Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

Jac459 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:36 pm
By the way, the introduction song that was on the trailer that I think you did was nuts, I really loved it.
Thanks!

Well it is worth reminding that the first 27 seconds of that intro trailer is a single preset (including "the drop"). One single track, all FF Twin 3.

Not sure what more I could do to show how powerful the synth is? :hihi:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:23 pm I'm planning on adding a bunch of new presets for the upcoming major updates
Can you say what may be in this or when it may be out (I am still on the 30 day demo)

As for pre-sets, I person found the 'best of Twin2' pre-sets pretty good and perhaps they had more 'movement'...but I have to say (as other have) some of the new pre-sets are a slow burn...I have been going back to them; you have to tweak the macros a bit to really see what they are all about...I may have judged to hastily.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

At least my own presets are extremely carefully curated in the sense that each macro control is carefully assigned to proper ranges. I also have modwheel and aftertouch support for every single preset and very carefully tweaked keyboard tracking so that most of them play nice over the _full_ range of the keyboard.. not just a "sweetspot" in a singular place. This means that basses can become leads and leads can become basses. Pads can also become leads if you simply tweak the attack/release envelopes etc. Velocity sensitivity is also used on almost all presets, sometimes subtly sometimes drastically. The presets that have huge changes in sound through velocity are tagged as "Expressive" in the preset browser.

I was going by the old ethos of designing presets, ala Roland/Yamaha/Korg etc where everything is made as "safe" as possible in terms of just hitting a few keys and being able to play while at the same time having the power to sometimes drastically (and sometimes subtly) change the sound, tweaking the macro controls. Unfortunately very few people seem to realize this (going by youtube videos where 90% of people don't tweak any modwheel/aftertouch at all and never tweak the green macro controls). I also see people setting some basic 8 note simple note pattern and scroll through presets... which is obviously not how I designed the presets as I have more than 30 years of keyboard playing experience under my belt. :)

SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm
bmanic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:23 pm I'm planning on adding a bunch of new presets for the upcoming major updates
Can you say what may be in this or when it may be out (I am still on the 30 day demo)
I have no idea. I'm waiting for FabFilter to keep me updated on the progress but so far I haven't heard anything. I suspect they are hard at work trying to solve the MPE question.

I myself am trying to get hold of the Osmos keyboard so that I finally have an MPE capable controller.. otherwise it's going to be a pain assigning MPE parameters to presets (can be done via external sliders and expression pedals but it's NOT the same thing because you loose the interactivity and creativity of actually playing an MPE controller).

bmanic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm
I have no idea. I'm waiting for FabFilter to keep me updated on the progress but so far I haven't heard anything. I suspect they are hard at work trying to solve the MPE question.

I myself am trying to get hold of the Osmos keyboard so that I finally have an MPE capable controller.. otherwise it's going to be a pain assigning MPE parameters to presets (can be done via external sliders and expression pedals but it's NOT the same thing because you loose the interactivity and creativity of actually playing an MPE controller).
I have an Osmose, I highly recommend it!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Here is a little sound where I demonstrate how you can get around the problem of not being able to modulate the LFO rate when it's synced:

LFO Sync rate modulation (Google Drive 8.4mb mp3)

The trick is to use the LFO phase offset modulation, basically "scanning" through the waveform with another synced LFO that you want to use for the division, then basically modulating the amount of it with anything else (perhaps yet again another synced LFO? :) ).

This way you can create some lovely chaos (ping pong balls on a table kind of stuff) that still feels completely in sync at all times, even if you go super chaotic. Even better, it's extremely robust it seems.. the DAW/Timeless3 never drifts out of sync or feels sloppy (unlike Twin 2 which had some issues in this area).

If anybody wants to play with the preset you hear in the mp3 above, you can download it here:

Divided we Stand.ffp.zip

bmanic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:57 pm Here is a little sound where I demonstrate how you can get around the problem of not being able to modulate the LFO rate when it's synced:

LFO Sync rate modulation (Google Drive 8.4mb mp3)

The trick is to use the LFO phase offset modulation, basically "scanning" through the waveform with another synced LFO that you want to use for the division, then basically modulating the amount of it with anything else (perhaps yet again another synced LFO? :) ).

This way you can create some lovely chaos (ping pong balls on a table kind of stuff) that still feels completely in sync at all times, even if you go super chaotic. Even better, it's extremely robust it seems.. the DAW/Timeless3 never drifts out of sync or feels sloppy (unlike Twin 2 which had some issues in this area).

If anybody wants to play with the preset you hear in the mp3 above, you can download it here:

Divided we Stand.ffp.zip
great tip. sounds fantastic. :tu:

bmanic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:23 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:24 pm I thi8nk the synths is initially underwhelming as the new pre-sets are underwhelming...a lot of people will just flick though the pre-sets...they probably need to add a few more that really show of what can be done, these are very good (from the free demo pack at least) https://newloops.com/products/twin-pro- ... -3-presets
I'm planning on adding a bunch of new presets for the upcoming major updates so any examples of "good" presets would be very welcome. I've got both positive and negative feedback on the current crop, which was expected. What do you think would "show what it is capable of" in the form of single presets?

