Do you use Reason as a vst ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just curious to know if some of you are using Reason as a vst in another DAW.

For what reason ? Sound design ? To use their sound bank ? There is an Fx or an instrument that you absolutely need ?

Are most reason's users use it as a vst or some of you use it stand alone ?

Is it CPU intensive as a vst ?

And... can we use third party vst inside reason while it is used itself as a vst inside a DAW ?

As Reason 12 is 40% off right now I'm thinking about it...

Thanx

Jolaff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:11 pm I'm just curious to know if some of you are using Reason as a vst in another DAW.
Yep... just like that... I hate the internal DAW part...it never gelled with me
For what reason ? Sound design ? To use their sound bank ? There is an Fx or an instrument that you absolutely need ?
First and formost: their Player devices... I find them the best on the market...
But as well for FX, internal synths and sounds...
Are most reason's users use it as a vst or some of you use it stand alone ?
I cannot speak for others... there will be a lot still using Reason as Standalone but there are for sure many too using the Rack plugin version in other DAWs...
Is it CPU intensive as a vst ?
Not at all... it´s very light on resources in general... the loading time is a bit long for my taste but it´s running very lightweight and efficient...
And... can we use third party vst inside reason while it is used itself as a vst inside a DAW ?
Nope... just Reason native devices + RE´s
Thanx
You´re welcome... 8)

Thanx for the answer... this is crazy how their website is a funnel to the subscription model... and once you get to Reason+ section it's almost impossible to come back to the section where you can buy it... this is scary...

Last edited by lotus2035 on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolaff wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:06 am Thanx for the answer... this is crazy how their website is a funnel to the subscription model... and once you get to Reason+ section it's almost impossible to come back to the section where you can buy it... this is scary...
Yes, they are pushing the subscription ...as do all others who offer a subscription model...

In Reason´s case I actually use the subscription... it´s regulary on sale i.e. at plugin boutique and for around a 100,-$ a year I find it a steal for what it offers...

I use it exclusively as vst with live. I have a load of rack extensions and use them a lot. Prefer using live than reason as a daw and when they killed rewire this was a way I am happy to use my RE'S. Players are a lot of fun routed to vsts.

Some of their fx are really good and cannot think of a track I have made ever that does not contain at least some rs products.

Reason 12 as VST (ie the Reason Rack Plugin or RRP) in Ableton Live 11 controlled by Push 2. It's pretty much my entire setup now. Reason devices, effects and players combined with Live Suite effects plus Push 2 is an amazing combo. I use Reason in standalone (ie the Reason DAW) sometimes as well but as a DAW it cannot get anywhere near the usability of Live IMO.

I use as a VST inside Cubase.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I use it as a VST in Reaper. Mostly if I need something crazy that I can’t get from anything else. I don’t use it much but when I do, Im glad I bought it!

Scream 4: dope distortion
NNXT: exclusive for SF2s (yup I still use em)
Players: fantastic
CPU: how low can you go?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Less and less, a shame Props gave it a long, and still dying death. I ditched the DAW years back, and did have the Rack in many of my cubase songs while I was learning Cubase, however I barely open Reason anymore.

Reason is good value for a one time purchase if you never bought it before -- lots of crap to check out. Terrible for upgrades and/or sub.
Have you tried Vital?

I stopped upgrading Reason at version 7 (after 13 years) where I then used it as a DAW with many Rack Extensions. The free rack VST version I have is tiny, and I don't use the limited Reason 11 DAW it's provided with. Studio One Professional is my primary DAW, and the VSTs I have now, make Reason almost entirely redundant so making it look like a little toy-like system of old. Still on version 4.6 of Studio One but, my priorities are not so much on creating music these days but more so on programming and graphic design development. With VSTs such as Dune 3, Parawaves Rapid, Hive 2 and many instruments from the Reaktor library, I have pretty much all my bases covered.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I have about all famous VSTs on the market and I am still going extremely often to reason.

What I use a lot:
Friktion: you have to buy it on top but it is the best physical modeling synth on the market, period. The emulation of violin, guitar or flute are from another world
Grain: a crazy good granular synth with a spectral flavour. Just excellent. Same, I have novum but yet I feel grain is more powerful.
Europa: awesome wavetable synth with spectral, less good than serum on bass, better for plucks and pads, included.
Thor: semi modular, included.
Kong: one of the best beat machine of the market, on par with uvi drum designer and Rob papen one (I cant rember the name). Included.
Then in FX you have a ton which are just awesome. The synchronous itself is similar to movement from output and is a killer. Alligator also, They have an excellent convolution reverb too, all free.
As was said earlier the players are awesome.

Then you have rack extensions: some rack extension are truly awesome, I mentionned friktion but there is also antidote from the creators of Dune 3, Exhale, a crazy good wave table synth and tons of others. They have a tendancy to be cheaper than VSTs.
And some can be cross sold on both format like synapse and Rob papen symths.

Finally there is the fact that it is a rack, so it is basically modular to the max, with modules being symths thanks to the combinator concept.

My conclusion is simple, crazy value for money.

I forgot to mention Dr OctoRex, a loop engile, it is a bit similar to some features of bitwig drum machine, just better and with a lot of presets available and awesome.

Using Reason as an FX tool is much better than using the DAW. I use Reason VST frequently if not always. But I don't use the DAW that much ever since they introduce the plugin. Until they bring m1 native support it is kind of hit and miss. If you know Reason instruments has a builtin FX i.e kong and you can isolate and use the FX because of that I use the VST version in a mix more often if not in every mix. It is a very good FX box thing to have in your disposal.

Studio Saturn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:41 am Using Reason as an FX tool is much better than using the DAW. I use Reason VST frequently if not always. But I don't use the DAW that much ever since they introduce the plugin. Until they bring m1 native support it is kind of hit and miss. If you know Reason instruments has a builtin FX i.e kong and you can isolate and use the FX because of that I use the VST version in a mix more often if not in every mix. It is a very good FX box thing to have in your disposal.
I dont feel the m1 compatibility being very much an issue as rosetta is working extremely well with reason.
Yet I agree on the DAW, somehow for me bitwig is on another league (but it is also a question of taste). As an fx or instrument, it is awesome (Kong is an instrument by the way, not an fx afaik).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”