I want to get MS-20, which has the most energetic sound?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think with the MS-20 you really want the physical interface. It's just such an expressive instrument, controlling it with MIDI or the mouse just doesn't do it justice tbh. I used the Arturia emulation for a while and the sound is quite good, but buying the mini was completely worth it. It just sounds more raw and unruly. You really have to tame it, especially when you do a lot of feedback routing. You get the little subtleties when you push it to its limit, the software doesn't capture a lot of that stuff. But the biggest part you're paying for is the physical interface in my opinion. Given how cheap you can get the mini (around $350 used), I think it's a nobrainer.
Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:46 am Keep this running while you're spacing out and save the best bits:

https://www.birdsthings.com/
This is basically what I do. I have an instance of MRecorder (it's free) on my master channel. Set up some sequences, send the MS-20 to some tape delay and reverb and you're in heaven for a few hours.

i can say that the K2 is a decent functional analog synthesizer. i've had an MS10, not an MS20, and the K2 is pretty good, not really bothered about finite sonic distinctions personally, it does some ripping sounds, good enough for me. only proviso is the lack of modwheel connection. (does some mental hoovers and bandpass stuff)

I was surfing around to find some decent MS20V demos. Most of them don't really test out the filter that well, which was what made me suspicious about the tameness of the Arturia one. Found this one - he usually does pretty comprehensive demos, and a few where he just plays but tweaks.

https://youtu.be/Wgc93NpkvEI

He plays around with high peak on the filters and I have to say it is just weak. Really not even close. Having said that, I think it's got the actual flavour of an MS20, and because it's a plugin you can use it for chords etc, which makes it a good softsynth. I wouldn't buy it for the MS20 dirt and aggression but it definitely has its uses. Alongside the sequencer and the other extras like sync etc - I might consider it. Definitely better than Korg's old sw MS20. It's good enough to sound like an MS20 at low filter res. But a screamer...it isn't. :(

killmaster wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:33 pm Another option that has come up is the Cherry Audio emulation. I saw a very favorable video comparison here:

I'd be so curious what you think of it. It's only $29. Ideally, I'd love to get the real thing, but it would be awhile before I could afford to do so.

Thanks so much!
To me that sounds very soft synth, and not really close to the hardware one he tested against.

From my very brief experience the Cherry stuff will start to break when the modulations are becoming extreme (i.e. Filter FM etc.). The first impression is quite good but once you put in under stress it's not quite the same.

I own all 5 and the Cherry Audio - and grew up with the Korg MS series. On the other hand, my ears aren´t the best anymore... age and industrial music and all, so take this with a grain of salt:

1) Arturia Korg MS-20 V

As close as software can get, imho. The filter screeches quite a bit when being driven right, hp with resonance does boomy basses. It lacks unpredictability though, it does exactly what you want it to, nothing more, nothing less.

2) Korg MS-20 Mini

My personal favorite, best with a bit of feedback (headphones out to signal in). Hitting the right balance of oscillator levels and resonance, this can go wild. To the connaisseur, there´s probably plenty of difference to a vintage ms20, at least in the mix I find these 2 indistinguishable.

3) Behringer K-2

The well-behaved sibling. Sounds like an MS 20 with just slightly rounded-off edges. If you´re not largely after loud and wild resonant sounds all the time, this may be the best choice price/performance/space-wise.

4) Korg Collection MS-20

Not even close.

5) U-he Diva (I understand the filters are superb!)

I like Diva a lot, but wouldn´t buy it for doing MS 20 sounds. The JP8000 oscillator and the OB filter are great, I treat the MS filter as a bonus, and it´s very nice as such, but doesn´t sound like the Arturia´s.

6) Cherry Audio

See number 4.

epiphaneia wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 pm I own all 5 and the Cherry Audio - and grew up with the Korg MS series. On the other hand, my ears aren´t the best anymore... age and industrial music and all, so take this with a grain of salt:

1) Arturia Korg MS-20 V

As close as software can get, imho. The filter screeches quite a bit when being driven right, hp with resonance does boomy basses. It lacks unpredictability though, it does exactly what you want it to, nothing more, nothing less.

2) Korg MS-20 Mini

My personal favorite, best with a bit of feedback (headphones out to signal in). Hitting the right balance of oscillator levels and resonance, this can go wild. To the connaisseur, there´s probably plenty of difference to a vintage ms20, at least in the mix I find these 2 indistinguishable.

3) Behringer K-2

The well-behaved sibling. Sounds like an MS 20 with just slightly rounded-off edges. If you´re not largely after loud and wild resonant sounds all the time, this may be the best choice price/performance/space-wise.

4) Korg Collection MS-20

Not even close.

5) U-he Diva (I understand the filters are superb!)

I like Diva a lot, but wouldn´t buy it for doing MS 20 sounds. The JP8000 oscillator and the OB filter are great, I treat the MS filter as a bonus, and it´s very nice as such, but doesn´t sound like the Arturia´s.

6) Cherry Audio

See number 4.
Wow, in one post, everything I was wanting to know! Kinda sums up the impressions I've been accumulating. Except I'm assuming the original MS-20 would fall into #2? If I do get a hardware version, I'll definitely look at the Mini now based on this. Much appreciated!

nm

killmaster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:39 am I'll definitely look at the Mini now based on this.
The Mini is definitely fun and it is the real thing.

The unit is not build all that well though as Korg went for the magic 500 euro border to attract enough customers. The output is somewhat noisy and the keyboard is as basic as it gets.
But i will be using my grandmother s keyboard within a eurorack combo anyway.

The patchbay is pretty awesome and the external sound processor is a special addition.

The SQ-1 sequencer is a very fine companion for the MS-20 Mini (it is well build, plenty of options and only 100 bucks!). The SQ-1 works with eurorack too by the way. (The Korg s have a different implementation on pitch and triggers than eurorack but the SQ-1 can handle them all)

I'd love the SQ-1 so much more if it had a reset input.

Note that you can use a more standard V/Oct sequencer with the MS-20, using the top-left "Total In" jack and getting the corresponding knob just right. It's fiddly but I find it good enough for maybe two octaves, and a bonus you get filter tracking as well.

Also the Mini looks totally badass, as long as you dust it regularly or use a cover. That's important.

dumbledog wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:15 pm Note that you can use a more standard V/Oct sequencer with the MS-20, using the top-left "Total In" jack and getting the corresponding knob just right. It's fiddly but I find it good enough for maybe two octaves, and a bonus you get filter tracking as well.
Thank you. 8)
I believe that the knob should be set around 9?
The external signal processor should be able to convert triggers?

(My case just arrived so I still need to setup my modular).

It's been a while since i've done it but that might be right. IIRC the low C on the MS20's keyboard is internally 0 volts, so make sure you press it to zero out the internal voltage before turning or things can get frustrating.

And lol I forgot about the triggers but I think you're right.

I just noticed I can get the K-2 at Sweetwater for $199 now with Behringer's price drops. Not saying I'll get it, but it's a bit more tempting, though I do like the "loud and wild resonant sounds"

@killmaster. It is an interesting offer off course at 200 bucks. Depends on what you want.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”