Studio One 6.1 is in the pipeline

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

darrensensei wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:50 pmdrum / pitch maps still suck. Everything mapped out in BFD opens an octave lower and doesn't play properly. Thought if I set BFD up with -2 keymapping that would do the trick, but no, S1 screws it up even more. I love S1, but that part of it sucks big time.
What do you mean? In my experience with Battery, half-a-dozen Ujam drum instruments and Impact XT is complete consistency.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

IN case anyone is interested, I just got notification of a new update to 6.1, which is installing as I type this.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hi Bones, to be honest I haven’t tried with Battery, as I use BFD3 for drums. I mapped out a keymap in BFD3 that would work with EZDrummer midi files and General Midi. When you open the BFD3 plugin in S1, the kickdrum mapped at C0 in BFD opens on C1 in S1, which means transposing the whole midi loop is necessary. BFD3 can have its keymap set with a C-1 or C-2 start point, so I thought if I lowered the keymap setting in BFD down to -2, then the notes would match, but what actually happens is S1 still opens them in a different octave, so the C1 kick then becomes C2 in Studio 1. Apparently other DAWs like Cubase do not have this issue, but I can’t verify that. As I said, I really love S1 but I also love BFD and constantly having to transpose midi parts and fiddle with them slows me down. I don’t know if there is a way to make a preset in S1 that fixes it is possible or not.

Transposing MIDI is easy - CTRL+A to select all the notes, then SHIFT+Up Arrow to move it up one octave. It happens with all sorts of instruments, software and hardware, regardless of which host you use.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:39 pm It doesn't seem to reset VST3 plugins though and the folders only show VST2 locations anyway (VST3 is in a default location on Mac so S1 doesn't need telling where to find it, same with AU)
It does it for me...

I lately had to install it freshly and always at the first start, S1 blacklists either SynthMaster 2 or SM One ... both vst3...
When I do what I wrote, it scans the blacklisted again and accepts them... so for me it definetely works for vst3 too...

Studio One 6 is interesting, but it's lacking in the way of fun stuff, like new instruments and surround sound like features. Lacks updates to reconfigure the GUI in any significant way, lacks tabbing of GUI windows, the browser still locked to GUI and can't be moved to the bottom / top /opposite side or set in the middle undocked. Lacks GUI font scaling. Lacks multiple video lanes. I can hold out for a while before upgrading until these things are implemented.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Finally upgraded to Studio One 6 and I'm not liking the interface changes. The icons are not my vibe at all. They look toy-ish imo compared to the fairly clean version 5. I'll get used to it I guess. Stability hasn't changed much. Crashed ten minutes in during a session so not exactly a good start. If the upgrade weren't just a little over a $100 I probably would have skipped this one altogether.

I'm also noticing some issues with one of my projects where the timing is all over the place. Open the same project in version 5 and it's dead on. Not sure what's happening there and I don't have to time to troubleshoot it right now.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I much prefer the stylized silhouette icons in Studio One 6 to the cartoon emojis found in Logic/GarageBand and Cakewalk.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:14 pm Studio One 6 is interesting, but it's lacking in the way of fun stuff, like new instruments and surround sound like features. Lacks updates to reconfigure the GUI in any significant way, lacks tabbing of GUI windows, the browser still locked to GUI and can't be moved to the bottom / top /opposite side or set in the middle undocked. Lacks GUI font scaling. Lacks multiple video lanes. I can hold out for a while before upgrading until these things are implemented.
Hopefully none of those things will ever be implemented and progress can be made in other, more important but less fun, directions. I'd like to see improvements in CPU usage, for example, something every single user will benefit from. Braodening the plug-in nap feature to work with instruments as well as effects would be a good start. Better handling of VST 3 plugins would also be welcome.
apoclypse wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:17 pm Finally upgraded to Studio One 6 and I'm not liking the interface changes. The icons are not my vibe at all.
What? The interface looks exactly the same as v5 to me. I honestly can't tell v5 from v6 unless I make an effort to customise the GUI in v6. ( I have v5 installed on my laptop and v6 on my 2-in-1.)
'll get used to it I guess. Stability hasn't changed much. Crashed ten minutes in during a session so not exactly a good start.
Really? Other than when closing a song, I honestly couldn't tell you the last time Studio One crashed on me. It's likely been more than a year and I can mostly stop it crashing on song close by saving the song in v6. When I started using it, it was more stable/reliable than Cubase v10 and since then it has got better and better in that regard.
Not sure what's happening there and I don't have to time to troubleshoot it right now.
Try saving it in v6 and see if that helps.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:50 pm What? The interface looks exactly the same as v5 to me. I honestly can't tell v5 from v6 unless I make an effort to customise the GUI in v6. ( I have v5 installed on my laptop and v6 on my 2-in-1.)
If you have the two side by side there is very drastic difference imo. More rounded corners, less flat look. There are more icons littered about that in v5 where they relied more on text. More space is wasted imo on with padding all over the place. Text and font are smaller from what I can tell which for my aging eyesight is not a good thing.