Personally I tried to make a few that can completely morph from one sound to another using the green macro controls but perhaps people are looking for "one note wonder" type of things? Personally I hate those kinds of presets as they can't really be used within a mix easily.
For me, what constitutes as a good preset is most definitely NOT a modulated "one note wonder" type of patch, or sequence/arpeggiated patch. If I want such effects on a sound, I will add them myself.

Presumably, most of us and those who use such synths are 'musicians' first, even moreso than sound designers. Therefore, what I regard as good presets are a nice-sounding and most importantly "usuable" presets, that can be incorporated with relative ease into a wide array of projects and genres.

So in my opinion, that favours presets more of 'instruments' rather than the 'sound effect' variety. And those lending themselves to a wide array of soundscapes, rather than tailored to very narrow, specific genres.

To that end, I actually find that Twin 1 / Twin 2 had a great collection of sounds. And the great part is, those presets also work with Twin 3. So, I recommend anyone who owns the latter, also installs the factory presets of the former (via the legacy or preset installers on the Fabfilter website).

Although, I guess it would be great if many of those Twin 2 classic presets were simply refreshed/updated and installed as standard with Twin 3 factory presets instead, for simple accessibility and searching (by having meta-tagging for these included by default, etc.)

Note: By "many of the Twin 2 presets", I mean 'many more' should be included than at present. The current "best of Twin 2" only scratches the surface. There were many, many more great Twin 2 presets that have not been included in the current Twin 3 factory presets, that probably should have been, imho.

MrJubbly wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 am To that end, I actually find that Twin 1 / Twin 2 had a great collection of sounds. And the great part is, those presets also work with Twin 3. So, I recommend anyone who owns the latter, also installs the factory presets of the former (via the legacy or preset installers on the Fabfilter website).

Although, I guess it would be great if many of those Twin 2 classic presets were simply refreshed/updated and installed as standard with Twin 3 factory presets instead, for simple accessibility and searching (by having meta-tagging for these included by default, etc.)

Note: By "many of the Twin 2 presets", I mean 'many more' should be included than at present. The current "best of Twin 2" only scratches the surface. There were many, many more great Twin 2 presets that have not been included in the current Twin 3 factory presets, that probably should have been, imho.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about these installers.

For the presets I think it should be a bit more mixed. What you say is true, but ideally, there should be a few very complex patches for sound designer to play with and reverse engineer.

Yeah we tried to make a list of favorite Twin2 presets but got very little feedback on it in the beta forum. If you have any favorites that you want updated then just let me know and I'll include them when there is an update to the plugin.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:03 am For the presets I think it should be a bit more mixed. What you say is true, but ideally, there should be a few very complex patches for sound designer to play with and reverse engineer.
.. but the question arises, what is a "complex" preset? In the synth folder you have the 'Cycles' preset which uses up all 100 modulation connections.. for instance.

.. or you could try to reverse engineer the bGrand preset that tries to emulate a piano. It too is rather complex (mainly keyboard tracking and velocity + how the envelopes work).

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:05 am
.. but the question arises, what is a "complex" preset? In the synth folder you have the 'Cycles' preset which uses up all 100 modulation connections.. for instance.

.. or you could try to reverse engineer the bGrand preset that tries to emulate a piano. It too is rather complex (mainly keyboard tracking and velocity + how the envelopes work).
Yeah agreed. Well actually I am part of the people who liked your presets very much (and I do have a ton of modern synths).

So I am not saying that because you didn't have it before. But if you are adding, that is what I want more.
Twin 3 is a very very good synth to start sound design so I think more of those makes sense.

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:04 am Yeah we tried to make a list of favorite Twin2 presets but got very little feedback on it in the beta forum. If you have any favorites that you want updated then just let me know and I'll include them when there is an update to the plugin.
I suspect the reason there may have not much feedback regarding making a list of favourite Twin 2 presets, could have been that it almost then becomes an exercise in deciding which Twin 2 presets should we not include? Which is also a difficult choice, since I, for one, like and have used practically all of them previously. So I too might have struggled in only nominating a list of favourites. And of course, those that were included in the "Best of Twin 2" are great, but that leaves a lot of other very solid and usable presets out.

I feel like I've probably used most of the Twin 2 presets in various projects over the years. So, I get people's reticence in selecting only the stand out favourites. Since, once the others are not included, you still miss them, as the whole Twin 2 preset collection really covered a broad spectrum for many different genres.

Perhaps, if all of the previous presets cannot logistically be refreshed/updated and included with Twin 3 as standard, then the backwards compatibility and freely availability of these previous presets could be made more obvious/prominent on the Fabfilter website (or hinted at within the plugin itself?) for any new Twin 3 customers, who may be unaware of this great existing resource of presets?

I can't see a link to TWIN2 pre-sets, do you have to download TWIN 2 and get them that way?

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:25 am I can't see a link to TWIN2 pre-sets, do you have to download TWIN 2 and get them that way?
There is a link for 'All Factory Presets' on Fabfilter's Support page.

Scroll to near the bottom of the page, then click the link to download 'just' the presets for every Fabfilter plugin.

Then just extract the Twin and Twin 2 preset folders from the downloaded zip archive into your usual ..\Documents\Fabfilter\ user folder.

The next time you run Twin 3, these should show up in the preset menu.

Return to “Instruments”