about it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

jamcat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:16 pm If you don’t think you will ever need something like Hermode tuning, that is only because you never write anything with orchestral instruments,
Many years ago I taught myself how to tune pianos which involved teaching myself to tune "out of tune" using Equal temperament. I play violin, and have belonged to a violin making forum for many years which I visit daily. So, actually, I did understand what you meant about hermode tuning. And for people who compose orchestral stuff that needs total realism I see the need. I seem to remember that you are a Mac user, so why do you not use Logic Pro which has built in Hermode tuning?

BONES wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:23 pm
You're still not paying attention. I told you, that functionality is already in Studio One, in Patterns. It is so widely acclaimed that you didn't even know about it.
I have owned Studio One since 2009 and have just upgraded to version 6 and have to admit that I have never used "patterns", or even know what it is for. I shall have to investigate.

dellboy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:45 am I seem to remember that you are a Mac user, so why do you not use Logic Pro which has built in Hermode tuning?
Because I don't like Logic. I like Studio One.
Besides, If I was going to base which DAW I used solely on support for Hermode tuning, I would use Cubase, which also has supported it for a decade.

But as I said, I think Hermode tuning still uses equal temperament for melodic intervals, so it's still a compromise. So what I can do in Studio One right now is export string parts and use Dynamic Just Tuning in Melodyne Editor, which corrects pitch to orchestral standards. I can break it down even further from there by section, and use it as a guide to match the MIDI microtuning by hand. But that is a lot of work. Just not as much as trying to calculate dynamic pitch offsets myself.

drum / pitch maps still suck. Everything mapped out in BFD opens an octave lower and doesn't play properly. Thought if I set BFD up with -2 keymapping that would do the trick, but no, S1 screws it up even more. I love S1, but that part of it sucks big time.

apoclypse wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:43 am
jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 pm Duplicating with D no longer working isn’t my concern. It’s that dragging the edge of a clip window to expose more or less of the underlying audio or MIDI would no longer work as expected that would be my concern.

That would fundamentally change the basic philosophy of what a part is in Studio One.
That's not how that works. In most DAWs there are drag zones on the clip. In Logic for example if you drag from the top of the clip it loops, drag from the bottom it extends etc. Bitwig works the same as well (though the drag zone are different). I would imagine S1 would do the same since they already use click zones for other functions. It's not really going to break or change anything fundamentally in S1. They already have something similar with Patterns. When you drag a pattern out it just loops.

In Studio One pressing D duplicates a clip but doesn't ghost/alias a region so you have to do Shift-D in S1 to get a similar but way clunkier workflow. So pressing D is not equivalent to dragging out a loop since they are not duplicates they are instances/alias/ghost clips when done in Bitwig, Logic, Cubase etc.
Did you know you can assign your own shortcuts? So just change them around

6.1.1 is out

Is there still no way to reset the blacklist for VST3 plugins or force a complete rescan of all plugins?

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:25 pm Is there still no way to reset the blacklist for VST3 plugins or force a complete rescan of all plugins?
For me it always worked on the VSTplugins tab... just click "Reset Blacklist" change the chosen VST location and then set it back... hit Apply and it scans all missing plugins and blacklisted once again without restart...

Always worked for me this way...

Perhaps it even works without changing the VST folder... didn´t try...

It doesn't seem to reset VST3 plugins though and the folders only show VST2 locations anyway (VST3 is in a default location on Mac so S1 doesn't need telling where to find it, same with AU)

Plug-In Manager > Remove Plug-In Settings

What this poorly named function actually does is it forces a rescan of all plugins and rebuilds your plugin list.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”