As for stability I have a project that now crashes like clockwork in the mid section during playback. So damn annoying, works perfectly in v5. So I'll stick with that for now.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:35 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:50 pm What? The interface looks exactly the same as v5 to me. I honestly can't tell v5 from v6 unless I make an effort to customise the GUI in v6. ( I have v5 installed on my laptop and v6 on my 2-in-1.)
If you have the two side by side there is very drastic difference imo. More rounded corners, less flat look. There are more icons littered about that in v5 where they relied more on text. More space is wasted imo on with padding all over the place. Text and font are smaller from what I can tell which for my aging eyesight is not a good thing.

As for stability I have a project that now crashes like clockwork in the mid section during playback. So damn annoying, works perfectly in v5. So I'll stick with that for now.
It would be useful, and good to see the UI differences between them in a side-by-side screenshot. Many people didn't upgrade to version 5.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I like the UI customization in 6.1.

Finally able to hide the PreSonus Store in the browser and all of the buttons and counters and controls that I’ve never used.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Geist 1 and 2 seem to crash in Studio One 6 which sucks as I do love the Geists, although if I work on tracks from S1-5 w/ Geist they seem less crash prone.

Haven't got the 6.1 yet, might give it a shot to see if Geist is less ditzy in the 6.1 vs. 6.0.

Thankfully though it's only when I close the project that the crash happens so I save often before hand.

That aside, very satisfied w/ Studio One 6. I'm getting to the point where there's not a ton more I really need. Improved cpu tweaking, yes. Improved automation and automation options, sure I'd take that. If I ever feel the need for total control over every single imaginable tiny little thing, I'll learn Reaper.

apoclypse wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:35 pmIf you have the two side by side there is very drastic difference imo.
So you could tell me straight away whether this is the v5 toolbar or v6, then? Because, I gotta tell you, I can't pick which it is.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 101740.png
Have you saved it as a v6 project? In the three or so years I've been using Studio One full-time, anything from 3 to 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have never experienced a crash during playback, unless I've done something stupid to cause it. e.g. I know it doesn't like me D'n'Ding a new instrument into a new track while it's playing so I try not to do that. It doesn't crash every time I forget and do it, but it has crashed it a couple of times in the past. I couldn't use it if it ever just crashed because it was playing. We need it to be 100% reliable on stage, that kind of behaviour would be an instant deal-breaker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BONES wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:28 am
apoclypse wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:35 pmIf you have the two side by side there is very drastic difference imo.
So you could tell me straight away whether this is the v5 toolbar or v6, then? Because, I gotta tell you, I can't pick which it is.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 101740.png
Have you saved it as a v6 project? In the three or so years I've been using Studio One full-time, anything from 3 to 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have never experienced a crash during playback, unless I've done something stupid to cause it. e.g. I know it doesn't like me D'n'Ding a new instrument into a new track while it's playing so I try not to do that. It doesn't crash every time I forget and do it, but it has crashed it a couple of times in the past. I couldn't use it if it ever just crashed because it was playing. We need it to be 100% reliable on stage, that kind of behaviour would be an instant deal-breaker.
That's 6. You can tell because in 5 it looks like this.
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 8.31.23 PM.png
As for the rest yes. I have saved the project as version 6, makes no difference. I just opened the same project in version 5 and it's stable. Dragging and dropping an instrument into the project while playback is happening shouldn't crash the app either. My projects are not CPU heavy especially since I got my new machine so that's not the issue. I haven't had the time to transfer all of my plugins to VST3 or AU yet so I can stop running in Rosetta mode (I'm on an M1 MBP) so that may be what's happening there. Will do some testing when I have time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”