Mac Mini system for computer music making - Advice needed please.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My i7 iMac from about 8 years ago is dying a slow death and I need to find a solution. I was thinking of picking up a new Mac Mini M2.

I use a ton of plugins at once. Sometimes 15 or more running at the same time
I use Bitwig almost explusively
I only use the computer for music. No games or high end graphics

Would love recommendations for these questions please:

1) Can I get by with the $600 base model?
2) 8 gigs RAM sufficient or do I need 16 gigs?
3) What good value display? I only use 1 display and am not obsessed with super high resolution
4) I do use a ton of USB ports. Right now I need 10 powered ports. I have 2 powered Anker hubs plugged into my iMac. Will the base Mac Mini allow me to plug in the Anker hubs I already own?
Will I need to get thunderbolt hubs or can I use USB hubs?

If I could spend around $1K total, I'd be happy. I could go up to $1,500 if really neccesary.

Thanks for any advice!

Greg
Last edited by killmaster on Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

15 plugins is not a ton. But which are your favs?
Some need cpu power (analog sims) and others memory (sample libs)

For future profing I'd get 16gb ram. Never seen newer OS/software wanting less than the prev version.

Regarding usb hubs: these should be fine. But what is connected? Midi gear hardly needs bandwidth, but a 16-ch audio interface needs more, and external harddisks with sample libs also.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

killmaster wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 pm 1) Can I get by with the $600 base model?
2) 8 gigs RAM sufficient or do I need 16 gigs?
3) What good value display? I only use 1 display and am not obsessed with super high resolution
3) I do use a ton of USB ports. Right now I need 10 powered ports. I have 2 powered Anker hubs plugged into my iMac. Will the base Mac Mini allow me to plug in the Anker hubs I already own?
Will I need to get thunderbolt hubs or can I use USB hubs?
1+2 yes, but 16 GB would be more future proof. If you currently have 8 GB in your Intel then 8 GB will work in the M2, too.

3 dunno, market changes too fast. Also depends on what you want for color accuracy and the like. Get something low DPI so that non-scaling plugins don't pose a problem.

4 a USB hub is sufficient. You can buy USB-A to USB-C adapters to reuse your old hubs.

After reading several reviews I have decided to upgrade my Mac mini M1 16gb/512 to new Mac mini M2 Pro 12 core CPU, 32gb/1tb
Should last me for next 3 years or so…

BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:04 pm But which are your favs?
Dist-Coldfire
Infiltrator
Silo
Portal
Permut 8
Echobode
MFM 2.5
Glitchmachines
+ many more...

Judging by your needs, anything will do

I have an M1 mini base model & it’s superb. I also have a 2017 MacBook i7 2.8, and the m1 is much more powerful in comparison even when running apps in Rosetta mode. I wish that I’d gone for the 512 16GB model though, whilst I don’t run into any memory issues, at times I’ve tried loading some large sample libraries & run into issues, but the main reason is that I run windows in parallels desktop & more RAM would improve the performance of that considerably.

In terms of storage, I do a lot of different stuff on the M1, it’s my main work computer now & whilst 256gb is workable along side an external SSD), I find myself having to manage it carefully as on MACs there’s a lot of stuff that has to be in particular folders. 256 may be enough for your needs though, as I need stuff like XCode etc which takes a big chunk.

My overall feelings towards the Mini is that it’s the best computer I’ve owned, silent, powerful & mostly problem free. I’ve also installed Ventura & it solved a few issues I was previously having with Monterey. I actually bought the 2017 i7 MacBook later on after the m1 mainly to use for programming on the move & the option of bootcamp, and was surprised what a great machine that still is as well, it’s no slouch!

EDIT: sorry I forgot the other questions, I have a cheap ASUS 4K monitor I run at 2k & it’s mostly fine, occasionally when the screen is mostly very black & then some white appears it gets flickery, this seems to be a fairly common issue with a few specific monitors with Monterey & later. It happens a lot less on Ventura but still does occasionally. It can also be reduced by choosing a different colour profile which might actually be what’s made it better. I use the iPad via sidecar as a 2nd monitor when I feel the need. My advice when getting a monitor would be to search the model for issues on the apple support site and buy based on that. Apple don’t seem to have a high priority fixing issues with 3rd party hardware, & often they are the only ones who can address the issues.

