SOFTUBE Bus Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FakeNatty wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:39 am This plugin will go on sale for lower than $89, right?
If we wait long enough, I’m sure it will. Softube has been offering one sale to the next the last couple of years. They do take a while to put a sale price on the newer items after the initial release sale, but I’ve seen the time on that getting shorter recently as well. If we’re happy with what we are currently using then it’s easier to wait, if you demo this and find it amazing then you may develop GAS. I’ll wait to demo until there’s a better sale price, although I’ve been waiting for something like this from Softube and couldn’t understand why they didn’t have it already a few years ago.

For those wondering about the Bus processor integration with Console 1, here's what the user manual indicates:
"You can use the compressor of Bus Processor in the compressor section of Console 1 as well as the saturator in the output drive section. The saturator is configured with both Tone and Harmonic Enhance engaged and the Console 1 character knob lets you control the saturation tone parameter."

Interesting plugin even if I don't really know if I need it. I often can't decide between Iron, bx_townhouse, Elysia, the Glue etc. :lol:
Is there one or more points where the Compressor really stands out?

Compared it to the bx_townhouse...
At first it seemed to me that the Softube was a bit louder. Then I did a test in MetricAB with the matching function and there was only a difference of -0.3 dB :o So maybe it's the nature of the added harmonic overtones that make it seem a bit louder/open.

Here are the audio examples I tested it with (it's a song I'm working on) and both uncompressed as WAV. The distortion or other stereo effects from the compressor are deactivated, I only wanted to test the compressor.
The Softube sounds a bit more open and a bit louder to me.
Maybe I'll change my mind... but at the moment I would say: Super compressor with interesting features, but also nothing that I don't already have.

Ines Little Ark - Softube
Ines Little Ark - Townhouse
Ines Little Ark - SPL Iron (MS)
Last edited by 4damind on Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4damind wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm but at the moment I would say: Super compressor with interesting features, but also nothing that I don't already have.
past a certain point, I feel the same about every plugin :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Hehe, yes, the big steps haven't really existed for years. A lot of things today can only be sold through a low price and not because users fall off their chairs with enthusiasm and buy instantly.
The compressor currently costs 89€, which is actually a good price. The normal price is 150€ and that makes it more difficult to decide (especially if you already have some similar plug-ins).

4damind wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm The Softube sounds a bit more open and a bit louder to me.
bx_townhouse is congested/closed up sounding, IMO. Can work well for drum bus, I personally avoid on master bus.

I'm always amazed at how often I still prefer The Glue when I do shoot-outs despite it being the same age as my teenage nephew. It's not adding a ton of saturation and color, but that may be a positive in many instances, and the compression response is excellent. I haven't even tried the new Softube version yet. It's getting hard to be excited about things like the 50th version of an SSL Bus Comp. Probably won't even demo.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:24 pm
4damind wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm The Softube sounds a bit more open and a bit louder to me.
bx_townhouse is congested/closed up sounding, IMO. Can work well for drum bus, I personally avoid on master bus.
Maybe the SPL Iron is closer to the Softube?

4damind wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:07 pm Maybe the SPL Iron is closer to the Softube?
Dunno! I'll try it against the UA, which sounds pretty much identical to the Stam I had.

Does the plugin has scalable UI? Other softube plugins I tried are tiny af and unusable on 4k screen with no UI scale option. (Tape and Weiss EQ)

Fornicras wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:58 pm Does the plugin has scalable UI? Other softube plugins I tried are tiny af and unusable on 4k screen with no UI scale option. (Tape and Weiss EQ)
I don't have the Weiss but all the Softube plugins I have are fully scalable including Tape (just drag right hand bottom corner)

Looking at this image of the Weiss it looks like it is also scalable the same way

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:02 pm
Fornicras wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:58 pm Does the plugin has scalable UI? Other softube plugins I tried are tiny af and unusable on 4k screen with no UI scale option. (Tape and Weiss EQ)
I don't have the Weiss but all the Softube plugins I have are fully scalable including Tape (just drag right hand bottom corner)

Looking at this image of the Weiss it looks like it is also scalable the same way
Oh sorry, yeah, Weiss has scaled UI but it looks so bad and blurry. Tape doesn't have any of that though.

Yeah it does on my system - maybe you are running an older version? None of them look blurry scaled on my Apple Studio Display

I'm wondering that SSL type compression is described as a "glue". In my opinion, it has the less "glueing" effect than some other analog counterparts.. Sounds like more of a marketing bs.

Return to “Effects”