Forum to discuss MIDI keyboard controllers?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a specific KVR forum to discuss MIDI keyboard controllers ie 49, 61, 88 note etc keyboards? I looked through the forum descriptions and I don't see anything obvious?

I'm looking for a new 49 note MIDI keyboard and am hoping to get some reviews and opinions.

Keyboards are hardware my dude

Alternatively, try Getting Started
I hate signatures too.

Well, I got 4 presently... Got rid of my 49s. Recently got a Korg microKontrol 37 key pretty happy as it has small keys, is mostly metal & has a singular X-Y joystick style pitch bend-mod stick. Smaller keys mean a more compact unit & your hand can span farther & the keys seem more uniform to touch...

Also got an Arturia MiniLab 24 key...It's OK too with small keys but 'reverse' colors... normally white keys are black, blah-blah...It's got the 'touch strip' pitch & mods which actually work better than I would have expected, the keys are uniform feel like the Korg...

Got an old M-Audio Oxygen 8 with large keys clunky feel lower quality but works & a Korg NANOkey which is 24 key but cheapo super-small 'banger' keys with a intermittent velocity 'hit'. It's mostly good for portable but almost prefer qwerty. The pitch & mod sucks because they are 'buttons'...

The first one my fav & 37 keys is about perfect...

There are threads in several subforums, discussing various controllers. Your best bet, imo - is put together a list of controllers you may be interested in.. And do a search across forums. I know I have posted bits about the Novation SL MK3 (or SL MKIII) in a few places, as it is relevant to soft synth control (this forum), and is used for hardware control too (mentioned earlier). So... This "instruments" (which is largely soft synth related), and the Hardware (Instruments and Effects)" sub-forums are a good place to start searching. Anyway - good luck in your hunt. Depending on what you are looking to integrate with a MIDI controller - there are a ton of great options out there, now.

My two cents.. You get what you pay for. Do research.. Will you need NRPN support? SysEx? Multiple synths? Layering? Splitting? Do you want a sequencer? ARPs? Etc.. There are boundless options out there. For me... The Novation SL MKIII is controlling several soft synths (connected Mac), hardware effects, and a handful of keyboards / synths. The documentation is lousy, but I was able to figure out, or find the detail I needed. There are a handful of FaceBook sites dedicated to sharing templates (reusable configurations, pre-made to integrate the SL MK3 with instruments and effects).. and a boatload of other goodness. I use the SL MK3 primarily for 'live' playing.. not programming synths. You need to do a little research on what type of synths, effects, etc... you are going to be controlling.. and how you plan on using the controller... then move out from there.

hth -

Joe

Almost every MIDI keyboard will play notes and start-stop buttons will work if they have MCU support (they almost always do) but if you want more out of it, you need to invest in their ecosystem.

If you (want to) use instruments from Arturia, you will get more benefits from Arturia Keylab MKII 88 or Arturia Keylab Essentials, or Keylab Mini series.
If you (want to) use Native Instruments plugins, a controller like A49 (cheap option), or S61 will be the ones you get the most out of your buck.
The same goes for Akai keyboards/pads.

For example, I use Studio One and I invested in their Atom series of controllers, I have both SQ and Atom and they have perfect integration with the DAW. But, due to the quality of their product being poor, I want to replace (at least the SQ) with some other keyboard. So, also keep that in mind when investing.

I advise minimum of 61 keys for the large keyboard, and 32 keys for the "small" keyboard. I can recommend Native Instruments' Komplete Kontrol M32.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:55 am Keyboards are hardware my dude

Alternatively, try Getting Started
The Hardware forum specifically states that it's for hardware effects and instruments. Since MIDI keyboards don't make any sound of their own (unless you count the clack-clack of the keys), they aren't really instruments. There isn't really a specific KVR forum for discussing peripheral studio gear like MIDI controllers, speakers, headphones etc.

^In practice, Hardware is that forum. I've moved this thread there.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”