USB, I have a 10 port powered USB 3 hub & a couple of other hubs coming off that. One of them is a powered 7 port that gets used for stuff I use on different machines (laptop/MPC) which has mostly MIDI controllers on it, so I can easily interchange. One USB C port I use for an external SSD which is general storage, the other is for an SSD I have with Sample based stuff on it such as IKM etc which sometimes gets moved between different machines.
Last edited by Astralp on Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I own a mini m1 base and a MBA base too.

I use a lot lot of plugins and bitwig (I think much more plugins than you).

My memory usage was more than 8gb meaning the m1 was needing to swap to simulate more using the ssd. That never created any issue but I guess if you think of one upgrade I would go to 16gb.

In term of raw power, I never had any issue for creating and mixing. But trying to master on the same track was a bit much (I use izotope 10 advanced). Some songs were cracking. (So finally I bought a mbp m2 pro with 16gb/1tb).

For usb port and screen, I cant tell sorry.

Astralp wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm I have an M1 mini base model & it’s superb. I also have a 2017 MacBook i7 2.8, and the m1 is much more powerful in comparison even when running apps in Rosetta mode. I wish that I’d gone for the 512 16GB model though, whilst I don’t run into any memory issues, at times I’ve tried loading some large sample libraries & run into issues, but the main reason is that I run windows in parallels desktop & more RAM would improve the performance of that considerably.

In terms of storage, I do a lot of different stuff on the M1, it’s my main work computer now & whilst 256gb is workable along side an external SSD), I find myself having to manage it carefully as on MACs there’s a lot of stuff that has to be in particular folders. 256 may be enough for your needs though, as I need stuff like XCode etc which takes a big chunk.

My overall feelings towards the Mini is that it’s the best computer I’ve owned, silent, powerful & mostly problem free. I’ve also installed Ventura & it solved a few issues I was previously having with Monterey. I actually bought the 2017 i7 MacBook later on after the m1 mainly to use for programming on the move & the option of bootcamp, and was surprised what a great machine that still is as well, it’s no slouch!

EDIT: sorry I forgot the other questions, I have a cheap ASUS 4K monitor I run at 2k & it’s mostly fine, occasionally when the screen is mostly very black & then some white appears it gets flickery, this seems to be a fairly common issue with a few specific monitors with Monterey & later. It happens a lot less on Ventura but still does occasionally. It can also be reduced by choosing a different colour profile which might actually be what’s made it better. I use the iPad via sidecar as a 2nd monitor when I feel the need. My advice when getting a monitor would be to search the model for issues on the apple support site and buy based on that. Apple don’t seem to have a high priority fixing issues with 3rd party hardware, & often they are the only ones who can address the issues.

USB, I have a 10 port powered USB 3 hub & a couple of other hubs coming off that. One of them is a powered 7 port that gets used for stuff I use on different machines (laptop/MPC) which has mostly MIDI controllers on it, so I can easily interchange. One USB C port I use for an external SSD which is general storage, the other is for an SSD I have with Sample based stuff on it such as IKM etc which sometimes gets moved between different machines.
Thanks so much Andy! Great hearing from you about this! Great feedback!

Just received my CTO Mac mini - M2 Pro 12 core, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD
This thing is running circles around my previous M1 mini ;-)
Love it :-)

Since I'm also planning to switch to a Mac Mini, I've also been thinking about it and have watched many videos, read reports and also talked to well-known musicians, e.g. which dock/hub they use.
8GB should be enough but it is not very future-proof. In case you need to edit video or use large sample libs. I would rather go for 16 GB!
For a lot of USB ports and then fast external SSDs for samples etc. I would definitely go for a Thunderbolt hub! Depending on the number of USB ports you need, they are not cheap. Calldigit or OWC would be a few well-known brands. For SSDs, many use Samsung T7, for example, 1TB for under 100€.
You can save money on the monitor and often use the old DVI monitor if you already have one. There are cheap USB-C to DVI adapters for about 20€ as well as HDMI to DVI adapters for under 10€. Otherwise it depends on your budget. Many people like those big curved monitors for music production. But I don't have a direct recommendation.
Last edited by 4damind on Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:09 am Just received my CTO Mac mini - M2 Pro 12 core, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD
CTO?

killmaster wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm
Atlatnesiti wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:09 am Just received my CTO Mac mini - M2 Pro 12 core, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD
CTO?
Configured To Order.
On a number of Macs

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”